Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Feature Request for BookDesigner

I've been playing around more with BookDesigner, which ever since the update allowing Reader format books, has been my ideal book-creation platform.

Well, *almost* ideal ;-) I've been looking at footnotes again. Currently, the notes feature works really well for books read in BookDesigner: you create a note and a link, and when you hover the mouse over the link, it pops up the note. That obviously doesn't happen on the Reader - instead, it creates a link which jumps you to the page with the note on it. Which is great! It works and allows for content with footnotes.... But I'm too picky ;-) What I'd really, really like is for BookDesigner to stick the footnote text at the bottom of the page that the link appears on during the pagination process. Essentially to make that page break earlier in order to fit the footnote text in below. This would make for smoother reading with fewer page turns.

This is just a minor complaint, really - as I said, the notes work as-is on the Reader. Also, this seems like it would be a pretty complicated feature to add, but I thought I might as well ask for the moon ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
By all means add a new feature for footnotes, but please, please, PLEASE don't change the existing "note/link" system. It's a brilliant way of doing nice "Tables of Contents" and "hyperlinks" within a book!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can't really have page-bottom footnotes in LRF. It is reflowable, so you cannot just put footnote "three paragraphs below the superscript", as it will only work for a single zoom factor. And there is no tag "show footnote at the bottom of the current page".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Hmm. I suppose you're right, Igorsk, I wasn't thinking in terms of reflowable documents. How does BookDesigner do the chapter/page count footers in LRF? Is there only a single line for footers?

I suppose I'll have to live with my footnotes on a separate page...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote