Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #46
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I used to be hideously guilty of making its "its'" when it's a possessive of it. (For example, Its' Hour Come 'Round at Last.) I could have sworn that I learned it that way once upon a time. Today, though, I believe that somehow I managed to dream that I was taught it, and "learned" it by using it incorrectly.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #47
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Well I confuse it's/its you're/your their/they're when I'm tired. I'm also dyslexic so I have an excuse. Plus English is my second language. I do know and understand the rules though.

My pet peeve, while we're on the subject, is 'would of' instead of would've. I see this often on the interweb. By native speakers. It's so....I have no words for it.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #48
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Plus English is my second language. I do know and understand the rules though.
Then you're doing better than a great number of native English speakers!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Much, much better.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #50
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
This is a favourite of mine - used as an example on a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course a few years ago...

How is this pronounced? GHOTI

Most people (me included at the time) go for "goatee" or "gottee" or some such.

Actually, it's "FISH"

GH = F - as in rough
O = I - as in women
TI = SH - as in addition

Makes your head spin, sometimes
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert