Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
VICROAMER
Enthusiast
VICROAMER began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
5" screen size of the 360 how do you find it

How do users find reading the 5" screen size, does it force one to use a smaller font to get enough text on the screen or don't you notice the extra page turns. I've been researching readers mainly the popular 6" devices and then came across the 360 here, I rather like what I read here and would appreciate any feedback from users.
VICROAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have purchased PB360 after using 6 inch device for several years.
I consider 5 inch PB360 excellent size for portable reader.

Many 6" readers have margin around the text that is difficult to remove for users. I have very small margin around the text on screen, so I get the same amount of text (with the same apparent font size) as for example Sony Reader or Kindle in default setting
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Pocketbook doesn't force you to do anything.
Everything is configurable so it's really up to you; you choose the font, the margins, the alignment, the spacing. You even get to decide how to hold it and which buttons to use for paging.
How much text you get on a screen is strictly up to your preference.
In general, I suggest you worry more about how the device is going to feel in your hand and how you are going to hold it and use it than about how much text you can fit on the screen. Because once you get immersed in the reading you will lose track of the paging just as you lose track of the "black flash"; you won't notice or care if you page 10 times or 12 or 112...

Now, me, I think that 5in is fine as a "paperback" class reader and that it is 6in readers that are "wrong". I see those as tweener devices; too big to be as portable as a proper paperback and too small to be proper hardcover replacements. But since different folks have different ideas of what is best for them, just remember there are 6in Pocketbook readers that are almost as good as the PB360. Ergonomics aren't quite up to par but they're decent enough and they do use generally the same software.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
I have found the PB360 much more comfortable even for pdfs then my 6 inch reader.
The reason is that it is very customizable. For pdfs the horizontal position with text to fit width allows for the original formatting and usually good reading.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
I battled the same question. (I have a hugh tendency to over-analyze everything.) Finally got fed up with myself and ordered the 360. I have had it for 5 months now and read on it just about every day. I just up the font to a comfortable level and never notice the page turns. It just becomes automatic, like turning a page, I bet if you are into a story, you never really realize that you are turning the page.

I am very happy with the 360. I read mostly at night in bed and I can read one-handed and change it so that I hold it in my left hand some then change off to my right hand.

You'll have to do what's right for you, but I'm really happy I took the plunge with the 360. Good luck with your search.
3dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
My first Reader was a Kindle 2, and a couple of months later I bought the PB360 - thinking that I would use the Kindle at home and the PB when I am out and about.
As it turned out, after a some weeks of trying this I found myself reading with the PB360 only (at home as well), and the Kindle just collected dust on the shelf. I much preferred the PB, for me it is ergonomically just right - I can easily hold it in one hand and the page-turn-button sits exactly under my thumb. I never had the feeling that I had to turn the pages more often than with the Kindle.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Before 360 I read for years with 3.5 inch palm. In Pocketbook I use same size font than in it. Short pages have never bothered me. I would not want any bigger reader than 360. I can read it with one hand and it is light enough to hold for hours. It also just barely fits in pocket of my jacket.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've got the font on my PB360 set pretty high, but I don't really mind/notice the page turns. The device is just so easy to hold with either hand and a slight press of the thumb makes a page turn. Very quick, easy and ergonomic.

I've been using my PB360 every day since I've owned it (5 months). I love it because it just works!

Happy hunting ... and reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
The advantages of a smaller reader overcome any posssible disadvantage of a small screen. It's simply easier to hold, to carry it with you. I have set up a font that usually takes me a minute to read a page but the turning is fast and I don't even notice it (1minute/page also gives me an estimate of how many hours it will take me to finish a book )
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I spent three months researching readers before I bought one. I live in Australia, and at the time, Feb this year, there wasn't much choice in Australia and it was pretty hard to get your hands on one to actually see what the differences were.

In the end I fell in love with the PB360, but was worried about the screen size.

When it first arrived, it was still a little worried, it did look small. So for the first few weeks I read in landscape mode, making the pages wider, but shorter. Then I started reading portrait and found I liked that better. It's not overly huge, but it is easy to hold in your hand, it's lightweight, so never feels heavy.

I made the best choice for me. I'm 100% happy with it and very glad I made the decision I did.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
PB 360

I don't mind the smaller screen size, yes I have increase the font a bit, but the comfort of where the buttons are placed out weighs that for me.

Its so portable, would I sometimes like something bigger? Sure, but the cost difference is too much of a put off for me.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have no problems with the screen size. I vary font sizes based on lighting and tiredness, and really don't notice the extra page turns when the fonts are bigger. It's a great hardware and software platform and I'm really enjoying using it.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
VICROAMER
Enthusiast

Thanks for contributions, the 360 sounds like it suits users needs very nicely. However seeing that my reading is at home and my eyes are not getting any younger I think a 6" screen would suit me better.
Once again thanks to those who offered advice.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICROAMER View Post
Thanks for contributions, the 360 sounds like it suits users needs very nicely. However seeing that my reading is at home and my eyes are not getting any younger I think a 6" screen would suit me better.
Once again thanks to those who offered advice.
Just remember that smaller screen does not mean smaller text. It just means more page turns. I use same size font on 5 inch display that I used on 3.5 inch. I just turn pages lot less but even on 3.5 inch that didn't bother me.

Your hands are not getting younger either so check the weight of the device. Lighter it is the better and smaller it is easier it is to hold in different positions. What I specially hate is huge empty frame around screen that just adds size.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
VICROAMER
Enthusiast

After all this advice I am giving the screen size some more thought. Just for fun I loaded up 2 screens on the PC using Calibre one each to replicate 5" and 6" screen size, as close as I can guesstimate anyway as I don't have exact height and width of each so it is a guesstimate, anyhow as people have been saying here I found the smaller screen size of my little experiment quite an acceptable reading size. I suppose there's no wrong choice for me I've narrowed it down to a 360 a 602 or maybe a K3 either one will do it for me.