Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 03:23 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question Are there Libra 2 B/W available from Kobo anywhere?

I waited to know what the new Kobos would be before buying a new Libra 2 to replace the one stolen in January. I was very disappointed that the new Libra was colored ink only, with resultant very poor definition.

In France, only reconditioned Libra 2 B/W are available, either from Kobo or Fnac, for 170 €. I wonder if it is the same elsewhere. There are some available from resellers, but I want the convenience of Fnac if I have problems with it.

I ordered one and hope the screen will be decent - the first one was distinctly more yellow than my Sage.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:17 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Libra 2 is still in stock on Amazon US, as well as Amazon FR:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B09HSRGZRL

It's likely that Kobo has put all of its production capacity behind the new models, but perhaps stock of the Libra 2 will rise again once the pre-order period for the new models is over.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #3
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
In Spain the Libra 2 was on sale yesterday for just over €160 at Media Markt. Today it is already at its usual price, but you can buy it without any problems. I haven't looked elsewhere.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
In Italy, Kobo Libra 2 (Black and White versions both) are still available in the official Kobo store (199.99€)

Both versions are also available on amazon (189€ and 199€). The white one was flagged as "low stock" in the last few days, but it's now flagged as "fully stocked" again.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:58 PM   #5
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all. I am pleased with my refurbished Libra 2, and its being white instead of formerly black: it looks good since the screen is whiter than my stolen black one's was. It was 30 € cheaper than a new one would have been, and has the same 2 years guarantee - Fnac exchanges it if there are battery problems.

I find it very slippery though which I don't remember from the black one - it was stolen in January though so I might be mistaken. But it is annoying enough that I just ordered a transparent shell with reinforced corners (9 €). I still have the cover from the old one, but it is only to protect it when traveling, too bulky and heavy for reading.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you all. I am pleased with my refurbished Libra 2, and its being white instead of formerly black: it looks good since the screen is whiter than my stolen black one's was. It was 30 € cheaper than a new one would have been, and has the same 2 years guarantee - Fnac exchanges it if there are battery problems.

I find it very slippery though which I don't remember from the black one - it was stolen in January though so I might be mistaken. But it is annoying enough that I just ordered a transparent shell with reinforced corners (9 €). I still have the cover from the old one, but it is only to protect it when traveling, too bulky and heavy for reading.
Heavy? I'm using one of Kobo's covers and I do not find it heavy at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Heavy? I'm using one of Kobo's covers and I do not find it heavy at all.
Jon, in our lifetime, we are used to the weight of real books. A Kobo WITH cover is still lighter than any Hardbound.
And no way could I even move all the books on my Libra2, even if they were paperbacks
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #8
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I find it very slippery though which I don't remember from the black one ... it is annoying enough that I just ordered a transparent shell with reinforced corners (9 €). I still have the cover from the old one, but it is only to protect it in a backpack or suitcase, too bulky and heavy for reading.
I received the shell. It is half the weight of the official origami cover, totaling 275g with the reader, instead of 331 with the cover. It makes reading very comfortable and is less bulky than the reader with cover in my handbag.

Last edited by anacreon; 04-28-2024 at 01:38 AM. Reason: insert missing words
Old 04-27-2024, 06:48 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is it some want their Reader to be as light as possible when they are already lighter then a hardcover (as @theducks correctly said)?

I find my Libra 2 with Kobo cover to be a perfectly good weight to be able to hold it in one hand.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:39 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Why is it some want their Reader to be as light as possible when they are already lighter then a hardcover (as @theducks correctly said)?
Because people are different, their hands and wrists are different and the way they hold their ereaders are different.

"Lighter than a hardcover" doesn't mean much to me. I always found standard hardcovers almost impossible to read - too large and too heavy. I mostly read mass market paperbacks, and found even some of those too heavy.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-27-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:45 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Because people are different, ...
Such a difficult concept.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:30 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I find my Libra 2 with Kobo cover to be a perfectly good weight to be able to hold it in one hand.
Disabled people for once. I couldn't deal with paperbacks because I couldn't keep them open. Hardbacks I could at least lay flat on a table. An e-reader I can hold one handed is a game changer

It's unfortunate kobo is sticking to the large and heavy body of the Libra. I would rather have one with slim bezels all around and no buttons or Kindle Keyboard type page buttons on the sides
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:15 AM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Disabled people for once. I couldn't deal with paperbacks because I couldn't keep them open. Hardbacks I could at least lay flat on a table. An e-reader I can hold one handed is a game changer

It's unfortunate kobo is sticking to the large and heavy body of the Libra. I would rather have one with slim bezels all around and no buttons or Kindle Keyboard type page buttons on the sides
Shame that they discontinued tyr Forms. That was truly light, lighter than the Libra 2.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:22 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would have no way to hold an ereader with slim bezels all around. Putting it on a table or in a stand is not an option for me, I'm nearsighted and read holding the device in my hand. I can't hold it without a proper bezel.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:15 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I sometimes find a device that's too light and thin not comfortable to home.