Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #136
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm, so what's the difference between principal investigator and principal investigator?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #137
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it might just be the principle ....
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #138
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hmm, so what's the difference between principal investigator and principal investigator?
One can type straight and the other can't, obviously.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #139
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalbiker View Post
I'll never understand this kind of "blame the victim instead of the culprit" kind of thinking. I have no way of understanding what the concept 'justice' even means to these people or if the even value that concept at all.
If justice only mean following the law then I understand you point. But if justice means that the laws should be just also then I do not see your argument. The arguments from a lot of people are that the laws needs to be changed for practical reasons but also more importantly to better balance different interests. Now the interest we have in a society to have information available is not satisfied.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #140
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb View Post
But, there are a GREAT great many of us that would LOVE to have the OPTION of actually purchasing legitimate stories in e-book format.
I was thinking about this. If someone put together a DRM-free DVD of great science fiction that would be at least 5000 books, probably over 10k because of the number of short stories and novellas etc. Most of those I'd be able to buy the pbook of for about $5 or so if I scrounged around, but it would involve a lot of work. But even at $1/book that's going to be one expensive DVD, $5/book would be almost insane given the actual amount of data.

But when I think about it as "would I pay $10000 for that DVD?", the answer is yes. Ideally over time, but yes. Sure, probably a third of those would be boring, but some of the others I would gladly pay $5 for, because they're good but unavailable.

Now, compared to the current return that any of those authors (or their estates) get from the books even $1/copy is money for very little. Whoever set it up and negotiated the royalties would be worth their weight in gold, because let's face it, the reason some books/stories are so hard to find is that the copyright holders are arseholes.
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #141
Kaadian
Kaadian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I was thinking about this. If someone put together a DRM-free DVD of great science fiction that would be at least 5000 books, probably over 10k because of the number of short stories and novellas etc. Most of those I'd be able to buy the pbook of for about $5 or so if I scrounged around, but it would involve a lot of work. But even at $1/book that's going to be one expensive DVD, $5/book would be almost insane given the actual amount of data.
<snip>
best not go anywhere near this url
Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #142
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would never buy 5000 books. I read 100-150 books a year and that is maybe 30 new books I buy per year. I would happily buy these 30 books as ebook if they were available.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #143
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would never buy 5000 books. I read 100-150 books a year and that is maybe 30 new books I buy per year. I would happily buy these 30 books as ebook if they were available.
Wow. I read a novel in 3-5 hours, and read at least a couple a week. My reading speed on my liseuse is rapidly approaching what I get off paper, but I seem to be spending more time reading now that I carry the liseuse everywhere when I don't normally carry a book.

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up faster on the liseuse once we get either faster page turns or dual-page devices. Work it out... 2s/page at 500 pages is about 20 minutes per book just waiting for the page to turn.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #144
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Wow. I read a novel in 3-5 hours, and read at least a couple a week. My reading speed on my liseuse is rapidly approaching what I get off paper, but I seem to be spending more time reading now that I carry the liseuse everywhere when I don't normally carry a book.

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up faster on the liseuse once we get either faster page turns or dual-page devices. Work it out... 2s/page at 500 pages is about 20 minutes per book just waiting for the page to turn.
So like me you read 100-150 books a year. Paying $1 per book and buying 10000 books is much to much compared to how much you will be able to read. Also you can buy second hand science fiction book for around $1 or less often.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #145
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So like me you read 100-150 books a year. Paying $1 per book and buying 10000 books is much to much compared to how much you will be able to read. Also you can buy second hand science fiction book for around $1 or less often.
Yep. And there's new stuff coming out all the time that you would be wanting to read, too.
Closed Thread

Tags
harry potter, irc, piracy, scanning