Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I believe Pixel Qi got PVI very worried.

If reading on the 3Qi screen is easy on the eyes as it is on the e-ink screens, they could really have a winner. I would love to have e.g. 7" touchscreen e-book reader (I have measured the text in few paperbacks) with a snappy interface and to be able to do a quick Internet lookup based on the text I am reading. White has to be white enough, not necessarily whiter that Vizplex screen. The battery life has to be good (e.g. minimum 4 hours) not necessarily better then Kindle.

I really like what I have seen on the video. Of course, I will make my mind up when I see it with my own eyes.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
no, if you watch the video with the backlight off the colors are still there, but are washed out,...
If we are talking about the video posted above, then it appears, to me, that the screen is in transflective mode. Which means, that the backlight is not totally off.

I haven't seen a video of the Pixel Qi screen in reflective mode, which will be the only relevant comparison to e-Ink.

Has anyone here seen it?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
I don't know if this kind of technology is more or less battery efficient than the e-ink. However all the cpu horsepower of a notebook will drain it quicker than a dedicated reader. As far as heavy reading go, the dedicated device is more convenient for me...
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Now if this was compact and more like an eReader that would be AMAZING!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
If we are talking about the video posted above, then it appears, to me, that the screen is in transflective mode. Which means, that the backlight is not totally off.
I agree.

Quote:
I haven't seen a video of the Pixel Qi screen in reflective mode, which will be the only relevant comparison to e-Ink.
You'd think their demo videos would show all three modes. Makes you wonder why they don't?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Some thoughts on 3Qi mode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You'd think their demo videos would show all three modes. Makes you wonder why they don't?
Just a couple of my thoughts or speculations on this issue.

In this interview, John Ryan mentioned that they added a switch to toggle the backlight. Also, Jepson's blog post is titled as 'Kindle and 3qi display with backlight off - side by side'. So unless they are lying, I believe that they are showing the color screen without backlight.

Now the question is what is exactly this 'color without backlight' mode. Wired reported that the screen has three mode.
1) a full-color, bright, conventional LCD mode
2) a low-power, basic color transflective mode
3) a very low-power, sunlight-readable, reflective e-paper mode
I guess they might have made a mistake in describing the second mode as transflective. It may mean that the screen is transflective, which can be used with or without backlight. Then, by combining color/BW and backlight on/off, we can get the following modes.
a) color with backlight
b) color without backlight
c) black & white without backlight
This may be the three modes that 3Qi is capable of.

This video shows that they added a simple toggle switch to turn the backlight off and on (around 5:44~5:52). I guess that is why they are showing only two modes instead of cycling through all possible modes.

If my guess is correct, they are showing only a) and b) but not c) mode. However, given how good b) mode looks, I would expect c) model will be at least as good as b) mode.

Last edited by soilwork; 06-03-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Typo
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
This video shows that they added a simple toggle switch to turn the backlight off and on (around 5:44~5:52). I guess that is why they are showing only two modes instead of cycling through all possible modes....
There does seem to be some confusion about the modes. Gizmodo refers to it as two mode, but in an older article, it talks of three-mode screen.

When I look at the video, it seems that there is still backlight, even though it's noticeably reduced. I might be wrong, of course, and the screen might just be so good, but it looks like reduced backlight to me.

EDIT: You're right, he does say he turns the backlight off with that white switch. So, maybe it's really that good :-)

Last edited by Sonist; 06-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i think this screen definitely has a market. i can see this technology in versions of netbooks and phones with lcds.

just the battery efficiency alone is worth it. people are always looks for more battery efficiency. if u can market a netbook with 15 hours of battery life, that's going to be an easy sell. doubling the battery life of my phone would also be very nice.

Last edited by markbot; 06-03-2009 at 07:36 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Sonist
Apeist

Is anyone coming up with a tablet format incorporating this screen? I just ordered a K DX, and am just wondering....

(I know Aztac is talking to them next week, but a unit may not come to market for quite a while.)
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Is anyone coming up with a tablet format incorporating this screen? I just ordered a K DX, and am just wondering....

(I know Aztac is talking to them next week, but a unit may not come to market for quite a while.)
Haven't read about any specific company beyond Astak announcing a Pixel Qi device. The thing about tablet/slate PC's is the touch interface might all but eliminate the true epaper mode due to light blocking. So, I am sensing that the first tablet type devices will be Astak's reader w/o a touch and tablet/slates which us an active pen based digitizer under the display itself. And that adds to the cost a fair amount. Still a $500 10"-12" device is very attractive. Even a $300 8" reader that does more than just read.

So, as I see it there are still a number of practical application issues needing solutions. I see the first few devices as all non-touch devices being mostly just retrofit to the new display tech in order to get them out in the wild. Around Q1 of next year is when I think there will be more advanced devices.

That will also give them time to refine the whole process. And as mentioned by Mycropht this display has PVI fudging their huggies. Because, even though eink kicks the the 3Qi's rear end on power, the HUGE advantage is mentioned in the video, in a month from now or so, if it was needed, production could jump from a few hundred displays/day up to 10,000/day pretty much overnight. That is because the displays are made in the very same plants which make LCD's. PVI simply cannot do this because they have been resting on their laurels and not taking the potential competing tech out there seriously. I did find it interesting that the economy has caused a number of production facilities which is actually harming the very device which could resurrect their business in very short order.

It will be interesting long term which tech wins...but that is a decade away and at that time, with luck, none of us will care anymore.

For those comments about something not being in the video, it was all there and discussed and there. I know I had a weird thing happen when viewing the video the first couple times, it started in the middle so I had to manually go back to the start where they are inside looking at two devices. There is also a companion video with Mary Lou announcing the display at some event which is quite interesting, and does not come off as hyperbole to me.

When you listen to her describe how the display works it will make more sense. The major comment she makes about how the displays work is they developed a way to only refresh portions of the display which needed refreshing. So rather than full screen refreshes, just like the new Epson controller, only portions of the display are refreshed as needed. Right there is I bet well of 50% of a display's power consumption, the remainder pretty much being left to the backlighting. And by far the display has been the major power pig on computers. CPU's like the Atom and ARM pretty much use no power unless they need to do something. I am assuming there will be new display controllers which also better manage power as well. but it could be as simple as a controller firmware update on existing systems.

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-03-2009 at 08:23 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I want one of these as a replacement for my big 24 inch main screen.
I want to work with the backlight switched off for most of the time. Even if that means the colors will be washed out.

I sit in front of glaring LCD monitor most of the time and when I switch to my PRS 500 the difference is huge. If they could provide relatively high contrast non backlit solution for my daily work, I would use it even during design work. I would switch the backlight on only if I need to choose color, or see the result I have created.

For writing texts, working with AutoCAD, programming, browsing this would just be awesome.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #27
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
I agree with kacir after all: I would like one for my desktop computer.
But not as an e-reader, since it is grayer than the Kindle, as the interviewee honestly says in the video; says but does not show, hence the confusion in the minds of the optimistic people here.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 AM   #28
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Does Ectaco have any plan to make ebook reader with 3Qi screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I want one of these as a replacement for my big 24 inch main screen. I want to work with the backlight switched off for most of the time. Even if that means the colors will be washed out.
I absolutely agree with you on this. I spend most of my time working in front of the computer so screen like this will reduce headaches significantly.

In addition, 10inch ebook reader with native PDF support will be excellent. I hope Ectaco (make of Jetbook) is working on some project using 3Qi screen. Since they have expertise in building portable ebook reader with LCD screen, they are in the best position to take advantage of 3Qi screen to build a portable ebook reader. I hope they can jump on the opportunity ASAP.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #29
soilwork
useR!

Another video from jkkmobile

Jkkmobile posted their hand-on video of 3Qi screen.

When compared with normal LCD, 3Qi looks much better with or without the backlight.

Last edited by soilwork; 06-04-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
There seem to still be issues with color and reflective.
As far as the B&W I'm very interested in running my laptop that way. But you know what the bad thing about it is?
In order to get more profit, manufacturers will most likely manufacture those portable netbooks with smaller battery to have the same amount of battery life, instead of keeping the battery to have longer battery life!

I'd love going back to B&W!
Though I wonder what's so bad about blurred out pictures in color. We all are happy to have a reflective power effective screen! Even if the colors aren't showing as well, I think it's still better to have them available without backlight, then not having them at all.
Also the colors on the laptop in backlight mode didn't really convince me.
They're probably not meant for photo editing. But if they can display basic colors for webpages that would be nice! At least better than B&W.

This and low light LED powered backlight, and you'd have the perfect screen! (since in bright light you don't need backlight,and in dark environments you need just enough to comfortably view the screen). With current laptops often the lowest setting of brightness is too bright in darker environments.

Last edited by ProDigit; 06-04-2009 at 12:53 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, lcd, pixel qi, sunlight