Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill crystals View Post
Where do I find screensaver.png?
Go to extensions/AdToggle/bin and you will see it
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricocarlos View Post
I extracted the zip to the extensions folder and rebooted but it doesn't appear in the Launcher menu.
Is your menu.json here: extensions/AdToggle/menu.json ?
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
funkjunky
funkjunky began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Thanks for this!

The banner area would be a great place for contact info. I tried adding "cp -f /mnt/us/extensions/AdToggle/bin/banner.gif /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver/banner.gif" and dropping in a 600x90 banner.gif but it seems to break the script. Any idea why?

Also, it would be great to have a companion extension "WP Update" for changing the wallpaper without having to go through two reboot cycles.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
If you need to place a banner but you don't want ads on your kindle, you need:

- NO /mnt/base-us/system/.assets folder
- YES /var/local/adunits folder
- place the banner in /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver/ folder

Hope it works!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
funkjunky

I tried simply adding a line to copy a banner.gif in the toggleads.sh written by vaniaspeedy but the act of modifying the script seems to make it un-executable. The permissions don't change though.

Are you saying that I need to chmod +w /var/local/adunits as well?
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjunky View Post
I tried simply adding a line to copy a banner.gif in the toggleads.sh written by vaniaspeedy but the act of modifying the script seems to make it un-executable. The permissions don't change though.

Are you saying that I need to chmod +w /var/local/adunits as well?
AFAIK, the script I wrote runs as root, starting in / . Also, I haven't dug around too much, but are the banners gifs, 600x90px? I can't find any on my device, but are you sure they are that size and not png?

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 02-29-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
If you need to place a banner but you don't want ads on your kindle, you need:

- NO /mnt/base-us/system/.assets folder
- YES /var/local/adunits folder
- place the banner in /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver/ folder

Hope it works!
Could you elaborate on the specifications for the banner? ie, file name, dimensions, etc? I haven't played with this yet.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjunky View Post
Thanks for this!

The banner area would be a great place for contact info. I tried adding "cp -f /mnt/us/extensions/AdToggle/bin/banner.gif /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver/banner.gif" and dropping in a 600x90 banner.gif but it seems to break the script. Any idea why?
Seems like solid code to me, you have absolute paths and the file is there. No idea

Speaking of contact info, I put mine on the screensaver. Just sayin'
Quote:
Also, it would be great to have a companion extension "WP Update" for changing the wallpaper without having to go through two reboot cycles.
That would be great! What do you mean by wallpaper and where is the file stored?

Feel free to add to this code, I can either add it to the main post with you as a co-author or I can add a link to your forum thread if you choose to post on this separately. Just remember to credit pathartl for the original script.

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 02-29-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
New ad remover with easy screensaver chooser

Hey guys,

I did this some time ago and thought some of you would enjoy that!
It is a new ad remover based on Pat Hartl's where you can choose the screensaver you want without connection to the computer or restarting! Unfortunately, the screensaver changes only on the second time the screensaver is used but still faster than a reboot. Maybe with a stop of the framework that would be improvable?!
Maybe the instructions are not all that great... Please give me feedback!
Enjoy!!!
Attached Files
File Type: gz noads.tar.gz (37.2 KB, 265 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
Could you elaborate on the specifications for the banner? ie, file name, dimensions, etc? I haven't played with this yet.
These are the commands:

PHP Code:
mv /mnt/base-us/system/.assets /mnt/base-us/system/.assets_backup 
PHP Code:
cp /mnt/base-us/banner/banner.gif /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver/banner.gif 
It's pretty easy. I made a small banner extension to change/remove the banner based on these commands.
BTW,if you remove ads by deleting the adunits folder, you have to restore the adunits folder!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
funkjunky

Been a while since I've done any hacking on my xp box. I was editing the script in wordpad and saving it in dos format. That's what I get for not using a proper text editor!

Confirmed that the banner is a 600x90 gif. A nice place for a little reward note and contact info.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

As you can see in post 4, Emrexcem posted some code. I finally got around to testing it, and I am blown away. Turns out it fundamentally remakes the kindle into a non-ad version, allowing us to be able to use YiFanLu's custom screensaver mod - http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/

I've updated the toggle to v2, and I think this is the final version. There is really nothing more to be done.

Delete ads using the code from post 4, install the screensaver hack, and be happy.

Note - this DOES remove the banner spot at the bottom of the screen, so if you want to keep it use the legacy versions.

This post is on my site: http://ebookjuggler.com/kindle/remov...-kindle-touch/

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 03-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Would be even nicer having Ads on / Ads off as seperate options in the Launcher, i.e ToggleAds and the two submenus. As a very final version ;-)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Would be even nicer having Ads on / Ads off as seperate options in the Launcher, i.e ToggleAds and the two submenus. As a very final version ;-)
My my, how spoiled we are...

Check the first post, added v2.1
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
funkjunky

Is this working for anyone with 5.0.4?
Closed Thread

Tags
k_touch, pathartl, remove ads, yifanlu