Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
tips/tricks needed; ToC questions from a new Kindle publisher

Our organization is looking into publishing its technical reports for eReaders. I'm testing publishing formats for a Kindle. I'm using a Kindle 2.

I am converting from Word to HTML, cleaning the HTML, and then using Mobipocket Creator to build the opf file on my PC. I then transfer the .opf file to my Kindle 2 via USB and test it.

I have a few questions:

1 How can I populate the "Menu > Go to..." menu selections? I have a feeling that it involves using an .ncx file. Are there instructions for creating this file?

2 In my test opf file, the "Sync to Furthest Page Read" and "Book Description" menu items are grayed out. I have added a book description in the metadata using Mobipocket Creator, but these two items remain grayed out in Menu > Go to". Is there something in particular that I need to do to activate these two menu items?

3 Can additional menu items be added to "Menu > Go to..."?

4 Is there a publishing tips/tricks book, forum, or website that you'd recommend? The users guide that Amazon publishes appears to be written for Kindle readers rather than publishers/developers.

Thank you for any help and/or pointers.
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Welcome to the MobileRead forums!

1. The "Go To..." menu doesn't relate to the NCX file. On the Kindle, the NCX file enables jumping to previous and next navigation points using the 5-way control button. The "Go To... Start Reading" and "Go To... Table of Contents" menu items are enabled by including appropriate Guide item entries in the OPF file.

2. As a general rule, actions that rely on synching (such as "Sync to Furthest Page Read") will only be active for books that have been bought and downloaded from Amazon.

3. I don't think it's possible to add menu items to the "Go To..." menu.

4. Useful resources for you:

Kindlegen, Kindle Previewer and Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines (PDF)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

Kindle Direct Publishing - Community Forums
(excellent resource for info and advice from other users of the Kindle Direct Publishing interface on creating, formatting and publishing ebooks for Kindle)
http://forums.kindledirectpublishing...orumindex.jspa

"Kindle Formatting" by Joshua Tallent
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Formatt...=A7B2F8DUJ88VZ

I'd also suggest that the MOBI forum here is perhaps a more appropriate forum for asking questions on this subject - the Kindle Developers Corner forum is more for those creating programming hacks and applications for the Kindle.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yup, DMS pretty much answered it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
DMSmillie--thank you so much for the warm welcome, help, and pointers. I didn't think to go to the MOBI forum; I'll go there next. Thanks again (so very much).
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2, publish