Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Mad_Scientist
Mad_Scientist doesn't litterMad_Scientist doesn't litter

Device: Note tablet
Please help before i mess up more

So i bought my first ebook this week....actually my first 4.

When i thought about ebooks i pictured in my mind downloading books i had purchased, saving them on my home core server and opening them up in my favorite ereader... i like kobo and the kindle app so far..

Anyways.. first book came from amazon and i later figured out that you dont actually own the book.. meh.. ok whatever.. so then i go to ebooks.com and they said ON THE SITE that i could download pdf... well i buy three books but then when i download them it forces me to download the ereader app and i still cant figure out where it actually downloaded the files.

Anyways. What am I doing wrong? Can you guys tell me where to buy books that i can actually download and save and not have to rely on some website staying in business!
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You don't have to rely on Amazon staying in business. The book will forever work on the device or app that you downloaded it for. If Amazon goes out of business (heaven forbid), you can probably legally strip the DRM.

Booksellers like Baen Books and Smashwords do not have DRM, so you can use the books on any device. Both of those allow you to download the books in multiple formats, too.

I've never heard of ebooks.com, so I don't know how their stuff works. There should be something on their web site explaining how everything works.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Go and make friends with Apprentice Alf, get rid of DRM, and you can put your books on whatever device you like (Amazon and ADE books - ebooks.com says they do ADE). We can't give details here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You should also avoid pdf whenever possible. Go with epub or azw/mobi formats.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Mad Scientist well all of us on MR will probably say the same thing about buying ebooks and using ereaders - it aint as straightforward as you might have wished!

My suggestion is to download Calibre as your ebook library managment database. It's free and a truly excellent program.

Then you need to be introduced to Apprentice Alf as meeera said.

Doing those two things will immediately make buying and reading ebooks on the device of your choice accessible.

You've got a way to go on your journey yet before you get anywhere near the comfort level you thought was inherent in reading ebooks on any device or app.

Keep asking questions on here and you'll get the hang of it soon enough - we've all been there.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 10-23-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
So i bought my first ebook this week....actually my first 4.

When i thought about ebooks i pictured in my mind downloading books i had purchased, saving them on my home core server and opening them up in my favorite ereader... i like kobo and the kindle app so far..

Anyways.. first book came from amazon and i later figured out that you dont actually own the book.. meh.. ok whatever.. so then i go to ebooks.com and they said ON THE SITE that i could download pdf... well i buy three books but then when i download them it forces me to download the ereader app and i still cant figure out where it actually downloaded the files.

Anyways. What am I doing wrong? Can you guys tell me where to buy books that i can actually download and save and not have to rely on some website staying in business!
Good suggestions. But I didn't see one that answered your question directly. If you downloaded the Kindle app to a computer, then you should now have on your computer a folder called My Kindle Content. (My folder's inside my computer's Documents folder.) If you can't easily find your My Kindle Content folder, then do a computer search for it. When you find that folder, you'll find your Kindle book files inside it.

Last edited by Froide; 10-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You have to open Kindle for PC first and right click choose download for the books to download to your computer.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I use Amazon to buy ebooks. I use the following method. I send the ebook to my laptop then I open the Kindle app on my laptop to complete the download. I then go to the "My Kindle Content" folder in "Documents" on my laptop and there is the book.
I use Calibre as my library management tool and import the ebook into Calibre where I edit the metadata and convert the format to my preferred formats...epub generally.

I then add it to my reader.

The book is mine.

Perhaps this is where you went wrong. Amazon has offered a service called "Kindle Unlimited". They say you get unlimited access to over 700,000 titles for a fee of course.
I thought this was actually a pretty good deal considering how many ebooks I buy and read so I signed up.
Well it turns out you do not "own" the book. It is not a "download", more of a "loan" of the title allowing you to read it but you do not get the book itself just the ability to read it.
Perhaps this is how you got your books from Amazon?

I cancelled immediately. I want to "own" the title I purchase not rent the book.

This also means you can't read the book using a different reader app. Only the Kindle app, which is not my preferred reader though I have no complaints when I have used it.

"Alf" is the man...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Mad_Scientist
Mad_Scientist doesn't litterMad_Scientist doesn't litter

Device: Note tablet
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm downloading calibre now and will be reading up alot more on drm
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@Mad Scientist well all of us on MR will probably say the same thing about buying ebooks and using ereaders - it aint as straightforward as you might have wished!
You're right, but compared to getting DVD's and Blu-Ray discs from different regions into a somewhat/supposedly future-proof format (h.264 video, flac and/or AC3 audio, in an mkv container), ebooks are a walk in the park nowadays, thanks to Alf and Calibre.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-25-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm downloading calibre now and will be reading up alot more on drm
As others have mentioned, google 'Apprentice Alf'.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
If you happen to like PDF, then ebooks.com is one of the few sellers left that carry them. I still buy books from them that I want in PDF (I've yet to see an epub or mobi of something like this book that isn't a complete horror show).

Also, books that are available in both epub and PDF can be downloaded in both formats with the same purchase. If multiple formats are listed as available, you can download all listed formats. Note, however, that books are downloadable in whatever the currently available format is. HarperCollins, for example, used to offer most of their books as PDF and epub, but the PDF option has been removed from a number of my ebooks.com books as HarperCollins stops authorizing their sale. On the other hand, I've had formats added to my books, too.

If any of your books allow multiple format downloads, you'll see multiple options in the download dropdown. I've attached a screen grab so you can see what you're looking for. If multiple formats are listed, then you can download each format separately.

The biggest downside to ebooks.com is that they do not discount prices. Their prices will sometimes reflect a publisher sale, but they usually are straight retail price.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As far as I am concerned, when I pay for an eBook and I click on "Buy" and download it ... then it is mine. It is wholly mine. I own it. I don't give a monkey's Fcuk what they or the law might say. I pay for it - it's mine.

STEPS:

I buy the eBook - or download a free eBook.

Then import the book in to Calibre.

Immediately I use one of Calibre's plugins to strip MY BOOK of any DRM.

Then I upload it to whatever device I want to use to read it. If it's on my iPhone then I convert the format first.

Then all of my eBooks get backed up to Time Machine, and at the end of the day they get backed up to SuperDuper.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote