Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Pocketbook IQ features?

Forgive me for the intrusion, but I've been trying to find some more detailed information about the Pocketbook IQ without much success. It's quite possible because I don't know where to look.

I have practically zero experience with tablets and Android run devices, so I need some clarification. When you say it's possible to use apps on the device, what does that mean? Can I for example take notes on it? or use something like OpenOffice to say, calculate grades for my students? or connect it to a projector to illustrate a lesson point? Or am I better off looking at a tablet PC for that? The price of the device would be great for me, not to mention the size - my laptop is just about going to break my back.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Android is a cellphone Operating System. It has several thousand Apps available for it but most are smaller and simpler than what you'd find on Windows/Linux/MacOS.
So notepad apps are a yes but OpenOffice is a definite no.

The basic hardware is PDA/Smartphone/eReader/Media Player type; ARM-based CPU running at sub-GHz Speeds, with limited DRAM, limited storage. So performance is likely to be sub-Netbook grade; suitable for dedicated gadget work but not for full computer needs.

A netbook or tablet PC is your best bet if you're looking at OpenOffice.
Or, if you know exactly what you need and your main need is an Office suite, maybe a Windows CE tablet running Softmaker Office.
And even that's a stretch.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I suspected I saw something shiny and convinced myself it was exactly what I needed. Good thing I'm not an impulse buyer.

What I need is a light-weight device with a basic office-like suite which would enable me to take attendance in class, show an occasional powerpoint presentation to illustrate a lesson point, and keep and update a grade sheet I can refer to as necessary. Basically, something I can shuffle back and forth without breaking my back.

I've asked for input from members at the Which one should I buy thread but it'll probably be a case of you want too much for too little money. Still, I can't find out if I don't ask.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
This is a lightweight office suite which might be interesting for you if you get a PBIQ:

http://www.androffice.com/
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic

Hmm, this is interesting. It might be a solution to my problem, then, since my in-class usage would be limited to showing them where they are with their grades/attendance, and a need for PP slides could be avoided by exporting them to jpg and hooking it up to a projector (can I assume this would be doable?).

Otherwise, it can double as my reader - I especially like the TTS feature since I get motion sickness and can't read while I'm traveling. Thank you for the link!
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Hmm, I've noticed there are no news of the project since February.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic

Well, at least you pushed me in the right direction. I'm googling to see if there are any office products for Android. One of the first hits is Quickoffice, and ThinkFree is another one. I think it's worth exploring more.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Forgive me for the intrusion, but I've been trying to find some more detailed information about the Pocketbook IQ without much success. It's quite possible because I don't know where to look.

I have practically zero experience with tablets and Android run devices, so I need some clarification. When you say it's possible to use apps on the device, what does that mean? Can I for example take notes on it? or use something like OpenOffice to say, calculate grades for my students? or connect it to a projector to illustrate a lesson point? Or am I better off looking at a tablet PC for that? The price of the device would be great for me, not to mention the size - my laptop is just about going to break my back.
I've got Dell Streak, another Android gadget.
I'm using "Quickoffice", which came pre-installed and works fine enough.
On "Google approved units", you directly can access the Android market, similar to the iTunes store.
IQ won't get that approval (no cameras and other gimmicks, Google expects for this smartphone-dominated market), so you have to download the apps from other sources.
No problem, you just download a .apk file, which even can be done on the unit's browser itself.
I don't know about IQ. But Streak offers a docking station, so you can connect to a beamer or TV.
BUT: The resolution is low, the quality is mediocre. No comparison to, let's say, watching a movie via iPhone on TV.
And I'm not sure, whether there will be a docking station or adapter for IQ.

IQ, for an Android unit, is extremely cheap. Usually, Android is on smartphones and this means > € 400.
You'll get exactly what you pay for...

From what you briefly describe, I think IQ is the wrong unit for you.
You don't even mention eBooks, which is it's core purpose.
Your description clearly points towards netbook/sub-notebook - and I guess you'll be way more comfortable with such...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've got Dell Streak, another Android gadget.
I'm using "Quickoffice", which came pre-installed and works fine enough.
On "Google approved units", you directly can access the Android market, similar to the iTunes store.
IQ won't get that approval (no cameras and other gimmicks, Google expects for this smartphone-dominated market), so you have to download the apps from other sources.
No problem, you just download a .apk file, which even can be done on the unit's browser itself.
I don't know about IQ. But Streak offers a docking station, so you can connect to a beamer or TV.
BUT: The resolution is low, the quality is mediocre. No comparison to, let's say, watching a movie via iPhone on TV.
And I'm not sure, whether there will be a docking station or adapter for IQ.

IQ, for an Android unit, is extremely cheap. Usually, Android is on smartphones and this means > € 400.
You'll get exactly what you pay for...

From what you briefly describe, I think IQ is the wrong unit for you.
You don't even mention eBooks, which is it's core purpose.
Your description clearly points towards netbook/sub-notebook - and I guess you'll be way more comfortable with such...
I'm actually looking into a netbook as a possibility, but it would need to be cheap as I'm currently paying for my postgrad through my nose. Add another €200 to that smartphone price tag and you've got my monthly paycheck.

I'm aware of the limitations. The fact that it's cheap is it's number one drawing point for me. It's a given that it would be used as an ebook reader, and I really love the TTS option for traveling, as my motion sickness is too severe for me to read. (Plus I do have an e-ink reader, a 6" EZ Reader.) I might find what I'm looking for, I might not any time soon. All I know is I can't lug this thing around any more...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I'm actually looking into a netbook as a possibility, but it would need to be cheap as I'm currently paying for my postgrad through my nose. Add another €200 to that smartphone price tag and you've got my monthly paycheck.

I'm aware of the limitations. The fact that it's cheap is it's number one drawing point for me. It's a given that it would be used as an ebook reader, and I really love the TTS option for traveling, as my motion sickness is too severe for me to read. (Plus I do have an e-ink reader, a 6" EZ Reader.) I might find what I'm looking for, I might not any time soon. All I know is I can't lug this thing around any more...
Maybe a 2nd hand PocketPC or PalmPilot would be an option?
I've used those intensively.
Tons of apps, office oriented, TTS and so on.
You easily should get one in your price range.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
citac
Fanatic

I will definitely need to look into other options. I hadn't thought of those, thanks for the suggestion. Ideally, I'd like to find something locally to avoid shipping costs and tax, which was very high when I got my ereader. Trouble is, these types of devices are either extremely rare here, or extremely expensive. I'll most likely end up getting a second hand netbook. I do like the IQ's form factor... Perhaps at a later time.

Tags
pocketbook iq