Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #121
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Ooh, the Jan 2002 issue of F&SF has stories by Harlan Ellison and Gene Wolfe! Here's the Table of Contents. And it seems you can read the book reviews etc. for free.

So, is it work my while starting a Reading Recommendations thread for it?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #122
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Personally, I'd say yes to a general RR thread for F&SF back issues. People could point out especially good stories in certain issues that might then go onto others' wishlists, which might not otherwise be noticed.

After all, if they really do have nearly 10 years' worth of stuff @ FW, then it'd be nice to have some of it pre-filtered to prioritize the spending.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #123
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ooh, the Jan 2002 issue of F&SF has stories by Harlan Ellison and Gene Wolfe! Here's the Table of Contents. And it seems you can read the book reviews etc. for free.

Yes, go for it! And post a link in this thread so I (and others) can find it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #124
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Stop it.

Kindle formatted writings can be read on almost any electronic device. You don't need Kindle hardware.
Could you please explain to me how to read Kindle books on my Sony PRS-505, then? Because I'm just not following you.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #125
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Could you please explain to me how to read Kindle books on my Sony PRS-505
Thus the word almost in my post.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Go ahead and explain to Worldwalker how to strip the DRM from Kindle eBooks in case F&SF has DRM and then please explain how to convert to ePub.

I'd like to read this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
You're being a little childish and mean spirited. There is NO reason to ill wish someone simply because you aren't getting your way.

There are PEOPLE behind this company. PEOPLE with lives and families. You do NOT need this magazine in order to live. No one has denied you anything and you have no rights that were violated. Why on earth would you wish financial ruin on someone over a tantrum?
When the people in charge make a really bad business decision that could hurt the company, then people not in charge may very well be affected. This is going to be a really bad business decision that I feel will lose the company money. There surely has to be a way to get the magazine out in multiple formats with a subscription as to not lose customers and they can still go with Amazon.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #128
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When the people in charge make a really bad business decision that could hurt the company, then people not in charge may very well be affected. This is going to be a really bad business decision that I feel will lose the company money. There surely has to be a way to get the magazine out in multiple formats with a subscription as to not lose customers and they can still go with Amazon.
There is a huge difference between saying "I think this is a bad decision that will affect the company adversely" and "I hope they fail & go bankrupt because I don't like/agree with what they did."

I can understand your frustration with the exclusive deal but please don't forget that there are people’s lives that are affected.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #129
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
There is a huge difference between saying "I think this is a bad decision that will affect the company adversely" and "I hope they fail & go bankrupt because I don't like/agree with what they did."

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #130
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
According to Gordon Van Gelder, he's trying to do what he can within the budgetary realities of publishing. He's stated that, while he'd prefer to make F&SF available in as many formats as possible, the marketing and promotional opportunities available with the exclusive Amazon deal are too good to pass up.

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/blog/forum/topic.php?id=833

I'm seriously considering making F&SF my only paper fiction sub, just because I like the mag so much and hate to give it up.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #131
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
His statement:

Quote:
Since I got back from Seattle, I've been swamped, so I haven't had a chance to post my thoughts here. But I have been following this thread and I'm sorry that we'll be losing some of you subscribers because of my decision to go with Amazon.com exclusively.

My basic approach has always been to make F&SF available in a wide variety of formats, so the decision to go only with Amazon.com wasn't one I made quickly or lightly. But after looking at the exceptional marketing and promotional opportunities that this arrangement offers us, it made sense to me for us to hitch our wagon to Amazon's.

I hope some of you who are saying goodbye now will find that you miss us and you'll come back to F&SF, either in electronic or in print format. (I should add here that I got a lot of reading done on the trip to Seattle and the submissions I read included a lot of exciting stories, including a big and diverse helping of science fiction [as opposed to fantasy].)

But for those of you who are saying goodbye now, I'd like to say thanks for your support. I'm sorry we'll be losing you.

---Gordon V.G.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #132
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
According to Gordon Van Gelder, he's trying to do what he can within the budgetary realities of publishing. He's stated that, while he'd prefer to make F&SF available in as many formats as possible, the marketing and promotional opportunities available with the exclusive Amazon deal are too good to pass up.

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/blog/forum/topic.php?id=833

I'm seriously considering making F&SF my only paper fiction sub, just because I like the mag so much and hate to give it up.

I just read that message from GvG, and this really irritated me:

Quote:
hope some of you who are saying goodbye now will find that you miss us and you'll come back to F&SF, either in electronic or in print format.
I'm not saying goodbye, you're leaving me!

Anyway... I'm reading the Jan 2002 issue at the moment. I'll pop up a review thread when I've finished it.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just read that message from GvG, and this really irritated me:

I'm not saying goodbye, you're leaving me!

Anyway... I'm reading the Jan 2002 issue at the moment. I'll pop up a review thread when I've finished it.
I posted this as part of my message...

Quote:
You say you hope we miss you enough to go back to you. Explain to me how to do that for people who do not have anything to do with AZW and do not format convert.
I really hope I get an answer to that. The way he said we'll come back was really snotty. It was like "we are so good you won't be able to keep away". As you said, we aren't leaving, they are. And while I don't want them to really fold. I do want them to lose enough money to stop doing this with Amazon and go back to doing what's best for customers overall.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #134
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Okay, if you can't explain how to read them on a Sony 505, how about a B&N Nook?

How about a Kobo?

How about a BeBook? A PocketBook? A Cybook?

How about ... well, any ebook reader that isn't a Kindle?

No, reading a subscription on the computer isn't an answer; if I'd wanted to read things on my computer, I wouldn't have bought an ebook reader in the first place. And that's a particularly ridiculous idea for a magazine, which you generally read while you're going somewhere, waiting for something, etc. (the format is great for that) and if I was going to do that with my computer, I'd need a small cart and a reaaaally long extension cord.

F&SF basically said "If you're not a Kindle owner, we don't want your business." Telling customers to go away seems like a really, really bad idea for a magazine, especially a struggling one.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Okay, if you can't explain how to read them on a Sony 505, how about a B&N Nook?

How about a Kobo?

How about a BeBook? A PocketBook? A Cybook?

How about ... well, any ebook reader that isn't a Kindle?

No, reading a subscription on the computer isn't an answer; if I'd wanted to read things on my computer, I wouldn't have bought an ebook reader in the first place. And that's a particularly ridiculous idea for a magazine, which you generally read while you're going somewhere, waiting for something, etc. (the format is great for that) and if I was going to do that with my computer, I'd need a small cart and a reaaaally long extension cord.

F&SF basically said "If you're not a Kindle owner, we don't want your business." Telling customers to go away seems like a really, really bad idea for a magazine, especially a struggling one.
They have the arrogance to say that we will miss them so much that we will be back. But since they abandoned us for Amazon, we won't be back.