Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Pingu
Enthusiast
Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some basic Kindle 3 questions-Australia

Hi all

I have posted in the general e-reader section but you Kindle lovers may not see my confuddledness there.

My questions are kind of dumb but I need to get my head around these things somehow!

* What is the keyboard used for? It seems a lot of space - why do I need it?

* Can all books use the talking book function or only some? Do you need earphones for that?

* Can I really truly use the 3G version as an internet provider for any site? I see conflicting information-some things say only Wikipedia, others say useable for anything but slow. If I wanted to read my hotmail emails for example or use librarything.com - can I really?

* What is your experience with downloading books from a Wifi hot spot if you don't have 3G? ie an airport/McDonald's etc.

* I just want to be able to read general fiction plus have my kids use it for their reading of chapter books when we travel to save carrying tons of books for us all. I can't decide about 3g or no 3G. I don't need to be instantaneous, I can download books before we leave home...but what are you r feeling on the 3G necessity for an average user.

Please note I am in Australia!

Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi and welcome Sorry I don't know about 3G in Aussie but there are some people on this board who should know so hopefully they will advise.

The keyboard is used for quite a few things. You can search within books (useful when you can't remember who a character is) and you can search across your entire book collection - I use this mainly for finding recipes I want to cook. Very handy.

I also use the keyboard for making notes in a book and for writing online in an online notepad.

Also I write gmail emails with the keyboard.

There are other things you can use the keyboard for including maths calculations but I've listed some of the main ones.

You can use the text-to-speech function if the publisher has allowed it to be enabled on that book. Insometimes find it useful like if I am busy ironing but it isn't as nice as listening to a proper audiobook as it sounds a bit robotic. You can use the kindle speakers or headphones.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
A fellow Aussie here. The keyboard has many functions, like creating collections for organisation, as a search function, for creating notes and highlights and other features.

Not all books have tts but most do.

yes, you can connect to the 3G network, but mainly in cities as the provider is vodaphone and their coverage is pretty poor. Some have been able to connect to Telstra, but I never managed to do this.

You can check your emails through the 3G in Australia as long as you can connect to vodafone. But if in Australia I much prefer using my phone.

Wifi hotspots are fine for downloading.

I bought a wifi but within a week I was interstate staying in a hotel that charged for wifi. Within a couple of days I bought a 3G. But the wifi might suit
you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Keyboard? - as stated in other posts, its can be quite useful. In addition to taking notes, it allows entry of text in fields when using the web browser (searches, email, site logins, ...). There are also a few hotkeys functions available when reading or viewing pictures.

Text-to-Speech? - This functions with all Kindle and MOBI format books unless the publisher has tagged the book to prevent access to the feature. You can use earphones if you want, but don't need to as the Kindle has its own spearkers.

Wi-Fi vs 3G? - WiFi is preferable when available. Its faster and free. 3G downloads can incur fees and is much slower. The only advantage to 3G is coverage. I use my K3 almost exclusively as an ebook reader. I don't make any real use of it as a general purpuse computer/slate. As a result, I have little or no use for 3G. I can always wait until I'm home or at a hotspot to download.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Pingu
Enthusiast
Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys.

#dwig, I'm like you-I'd be using it as an e-reader but you know it's tempting when travelling to have some access to the Kindle as a computer.

Really appreciate the help.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
#dwig, I'm like you-I'd be using it as an e-reader but you know it's tempting when travelling to have some access to the Kindle as a computer..
Fellow Aussie here. Kindle as a computer - the web browser is a pleasant feature, ok for checking your mail or facebook quickly, but it can get quite tedious if you want to do some heavy surfing. I carry an iPhone with me as well and prefer that over the K3 for web surfing.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote