Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post Windows 7 To Incorporate Multitouch Elements

Windows 7 to Implement Partial Multitouch Functionality Via Special Touchscreen Hardware

Source: PCMag, via AppScout.

It may not, strictly speaking, be "mobile," but I suspect it's of some interest to this community anyway:

Microsoft announced yesterday over at the Wall Street Journal's "All Things Digital D6" conference that Windows 7 will support some of the really cool stuff we heard them noising about a couple of years ago with the Surface Computing concept.

Unlike Surface, this one will use a special touchscreen (rather than cameras and projectors) to work its magic, but we may start seeing it as early as next year ... also unlike Surface, apparently, though they did hint that they're still working on that one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've never been able to come up with any real use for multi-touch though, apart from implementing a on-screen keyboard.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've never been able to come up with any real use for multi-touch though, apart from implementing a on-screen keyboard.
pfff, for being AWESOME, obviously ! multi-touche (especially that demo i saw on youtube) makes me jump up and down clapping my hands together like a little kid. i love technology.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
pfff, for being AWESOME, obviously ! multi-touche (especially that demo i saw on youtube) makes me jump up and down clapping my hands together like a little kid. i love technology.
Groovy video, but I keep trying to visualize it in the workplace. It just seems sort of awkward to have the onscreen keyboard, unless there is a bendy elbow in it or something. The thought of typing straight ahead makes my carpal tunnels ache! Would it allow notebooks to be significantly lighter if they didn't have the physical keyboard? There would still have to be the CPU innards, and a cover of xome sort to protect it. I'm intrigued by the idea. It's less Jetsons and more Foundation, either of which would be cool.

Sorry, this is just my twisted thought process.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah the only real use for multitouch is in multi screen clamshell notebooks and single screen "slates"
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Multi touch gestures are awesome. Swipe with one finger, flip a page, swipe with two fingers, flip 5 pages, swipe with 3 fingers, jump to next chapter.

And there are a lot more which i can come up with.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As opposed to pressing keys to flip pages? Why add smudges to you screen unnecessarily?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
yeah the only real use for multitouch is in multi screen clamshell notebooks and single screen "slates"
You make it sound like those are bad things!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Groovy video, but I keep trying to visualize it in the workplace. It just seems sort of awkward to have the onscreen keyboard, unless there is a bendy elbow in it or something. The thought of typing straight ahead makes my carpal tunnels ache! Would it allow notebooks to be significantly lighter if they didn't have the physical keyboard? There would still have to be the CPU innards, and a cover of xome sort to protect it. I'm intrigued by the idea. It's less Jetsons and more Foundation, either of which would be cool.
actually it made me think of "Minority Report" when i first saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Multi touch gestures are awesome. Swipe with one finger, flip a page, swipe with two fingers, flip 5 pages, swipe with 3 fingers, jump to next chapter.

And there are a lot more which i can come up with.
there you go !!!

Quote:
As opposed to pressing keys to flip pages? Why add smudges to you screen unnecessarily?
with a little luck, the people making the screens will also be smart enough to invent a screen which does not smudge (humor me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
i know ! seriously.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Late to the party, as usual.
Linux is getting multi-touch support this week already.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x_master&num=1

(Multi-Pointer X Going Mainline - Phoronix.com)

Last edited by b0rsuk; 05-28-2008 at 01:01 PM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Eh, unless they can offer some sort of non-tactical alternative, this is pretty much useless for those of us that sit outside the comfortable reach of our monitors.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
To me having good touch screen technology (something that is light, transparent and works well with fingers rather than a dedicated stylus) is far more important than having multi-touch. If you have good single touch hardware, making it multi-touch is really just an extremely tractable software issue.

Though I still don't see much use for multi-touch other than onscreen keyboards.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Though I still don't see much use for multi-touch other than onscreen keyboards.
but... but.. .but... did you watch the demo on youtube ?????
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Things like this don't work for me, I have huge fingers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
but... but.. .but... did you watch the demo on youtube ?????
With peeled eyes...