Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Every other requested feature is PDF support. Maybe B&N hope to satisfy those people.

Currently uses Android 2.1 so no Flash but reports say it will be upgraded to 2.2 and then Flash will be available.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #32
jedema
jedema began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
meh. Its just an over sized cell phone. I can read nookbooks on my cell, I can read Kindle books on my cell.

Impressive looking and fun to dream about, but that is really all it is.
jedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Been looking for a backlit unit. This would make a nice christmas present for my kids.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I like it. I'll wait for the reviews, but this is very tempting. Wonder how Amazon will react.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #35
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wonder how Amazon will react.
Do Amazon looks bovvered? I don't see Amazon bovvered by a LCD tablet.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #36
eidahl
eidahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Er... wuh, is this a bad joke? It's not an e-reader anymore without 'e-ink'.

EDIT: Before getting an e-reader, I usually read ebooks on my lcd monitor / computer. Why should I bother reading on ANOTHER lcd screen at home, right? The entire point is that it looks like paper and I can carry it around (not that I ever carry it out of the home, though!).

Last edited by eidahl; 10-26-2010 at 07:50 PM.
eidahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #37
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Am I mistaken but in slide 14 of the Cnet article, is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nookcolorlaunch2010_-5_540x360.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	60237  
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
i've lost faith in B/N
My eInk nook has been a big dissappointment lately, and now there's an lcd nook that wants to be an ipad without the app store. Sounds like fail to me.
When I first saw this I got all excited for a Qi or Mirsol, werent they supposed to be available by the end of this year
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #39
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
...such as covers and charms to attach to the device's corner slot
Well, now isn't that nice? Charms!
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Am I mistaken but in slide 14 of the Cnet article, is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.
Yeah, I noticed that. It's pretty awful. But to be fair, someone will come out with an anti-glare screen protector that will do away with this.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidahl View Post
Er... wuh, is this a bad joke? It's not an e-reader anymore without 'e-ink'.

EDIT: Before getting an e-reader, I usually read ebooks on my lcd monitor / computer. Why should I bother reading on ANOTHER lcd screen at home, right? The entire point is that it looks like paper and I can carry it around (not that I ever carry it out of the home, though!).
And that's why people who favor eInk aren't the target market for this device.

This will sell to the masses; not to avid readers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. It's pretty awful. But to be fair, someone will come out with an anti-glare screen protector that will do away with this.
NOOKcolor Anti-Glare Screen Film Kit
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #43
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
As an ebook reader it does seem lacking, but I wonder what the hackers will be able to do with it. I'm sure a custom android ROM will appear soon after it's launched. With such a nice screen and low price tag it could be a killer tablet.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #44
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The pandigitals suddenly look more interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/p...ith-the-novel/

Anyone seen how the SiPix screens look yet?
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just scanned the article "Barnes & Noble Reveals The Nook Color, Please Act Surprised" by Matt Burns at CrunchGear and read this:

....."The entire thing weighs in at 15.6 oz with a thickness of .48-inches — that’s just 5.4 oz heavier and .12-inches thicker than the new Kindle."

Uh, no. The B&N website puts the weight of the Wi-Fi Nook Color at 15.8 ounces. The Kindle Wi-Fi weighs 8.5 ounces. That's a 7.3 ounce difference. It's over 85% heavier, hardly something I would describe with the adjective "just". It's even 7.1 ounces heavier than a Kindle 3G. Even there, the weight is 180% that of the Kindle.

Still, I might end up buying one if the virtual keyboard works well and apps are available for writing, although I would still use my eInk Kindle for reading. The price is very tempting and the color screen could be just the thing for certain books and magazines.

One thing I won't do is to make the mistake of being an early adopter of this new technology. I got Nook-burned once, never again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote