Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch Goto page navigation

I've search around here for info about navigating to a specific page in a document on the Kobo Touch. (Purchased late 2012).
The last discussion ended in 2010 with it being on the list for a future firmware update.
Since then has anything been done about this very important issue?

Thanks
Arturox

NB: I can't understand how anyone could release a reader that doesn't have a Goto specific page option as part of the system right from the first release.

Next you'll be selling Motor cars without steering wheels.
Ax

arturox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
You can use the slider bar to navigate the book, it’s not has direct as entering the number off the page but it works.

Last edited by tempest@de; 11-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
You can use the slider bar to navigate the book, it’s not has direct as entering the number off the page but it works.
That's not much of an option, it is crude and time consuming, particularly when trying to get to the specific page.

If I want to reference page 276 I don't want to mess about with the slider which because of the poor response of the Kobo controls as a whole, might get me to page 250 or 290, then spend the next however long, going a page at a time to reach the destination page.

If the Tap/Slide control on the Kobo devices was more responsive and consistent, then it might just be usable.

I have to assume then, the firmware update to sort this foolishness, mentioned in 2010 still has not arrived.

Arturox

I'm asking about this on behalf of my wife who has the Kobo Touch.

On the device I use to read Ebooks I can go to a specific page from a menu option.
Ax
Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturox View Post
That's not much of an option, it is crude and time consuming, particularly when trying to get to the specific page.

If I want to reference page 276 I don't want to mess about with the slider which because of the poor response of the Kobo controls as a whole, might get me to page 250 or 290, then spend the next however long, going a page at a time to reach the destination page.

If the Tap/Slide control on the Kobo devices was more responsive and consistent, then it might just be usable.

I have to assume then, the firmware update to sort this foolishness, mentioned in 2010 still has not arrived.

Arturox

I'm asking about this on behalf of my wife who has the Kobo Touch.

On the device I use to read Ebooks I can go to a specific page from a menu option.
Ax
You make a valid point. But I don't recall it coming up before until you mentioned it. Perhaps it could be a made as a suggestion for a "wanted/needed Feature"

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
arturox
Enthusiast

It was, some time ago, but the question has been around for a while.
When I initially searched this Forum for the subject, there were a few postings in 2010 about the lack of page GOTO and it was noted by someone, that it was on the list for a Firmware update.... and again in 2011 there was a thread "Goto Page?"

She bought her Kobo in late 2012, and here she is in late 2013 and still no Goto page.

Very lax... I would have thought a Goto page in a reader was an essential thing.

Arturox
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
It was, some time ago, but the question has been around for a while.
When I initially searched this Forum for the subject, there were a few postings in 2010 about the lack of page GOTO and it was noted by someone, that it was on the list for a Firmware update.... and again in 2011 there was a thread "Goto Page?"

She bought her Kobo in late 2012, and here she is in late 2013 and still no Goto page.

Very lax... I would have thought a Goto page in a reader was an essential thing.

Arturox
Murg suggested to me to roll the finger on the slider bar worked better than touching. And it is. Still pretty crappy though. And you are right the topic has come up time and time again. Even in 2012 and 2013.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
dassie
dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dassie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Why do you need to go to a specific page number? If you want to go back to where you were, add a bookmark; do you need to go to a specific unvisited location, use the table of contents or search in the book itself. If the epub itself is referencing a page number to go to it will probably be a clickable hyperlink.

In regards to your analogy, it seems like you're asking where the hand crank is on your car.
dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
arturox
Enthusiast

I would have thought instead, why would you not on occasions need to goto a specific page number?

In many situations there are no relevant bookmarks, and the table of contents is as bad as using the slider.
I'll give you something specific.
Wife and her friend are reading the same Ebook and discussing...
Friend says, look in the middle of page 276 it gives the name of his old adversary...
(Friend does not give the adversaries name, so you can't search on that).

Wife then need to navigate specifically to page 276 not the nearest chapter, or the useless scroll thing to get maybe to 260 or 280.

On my device, I enter 276 in the writable and it goes there.

There are many other situations when a goto page is required.

Arturox
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If friend is reading on same brand, model, and same font size then page numbers might place you within about 3 page turns of location of friend's referanced page. Reading on electronic devises is different than reading paper books. Even paper books page numbers could differ between hard cover and paper back books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And has been discussed in other threads, even if you are both using ADE epubs which theoretically take font and screen size out of the equation, there can be subtle differences in the page numbering even with that system.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My page numbers are almost always exactly the same between Kobo and Sony and ADE and Sony Reader App and Kobo reading APP. In fact I think they are always the same within a line or two. Of course I always am reading the same edition of a book.

I find the Kobo slider bar unreliable and finicky at best although all the other readers and apps seem to work well. Sometimes you press an arrow on one side and it goes to the first or last page on the other side for example, and this can be frustrating indeed when you are within a page or so.

@robko and filmo: how do you go to a particular page when you want to? Sometimes my HD or even occasionally my mini, just decide to go to the start of the book and I can't think of a good keyword to search on.

Helen
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have 3 different readers that I only seldom switch between when reading same book. Sony T1 will go to page number I enter in seach box. Kobo does not. I am now using mainly Kobo mini because it is so handy. I am now reading Complete Works of F. Scott Fiszgerald I believe down loaded from mobleread.com on my Sony T1. I can have 5 page turns showing Page 70 of 3273 then one page showing Page 70-71 of 3273 next is Page 71 of 3273.

Best advantage of my Sony T1 is if browsing through pages of library book listings big easy to use forward and back page turn buttons in bottom corners of screen. Touch library page number at center bottom of page brings up library scroll bar with book title at top of library page displayed above scroll bar or authors name displayed above scroll bar depending if it is sorted by Author or Title. Most amazing as I move slider on scroll bar author or title displayed above scoll bar changes very quickly and library page only changes when I lift finger from slider. Can't get better than this, except have reader search for known title or author is best.

I bought Sony T1 from Target less than 1/2 normal price when they stopped selling Sony readers.

I still use my Kobo readers and would probably buy 6" Aura if I first saw it in store.

Last edited by filmo; 11-03-2013 at 07:03 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have 3 different readers that I only seldom switch between when reading same book. Sony T1 will go to page number I enter in seach box. Kobo does not. I am now using mainly Kobo mini because it is so handy. I am now reading Complete Works of F. Scott Fiszgerald I believe down loaded from mobleread.com on my Sony T1. I can have 5 page turns showing Page 70 of 3273 then one page showing Page 70-71 of 3273 next is Page 71 of 3273.

Best advantage of my Sony T1 is if browsing through pages of library book listings big easy to use forward and back page turn buttons in bottom corners of screen. Touch library page number at center bottom of page brings up library scroll bar with book title at top of library page displayed above scroll bar or authors name displayed above scroll bar depending weather it is sorted by Author or Title. Most amazing as I move slider on scroll bar author or title displayed above scoll bar changes very quickly and library page only changes when I lift finger from slider. Can't get better than this, except have reader search for known title or author is best.

I bought Sony T1 from Target less than 1/2 normal price when they stopped selling Sony readers.

I still use my Kobo readers and would probably buy 6" Aura if I first saw it in store.
Yes Sony's work much better and they have both a reliable slider and page numbers.

I am like you, I use my mini for when I am out and my Sony at home. My Aura HD cowers under the bed a lot.

Helen
Old 11-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've search around here for info about navigating to a specific page in a document on the Kobo Touch. (Purchased late 2012).
The last discussion ended in 2010 with it being on the list for a future firmware update.
Since then has anything been done about this very important issue?

Thanks
Arturox

NB: I can't understand how anyone could release a reader that doesn't have a Goto specific page option as part of the system right from the first release.

Next you'll be selling Motor cars without steering wheels.
I'd have to disagree with you. I find the page numbers depend on the ebook being read. Much like dead tree books where you needed to have the same edition to have page numbers mean anything, ebooks tend to vary in the page number quite widely. About the only time page numbers would even come close is for devices that use the same page number generation scheme on identical ebook files. For Adobe's page number generation algorithm, this would mean not only the exact same content but compressed using the same compression algorithm and options since the page numbers are based on compressed data size. For me, that would mean no longer compressing files in epubs I edit using newer compression algorithms.

At one time I was reading the same ebook as a friend who was reading on his Kindle, I simply did a search in the book for one word out of the passage he mentioned -- the word being improbable -- and about 3 seconds later, I was looking at chapter 6 in "The Sign of Four" at the line "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

He was able to search in much the same manner and it was much easier than translating his 1354 of 12777 which was what his Kindle showed or my page 206 of 899 for use on his Kindle.

To continue your automotive analog, are you in favour of having a manual choke? Using a manual spark advance? Or are you willing to give up control of your automobile to the computer controlled systems?

Perhaps we should revive the Red Flag legislation so you would require a person walking 55m in front of your car carrying a red flag.

Page numbers are even more of a relic of the past than any of those three items and equally deserving of being relegated to the midden.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
arturox
Enthusiast

SWMBO want's the page goto so who am I to argue. ;-)

It seems quite a logical request, but on a personal note as I don't use a Kobo, outside of her asking, I'm not particularly interested in the problem.

The device I use does do page goto...

Bottom line I guess, I asked on her behalf, It doesn't, and it appears probably never will.

Thanks and goodbye.
Ax