Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Why there isn't a perfect e-book reader (Gizmodo)

Matt of Gizmodo tells us why he believes there isn't a perfect e-book reader (yet). In short:
  • E-Ink is expensive, slow and "boring" ("No color, crummy contrast, crappy resolution")
  • Standard LCD requires too much power and isn't comfortable to the eye
  • Plastic Logic's reader, the "rosiest picture of the future of electronic paper displays", will require new fabs to produce it, it will be very expensive, and it will still be without color first
  • Pixel Qi's reflective LCD displays may even overtake E-Ink technology (full color, fast refresh, no new fabs required)

Full article: Link
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think my Reader is perfect
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
While there are some things there I agree with, "perfect is the enemy of good enough."

While I look forward to new advances, I enjoy reading with the technology as it exists now.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Most books arent with pretty pictures anyway, so a better screen isnt really needed.. What is needed is more competition on the interface field.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
While there are some things there I agree with, "perfect is the enemy of good enough."

While I look forward to new advances, I enjoy reading with the technology as it exists now.
I agree. I don't see the reader I really want being available for at least a few more years. Until that time, the Kindle adds enough to my reading life to make it worthwhile. By the time that mature device comes around, I'm sure it will have lived a long life and possibly have had a successor. I see no reason to deprive myself until that time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Most books arent with pretty pictures anyway, so a better screen isnt really needed.. What is needed is more competition on the interface field.
Current screens are fine for novels and such but many textbooks have useful pictures and a good color reader would be a natural for magazine content, blogs, etc. Both these markets are quite large. I would love to have a reader that would work well for all of those things.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
It's interesting, at least from the article's summary above, it seems that the author's opinion is that without color, ebooks are useless.

Of course, most of us here know the truth.

Seems like the majority of the pbooks I read don't have color -- and haven't had color since I was like 5 years old. What does this guy read?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Sparhawk2k
Sparhawk2k is on a distinguished road

Device: none
The mention of Pixel Qi makes me want to pull out my XO/OLPC (same screen) again and try to get some ebook software on there...
Sparhawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Most cars aren't perfect. They burn petroleum based fuel, exhaust noxious gases, get scratched, need new tires and cost much too much.

I mean really, NOTHING in this world is perfect. If you sit on your ask-me-no questions waiting for the perfect "whatever" you will be waiting a long time. Either the readers are good enough for you, if so get one. Or there not, and stick with paper.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
It's interesting, at least from the article's summary above, it seems that the author's opinion is that without color, ebooks are useless.
While I think they're far from useless, I don't think we'll see mass adoption until they have color.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Seems like the majority of the pbooks I read don't have color -- and haven't had color since I was like 5 years old. What does this guy read?
The same books you read when you were 5?

There are two groups of people here... The ones that read for fun (mostly novels, without any pictures in it) and the ones that read for work (mostly text books, with lots of pictures and graphs). The first group already has some very good tools (the current e-book readers) that might not be perfect, but most certainly adequate for the job. The second group will have to wait until there are bigger screens and, maybe even as important, colour screens.

As he only used the Kindle as reference, I think he was looking at the wrong group (the textbook reader, instead of the novel reader...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
They talk about reflective LCD displays for E-reading, but doesn't the JetBook uses the same screen, although it's monochrome? Is there any difference? If it's so good, why then it's only used for JetBook, and the rest use EInk?
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I've read in B&W on a couple of Palm models, and in color on an Ipaq and Dell Axim, and now B&W again on a Sony PRS-700.

Color?
Couldn't care less. Haven't noticed the lack, even coming from a color Windows Mobile device.

Resolution? Contrast?
E-ink looks fantastic, and I consider it an upgrade (for reading) from the VGA display I had on the Axim.

I wouldn't say that an ereader sized computer would be BAD....but I'm sure enjoying having a dedicated reader that's comfortable to read on. I woulnd't mind seeing a couple of applications on the readers (crossword puzzles, Infocom-style text adventures come to mind), but I really wouldn't want to go back down in size to something iPhonish again.

I admit I drool a bit over the Plastic Logic specs.....I'd love to read comics on the larger screen. For travel though, the current ereaders are a great size.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
While I think they're far from useless, I don't think we'll see mass adoption until they have color.
Of course, many current ebooks do in fact contain color and will show up that way when read on a device that supports it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG25 View Post
They talk about reflective LCD displays for E-reading, but doesn't the JetBook uses the same screen, although it's monochrome? Is there any difference? If it's so good, why then it's only used for JetBook, and the rest use EInk?
Power management. The LCD screen requires constant power to refresh it 60 times per second. eInk only needs power applied to display/change the current image. So, the Jetbook needs to be charged after about 20 hours of use, no matter how many pages you turn. The eInk devices will run much longer usage time wise. Also, the eInk screen does have a bit better contrast. The Vizplex sreen is a bit whiter than the gray Jetbook LDC screen.

Practically, if you are willing to charge the device every day or two it's not a big issue. The Jetbooks biggest two downfalls are 5inch size and format support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote