Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Screen glare discussions

Excuse me, but I just read somewhere else that the glare of the 600 would make the display "almost illegible" and therefore unusable for prolonged reading and such.

Yes, there is glare. There are others who put glaring screen protectors on otherwise better screens. So what.

I think the 600 is a really great device in terms of functionality. A lot of those functions wouldn't work without the touch screen. So to get all these functions, you have to take some glare into account. But hey, it's still readable.

I just had to post this. Never meant to bother any one.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
I agree. The 600's glare factor does not make it "almost illegible." You want to see glare, look at a gateway or toshiba LCD laptop screen. That's what I call glare. Touchscreen makes it all good.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I think the 600 is a really great device in terms of functionality. A lot of those functions wouldn't work without the touch screen. So to get all these functions, you have to take some glare into account. But hey, it's still readable.
Nothing can be everything to everybody. I have a 505 and a friend has a 600. I played a bit with the 600, was annoyed with the glare and decided I didn't like it. And I don't feel I need the added functionalities like TS, dictionary, etc.
"Readable" is not enough for me, I want to forget that I am using an electronic device and concentrate in what I'm reading, something I can't do with the 600.
So long live the 505. But that's just me.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Count me as another person who appreciates that there IS a glare, understands that it's a deal killer for some people, but who doesn't mind it all that much, personally. I've rarely tried to read anywhere where finding a good angle was the slightest bit annoying to me, and I think people forget that other reading implements (i.e. glossy print magazines and some books) have every bit as much of a glare problem. In my kitchen, I can't lay a cookbook on my counter and read it without bobbing and weaving to read an entire line as it goes around the curve as the page joins the binding. The other day I took a magazine with me to the gym, and couldn't help thinking to myself "If I'd brought my Touch, I could read this on the rack without looking like a pigeon with a neurological condition".
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
That's the beauty of being individuals; everyone places differing levels of importance to just about everything in their lives. That's why questions like "what's the best ______?" are impossible to answer. I just happen to value the ability to quickly and easily annotate text along with the sturdy metal frame of the Sony over the total non-glarity and better contrast of the nook/kindle.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Mike_73
Guru

Hey, thanks for all the opinions. I mean I surely noticed the glare on my 600. Especially when sitting outside on the porch. But that one statement I read that the 600 was illegible just killed me. I take glare into account for having touch and the pdf functions the 505 didn't have as this is important to me. I agree that everyone gets what he needs, but just to say the 600 is not useable at all....

Thanks for sharing your views and backing up that there is glare but not so much that the 600 cannot call itself an ebook reader.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
FlatlineTech
FlatlineTech began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Glare is hardly an issue for this device, I've had my 600 just under a week and think it is fantastic, especially the touch feature, it more than makes up for the the glare which I might add can be easily averted with a very small wrist movement.
FlatlineTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I also agree that both PRS-600 and it's younger sibling PRS-900 have a glare issue. However, in terms of extra features I got with the touch screen, I'm more than happy to live with it.
I found that in 99% cases I can make the glare disappear with a slight tilt.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
And another happy PRS600 user - love it, use it heaps and can read on it for hours. Sure there might be other maybe better devices out there but I haven't got them.

Once I get into a story I forget all about glare (if there is enough to notice) and just happily keep reading.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Glare is only in the eyes of the beholder

Personally I have no problem using my 600 outside in the bright sunlight. The glare is only there and annoying if you look for it.

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
I agree. The 600's glare factor does not make it "almost illegible." You want to see glare, look at a gateway or toshiba LCD laptop screen. That's what I call glare. Touchscreen makes it all good.
Why should I look at toshiba or gateway LCD? It's not only that I don't own them, but even if I would, I wouldn't read using them.

Non touchscreen models have vastly superior screen. Both glare & contrast have suffered in 600. And so did battery life.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
Glare is only in the eyes of the beholder

Personally I have no problem using my 600 outside in the bright sunlight. The glare is only there and annoying if you look for it.

p
I really like this one! Some Karma for you
Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #14
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The Medusa Effect

Glare is there only if you stare. How's that for a cop-out?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote