Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Over on CNET today, I see headlines:

"Apple's iOS 7 is almost unrecognizable"

"Get all the details about the new mobile OS
-- a beta of which is going out today. iOS 7
is "the biggest change to iOS since the
iPhone," Apple's CEO says"

How will the mobileread ebook readers be affected?

Do we care?
I would expect the page animations to be gone, to fit with this skeuomorphism purge but, other than that, should make no difference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Well, i wish i had the ipad ios7 but i dont. and ibooks on iphone looks and behaves the same. colour me disappointed.
In plain English, iBooks on iOS 7 on an iPhone is as poor as it's ever been and nothing was done to fix it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naloomi View Post
What's broken in Stanza on iOS 6? It runs fine for me as a reader. Let's me download books from box.com. Please share what is broken.

Chris
Aka naloomi
The rendering engine for one. It's always been buggy and it's never been fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In plain English, iBooks on iOS 7 on an iPhone is as poor as it's ever been and nothing was done to fix it.
I place iBooks in the same bucket as Kindle, Sony, and Nook apps for iOS, or Android, or BB, or whatever mobile OS floats your boat. Talk about minimalist! These apps all share at least one thing in common--almost no formatting options. It amazes me that after all these years none of those companies understand why we want small or no margins on a tiny screen. My guess is that their decision makers never read, at least not on small screened devices.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naloomi View Post
What's broken in Stanza on iOS 6? It runs fine for me as a reader. Let's me download books from box.com. Please share what is broken.
You've obviously never tried to customize the layout among other things.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Because you don't have an updated version of iBooks?
iBooks is not part of the OS, so why would you expect it to have changed?
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
The rendering engine for one. It's always been buggy and it's never been fixed.
Huh. I've never heard that. Care to detail?
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #23
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
None of the non-stock Apple apps (such a trailers, ibooks, Apple store, etc.) have been updated yet because iOS 7 hasn't been released. Given that they removed things like wooden shelving from the OS X version of iBooks and that they purged the new iOS of almost all skeuomorphic elements, I'd be very surprised if iBooks doesn't get a refresh in the fall.
Post 12 (right above your post 13) robertc88, said there was a Beta.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #24
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You've obviously never tried to customize the layout among other things.
You're right. I haven't. I download my books from box and read them. It works.
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Because you don't have an updated version of iBooks?
iBooks is not part of the OS, so why would you expect it to have changed?
Oh gawd, I'm silly,. When I spoke of it I had completely forgotten about that minor detail. D'uh.

IN the meantime I have downgraded to 6.1.3 on my 4S. I think the OS is probably well suited to the longer screen of the 5 and whatever comes next but for me, theres way too much screen real estate wasting whitespace in some of the built in apps. I also hate the flat icons and the true multitasking which, if you dont remember to kill the apps, eats your battery. After years of having apps killed when you hit the home button and then later sleep when you hit the home button, its really easy to forget thats all over now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Post 12 (right above your post 13) robertc88, said there was a Beta.
There is a developer beta of the new OS, of which iBooks is not a part. What are you even doing in this thread?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What are you even doing in this thread?
What, is this a "by invitation only" thread?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When I started this thread, I should have put up a warning sign by the cages not to get too close. I don't have insurance for bitten hands.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Only those who pass a basic reading comprehension exam are encouraged to participate.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Only those who pass a basic reading comprehension exam are encouraged to participate.
The nice thing is I don't even have to retort.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote