Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #181
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
It also looks like you only get 1 month of free Amazon Prime service.
After all the hype ...LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #182
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Because then they would have to explain about the various types of DRM and why they can't convert most books - I just want them to add it in on the quiet, for side loading only of non DRM books.
They already do explain: try sending a DRM .azw file to your Kindle (even one that's DRM locked to that Kindle). You get an email about 'no encrypted content'.

I guess Amazon would not have to provide the service themselves, it would be relatively easy for a 3rd party to do it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #183
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems absolutely fine to me. Why don't you like it? You don't have to worry about it, though; you can't buy one .
Ummm... it sounds stupid. That's why?

The things is, it sounds like one of those names that someone threw out and a bunch of teenagers went, "Oh, that sounds cool! Like, totally cool, dude! Right on!" (Apologies if that's not how teenagers sound nowadays.)

I don't want a device with a "cool" name. I want one with a "good" name.

Oh, and I could buy it if I want to. Amazon can't stop me. I'm not officially allowed to buy Kindle ebooks, either, but I do it all the time.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #184
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't like it, don't buy one. Nobody's going to force you to do so. It's entirely your choice. I have no problem whatsoever with the name myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #185
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
They could have done better, imo, but if the device is good then the name will fade out of mind.
That's actually a good point. For all the cracks made about it at launch, no one really seems to mind the name "iPad" anymore.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #186
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't like it, don't buy one. Nobody's going to force you to do so. It's entirely your choice.
You don't say?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #187
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
You don't say?
I believe that I did say .
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #188
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At least they have 3GB of usable storage onboard. Needed for audiobooks. Though a card slot would've been preferred.
I'm more concerned that the Fire doesn't seem to have any card slots, that's going to make it d@mn awkward to watch anything you haven't bought from Amazon.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #189
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
This, really, is the most impressive part. The prices are undoubtedly spectacular.

A Kindle for as low as $79??? I think Amazon might just have put all small eReader manufacturers out of business.
Isn't it great? A plethora of choices.

Kindles will be this Holiday Season's top gadgets. Way to go Amazon!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #190
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
This has probably been posted, but here's the round-up link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Introd....html?x=0&.v=1
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #191
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I shan't be buying one myself. None of these devices offers anything that I want over my existing K3.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #192
avariel
Connoisseur
avariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-505
The tablet is kind of disappointing. Doesn't even have a volume control.

The best thing about it is that it'll force competitors to lower their prices.
avariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #193
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I'm more concerned that the Fire doesn't seem to have any card slots, that's going to make it d@mn awkward to watch anything you haven't bought from Amazon.
You are looking at it all wrong-it makes it d@mn easy to watch everything only bought from Amazon
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #194
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You can buy all 4 new Kindles for $526!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #195
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
So am I. It could be a deal breaker. Need to see what B&N offers and more on Lenovo's offering. It's still a 3-way race for me.