Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #166
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
ordered Kindle non-touch without offers, and a Kindle Fire.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #167
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It says "12th October", if that's what you mean by "10/12".
In the U.S. we put the month first.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #168
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
In the U.S. we put the month first.
I know, but the poster is in Paris, where they don't .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #169
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't understand why they don't offer ePub to mobi conversion as part of the @kindle.com email service. It would be trivial.
Because then they would have to explain about the various types of DRM and why they can't convert most books - I just want them to add it in on the quiet, for side loading only of non DRM books.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #170
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
It also looks like you only get 1 month of free Amazon Prime service.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #171
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Because then they would have to explain about the various types of DRM and why they can't convert most books - I just want them to add it in on the quiet, for side loading only of non DRM books.
Yes. Offering ePub conversion would be a disaster. People would expect to be able to buy DRM-protected ePub books and convert them.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #172
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Looks like we're not going to get the "Touch" in the UK. I'd guess they'll probably release it here after Christmas, when the US demand falls a little.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #173
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
More info: http://www.businessinsider.com/kindle-fire-price-2011-9
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #174
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that no existing Kindle has an expansion slot, there's really no reason to suppose that the new models would have one.
yeah ok
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #175
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed; I just came back from work and saw that the unveiling has been done.

How many here hate the name "Fire"? Show of hands, please.

I mean, hey, I give them credit for pricing it under the $200 barrier. That's big news, surely. But "Fire"? Really?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #176
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed; I just came back from work and saw that the unveiling has been done.

I mean, hey, I give them credit for pricing it under the $200 barrier. That's big news, surely. But "Fire"? Really?
Seems absolutely fine to me. Why don't you like it? You don't have to worry about it, though; you can't buy one .
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #177
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
Looks as though none of the new Kindle models have an expansion sd or micro sd slot. Can anyone verify this? If there was an available slot I might consider the touch 3g.
At least they have 3GB of usable storage onboard. Needed for audiobooks. Though a card slot would've been preferred.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #178
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
New Model Recap
  • $79 - Kindle w/ Special Offers (non-touch)
  • $109 - Kindle without SO (non-touch)
  • $99 - Kindle Touch WF w/ Special Offers
  • $139 - Kindle Touch WF without SO
  • $149 - Kindle Touch 3G w/ Special Offers
  • $189 - Kindle Touch 3G without SO
  • $199 - Kindle Fire
This, really, is the most impressive part. The prices are undoubtedly spectacular.

A Kindle for as low as $79??? I think Amazon might just have put all small eReader manufacturers out of business.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #179
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post

I don't hate the name anymore. I dislike it, yes. They could have done better, imo, but if the device is good then the name will fade out of mind. I'll find out next month.

I am not impressed with the covers available for the new Kindle Einks, though. Expensive, too.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #180
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At least they have 3GB of usable storage onboard. Needed for audiobooks. Though a card slot would've been preferred.
The cheapie version only has 2GB, with 1.25GB available to the user. That's only 38% of the storage space available on existing Kindles.