Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #391
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm going to have to jump in here and back up Zelda.

She did not call you a troll. She said that when you called someone's use of the word liseuse silly, you would be trolling. I agree. It is also against forum rules. I've jumped on other people before on this issue.

You do not have a right to insult people and belittle their choice of vocabulary, nor to derail discussions on other topics over other people's choice of words.
What? As mentioned above This Whole thread is about the word.

SHE DID ACCUSE ME OF TROLLING, if that is not calling me a troll then nothing is. I'm doing nothing different than others are by wedging the word in and claiming it fits. I'm claiming it doesn't. I object to it and it insults me when it is used.

I have attacked no one, I've insulted no one and certainly no more than I have been insulted.

The whole point of this thread is discussing the word. If you are going to call me a troll for objecting to it then you fit in the same category as Zelda and have no business being a moderator.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #392
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Exactly. If people don't want the WORD and it's chances of catching on to be attacked and debated, then this thread should be closed and no future threads on the topic allowed.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #393
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I still dont understand what the hell we are talking about.

Is this about Arizona???
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #394
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Are there any real life examples of the word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead in any English language publications (i.e. books, magazines, television, etc.) yet?
If not, are any MobileRead fans of the word willing to put the word on the line as it were?
That was the purpose of this thread. Looking for the word, and making publicity. No flame war. No debate.

THIS THREAD HAS GONE WAY WAY TOO FAR. PLEASE KEEP IT DOWN.

ANYONE WHO HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE MODERATION OF THIS SITE CAN START A THREAD IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM AND REFER TO ALEXANDER TURCIC.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #395
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I still dont understand what the hell we are talking about.

Is this about Arizona???
Yes, Arizona doesn't want illegal immigrant words coming into their vocabulary and have passed a law against it. Some people say it's racist, others say it's necessary.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #396
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
ANYONE WHO HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE MODERATION OF THIS SITE CAN START A THREAD IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM AND REFER TO ALEXANDER TURCIC.
Will do now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88014

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-22-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #397
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Yes, Arizona doesn't want illegal immigrant words coming into their vocabulary and have passed a law against it. Some people say it's racist, others say it's necessary.

There was a new law passed in Nebraska yesterday as well. It's expected to be declared illegal (like the immigrants it seeks to ban).
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #398
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
pulling off the band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Insulting people is over the line for sure. But again, the whole point of this thread (as indicated by the "?" in the title is to debate the chances of the term catching on.

Saying it's a silly term from the perspective of English speakers is a valid reason for one to argue why it won't catch on. That's calling the term silly. Now if he's going around saying the people using it are silly, then fine you can say that's a personal attack I suppose. But I didn't see much of that from him.
But he said he was going to do it, and she said that doing it was trolling. I don't see the problem here.
Quote:

It just seems the modding is pretty un-even on this site. There were much more blatant personal attacks that went barely dealt with in the Apple forum for quite a while. Apparently some action was finally taken, though I was shocked no one was banned for it. Guess I shouldn't be as I didn't even get ban when I asked for my account to be banned after getting a deserved suspension for insulting someone!

In short, the mods on this site need to gain some consistency and grow a pair and actually ban some people as the level of discourse on this site frankly stinks at times. Part of it's just the international make up I think, as I've never found a hugely international forum site that worked out well. Anyone know of a good American centered e-readrer forum site?
There's only one overriding problem here at MobileRead, but I can't discuss it in public.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #399
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There's only one overriding problem here at MobileRead, but I can't discuss it in public.
If you could PM, I'd appreciate it and not pass it on to anyone.

If there's some chance of a major improvement I may take back my request for my account to be closed. As is, the sites full of way to much bickering that is just not dealt with well at all by mods IMO--but that's for the feedback thread.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #400
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
*shrug*

I went to central mexico without a permit and they told me to get the f*ck out.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #401
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Question ahhh what?

@kennyc
you feel it - as you have stated - insulting, being confronted with the usage of a foreign, in this case, French word in a discussion led in the english language, right.

@dmaul1114
replace all following cases of the lexeme 'insult' with 'disdain' and feel equally adressed
  • Now it is absolutely clearly VISIBLE by reading this thread's title i.e. even without entering it, that this thread's matter of discussion will be a french terminus technicus, for the deviceclass this boards are dedicated to.
  • the threads location (main i.e. english, lounge and NOT the french subforum) hints already, that, apart from the fact, that the discussed terminus is french, the discussion itself will be lead in the english language.

Thus, as already a brief examination of the threads outer attributes must have revealed its (in your personal case - insulting) nature - I really ask myself:

What, by the tablet of Calliope, actually made you not only enter, but even re-subscribe to such a discussion?

T'is a behaviour so far from any logical explanation, that I feel tempted to call it Koân-reenactment.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #402
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
The word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead?

The word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead?

My goodness, 27 pages and counting and not one person checked...

Are you all thick?

I was under the impression that most people here were literate but obviously not...

If you had just checked

You would have seen that the answer to the question posed in this thread is yes the word liseuse is being used outside of MobilRead to describe ebook readers on a few other sites.

So...

YES

Check in the future it will save a lot of people venting about things.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #403
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Okay, I looked at a goo gull, but it didn't help anything.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #404
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
P E A C E
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #405
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Having somewhat lost the thread of this thread I went back and read AprilHare's original two posts. The first post was asking if the word liseuse was popping up anywhere outside MR and the second thread was a challenge to authors to include it in their writings. The purpose of the thread therefor was to promote the word.

Then there were a number of posts saying the word shouldn't be promoted because...well mostly because it's French. There were also a number of posts saying that it would never "catch on" and become part of the English speaking world's general vocabulary. As far as I can tell this second issue was never part of the OP's question or challenge and so is irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

So the issue of the thread has been whether the word liseuse is or should be acceptable to right thinking English speakers. What's weird for me is that I'm English and, as such, temperamentally and instinctively Francophobe - Francophobia runs in our blood, it's not a thought out position - it's a habit. But even given my genetic Francophobia I have been aghast at some of the vitriol that has been displayed by some of those arguing against the acceptability of the word. We've even had the suggestion that such vitriol is the inevitable consequence of trying to have an international forum - see what happens when you let Johnny Foreigner into the discussion. Then we've had a new thread started to complain about the moderation of this thread - which in a twisted way has used the fact that one of the participants in the discussion is the moderator to impugn that person.

I've been referred to on this thread as a whacko - some of you are freakin' sickos. Relax a bit, it's a word, it's a nice word I think but if you don't like it fine - this thread was never for you. It was for people who do like the word and think it would be interesting/fun/diverting/amusing or some other mildly positive attitudinal adjective, to see it gain wider acceptance.

Oh, and for the record I think that starting the complaint thread complaining about the moderation of this thread is bang out of order.
Closed Thread