Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
RootlessAgrarian
Enthusiast
RootlessAgrarian is on a distinguished road

Device: HANLIN V3
OI stable burn version, V3

I recently decided I like OI well enough to burn firmware rather than running the "live" version off the SD card. I grabbed a recent daily (02-28 I believe) and have not been happy with the result. It's slow -- catatonic -- appears to be swapping itself into the ground, pretty much unusable. Kind of ironic really, I just decided this is great software and I want to blow away my Tirwal kernel and commit to OI -- and now I have an unusable reader :-)

I've opened a ticket at OI but was wondering if anyone could recommend an earlier stable burnable daily (V3update.bin) for the V3 (not ext). I have a bad feeling that OI may be getting memory-hungry enough that it doesn't run right on the older V3, but am hoping I am wrong! What's the most recent OI firmware that someone is happy with?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootlessAgrarian View Post
I have a bad feeling that OI may be getting memory-hungry enough that it doesn't run right on the older V3, but am hoping I am wrong! What's the most recent OI firmware that someone is happy with?
I do not think it is a memory issue exactly, because all of the 0.3 snapshots that I have tried have been glacially slow on my v3ext as well. Even a development team 100 times larger than the OI guys could not possibly completely evaluate builds changing on nearly a daily basis. If you are more interested in reliable performance it would probably be better to just get the actual 0.2 release? Unfortunately, that one does not have CoolReader.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I do not think it is a memory issue exactly, because all of the 0.3 snapshots that I have tried have been glacially slow on my v3ext as well.
It is memory issue.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
It is memory issue.
Sorry for my misunderstanding then! I have been lurking the IRC channel for any mention about what was going on with the increased slowness, but I guess I missed any mention of it concerning the Hanlin V3EXT.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Try the last stable release

It's what I'm running on my Hanlin. The daily builds seem more suited to those wanting the bleeding edge or willing to take the rough with the smooth to help test for future stable releases.