Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
Great Gatsby and Kindle

I'm considering a Kindle, mostly for reading classics. I thought I'd start out rereading a classic, The Great Gatsby. However, Amazon wants to charge me $10.95 for what I consider an ebook that should be free.

Is there a way to read this book for free on a Kindle, or must I pay for this classic? Will I need to be paying for other classics too? I was expecting the classic books to be free. Hmm.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
anything prior 1928 are mostly free. there are 16,000+ free books for kindle
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
I'm considering a Kindle, mostly for reading classics. I thought I'd start out rereading a classic, The Great Gatsby. However, Amazon wants to charge me $10.95 for what I consider an ebook that should be free.

Is there a way to read this book for free on a Kindle, or must I pay for this classic? Will I need to be paying for other classics too? I was expecting the classic books to be free. Hmm.
check out our library here
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
wacomme
Enthusiast

Is this through the MobiPocket Guide? I can open the guide in Calibre and I see Gatsby listed. I assume I need a Kindle to read it. Is this correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
check out our library here
Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yes..
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
wacomme
Enthusiast

Wonderful. That's very encouraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yes..
Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I'm considering a Kindle, mostly for reading classics. I thought I'd start out rereading a classic, The Great Gatsby.
The complete works of F. Scott Fitzgerald have been in the public domain in Canada, and other death + 50 copyright countries, for many years, Fitzgerald having died in 1940.

The Great Gatsby passed into the public domain in Australia when that nation entered the year 2011 some hours ago.

Within the next two hours, all works by F. Scott Fitzgerald will pass into the public domain in death + 70 countries, which include all of the EU.

Question to anyone who knows: In two hours or so, will there remain anyplace in the world where his complete works are not public domain, other than the United States?

As for the morality of not respecting copyright, this is an individual matter that is endlessly debated on the internet with no conclusion.

Will a R.I.A.A. of literary classics pop up and try to catch and punish you for downloading something by a long-deceased author? This is really quite unlikely, especially with the works found on this site, which are all public domain per the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (the international treaty providing a minimum copyright period some countries like the US and UK add extras on top of).

P.S. Thank you for a terrifically well-timed question!

P.S.S. If you find yourself abroad, or decide that you are not going to respect US copyright, you might want to google "Project Gutenberg Canada" and "Project Gutenberg of Australia."

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-31-2010 at 06:16 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
In the US, there was a renewal of copyright in 1953 by his daughter:

renewal #: R109367,
date: 23Mar53
The great Gatsby. © 10Apr25, A855444.
Frances Scott Fitzgerald Lanahan
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
wacomme
Enthusiast

Very interesting and informative.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Is there a way to read this book for free on a Kindle, or must I pay for this classic? Will I need to be paying for other classics too? I was expecting the classic books to
be free. Hmm.
Check out the link below for our library before you try PG or other free sites.

Our books are better formatted by our own members, checked for errors and extraneous pages.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The edition referred to by the OP contains a preface, explanatory endnotes for select passages, and a brief bio with commentary written by the publisher; all of which I'm assuming retains a copyright. Stuff like that is why even most of the classics have both free and non-free versions. (though this one doesn't appear to have a free one on Amazon, obviously)
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
wacomme
Enthusiast

Smile

Thank you. The volume is extensive.

I'll buy I Kindle tomorrow as a birthday gift to myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Check out the link below for our library before you try PG or other free sites.

Our books are better formatted by our own members, checked for errors and extraneous pages.

Enjoy.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
In the US, there was a renewal of copyright in 1953 by his daughter:

renewal #: R109367,
date: 23Mar53
The great Gatsby. © 10Apr25, A855444.
Frances Scott Fitzgerald Lanahan
Hacker!
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
lol 3bay... I actually looked for the book on the Gutenberg Project page and they had a reference to the copyright renewal
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Wonderful. That's very encouraging.
Please note that this book is NOT in the public domain in the United States. You will be breaking copyright law if you download it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote