Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Kindle 2 and intermittant charging

My beloved Kindle 2 seems to be developing a charging fault. When I plug the mini-USB into the Kindle, sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesn't. Usually a bit of wiggling makes the connection but I'm concerned that the problem is just going to get worse until the Kindle eventually doesn't charge and dies a death.

Having been very keen and pre-ordered the Kindle in October 2009 it's now out of warranty. Boo.

I've contacted Amazon who, very kindly, offered me a new charger but I suspect the problem lies in the mini-USB port on the Kindle rather than the charger.

So, a couple question for you Kindle 2 owners (if I may):-

1. Has anyone else found their Kindle 2 develops an intermittant charging problem? If so...

2. Was it the mini-USB port on the Kindle or the charger that was the problem. And

3. If it was the mini-USB port, is there anyway of fixing it? I don't want to have to buy a new Kindle 3 unless I have to.

Thanks muchly.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've noticed this periodically and am 90% certain that it is the cord. the main reason I think that may be the case is that I will have the kindle absolutely flat and notice that even the slightest pressure on the cord can interrupt the charge. I've been a telephone technician for quite awhile so I am very familiar with how erratic the finish ends of some of these cords can be. take them up on the offer of a new cord
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
I do coil the cable up so it is possible that I've "kinked" it and that's what's causing the problem. Thanks kindlekitten.

I assumed that since a good wiggle fixed the problem (when doesn't it ) that it must be a loose connection in the mini-USB.

Nothing to be lost with a new cable I suppose. Amazon, wait up, I've changed my mind!
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*snicker snort*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote