Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #211
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Yoq,

I've noticed that the life of battery is very increased (maybe the reason is the fact that screen is refreshed only every 90 pages turned). I've read 15h and my battery is again at 96% (yet I read with LED on) !!!

Have you seen the same thing ?

I've added a comment about your add-on here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50#post2623150

Last edited by akorx; 09-14-2013 at 05:04 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #212
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I haven't used night mode enough to comment on battery life, but it'd be an interesting thing to test. My guess is that the increased battery life is because of the low number of full page refreshes.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #213
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi,

I've no measurement/metric (I don't know the good word, please tell me which is the good term) but I really think that refresh screen every 6 pages consumes more energy than using light with leds... And with "every 90 pages settings" we have got the contrary. Perhaps it's because I've added a 33 ohm resistor !

NB : sorry for this sentence, I don't know how explain it in a good english !

Last edited by akorx; 09-22-2013 at 02:55 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #214
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi,

I've no measurement/metric (I don't know the good word, please tell me which is the good term) but I really think that refresh screen every 6 pages consumes more energy than using light with leds... And with "every 90 pages settings" we have got the contrary. Perhaps it's because I've added a 33 ohm resistor !

NB : sorry for this sentence, I don't know how explain it in a good english !
hi what is 33 ohm resistor?

also i dont know how to do this of refresch screen at 90 pages, i just installed the night mode , but dont know what i have to install to do the rest, can someone explain please? thankyou
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #215
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
He is talking about a hardware hack to lower the brightness of the Kobo Glo which I posted a few months ago: See here
To change the refresh rate in daymode, see here, to change it in nightmode, edit the value of refreshScreenPages in nightmode.ini.

@akorx:
These screens draw a lot of power (~1.5W, much more than a LCD screen of this size) during update, but use almost nothing in standby. So it makes sense that the battery lasts longer when you aren't using full refreshes, since these take roughly 2-3 times longer than normal screen updates. The hardware hack should be battery neutral, but I haven't measured it yet.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #216
mobenm
mobenm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hello, i've just bought a kobo aura (not hd).
I've installed koboroot.tgz.
After reboot i push the light button and nothing happens.
Is it normal? Does it work on kobo aura?
Can i do something?
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my English( I'm french)
mobenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #217
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What firmware was the new Aura running? I'm guessing this isn't suited to it. Bear in mind that when this thread started, "Aura" meant "Aura HD", not the new Aura, so you must read the thread with that in mind. Most people saying "Aura" here don't mean your device.

If it is suited to it: where did you install the koboroot.tgz file? Did you get the "upgrading" screen?

Last edited by meeera; 10-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #218
mobenm

Hello, i try to put the night mode. My firmware is the last for kobo aura (2.9), from kobo (By wifi)
The problem: the night mode doesn't work
Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #219
mobenm

The file koboroot.tgz is the build9
Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #220
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobenm View Post
The file koboroot.tgz is the build9
At the github link, it says:

Quote:
A tiny hack to read white-on-black on Kobo ebook readers. Works only on the eInk series:

Kobo Glo
Kobo Touch
Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Mini

Your device isn't listed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #221
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
Same here, it doesn't work on Aura (non HD). Let's hope for an update soon... meanwhile I'll keep using the Glo ;-)
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #222
mobenm

I know that the aura isn't in the list but i hope it could work.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #223
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know much about the device and I haven't seen a firmware update file so far, plus I only own a Glo, so you'll have to help me here a litte to find out what the problem is

Do you already have shell access on your device?

Yes:
  • Does the file /tmp/invertScreen exist?
  • Does the command "echo t > /tmp/invertScreen" trigger nightmode?

If so, the only problem is the new address of the LIGHT button. Please run the command: "hexdump /dev/input/event0", press the light-button twice and post the output.

No:
  • Install the debug version in the attachment
  • Press the LIGHT button twice
  • Connect to your PC
  • Post the content of the file .kobo/screenInvertLog
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-nightmode_debugBuild.zip (13.0 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by yoq; 10-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #224
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
No shell access.

Here it is the log from the debug build:

ScreenInverter: Hooked to /usr/local/Kobo/nickel!
ScreenInverter: Removed LD_PRELOAD!
ScreenInverter: Got screen resolution: 1024x758
ScreenInverter: Read config: invert(no), retain(yes), longPressTimeout(800), nightRefresh(4)
ScreenInverter: pressed(0) keycode(5a)
ScreenInverter: pressed(1) keycode(5a)
ScreenInverter: pressed(0) keycode(5a)

Last edited by linux1999; 10-11-2013 at 06:16 AM.
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #225
yoq
Developer

Ok, so the button hasn't changed. I looked into the kernel source today and I think I found something. Could you please post the log after you long-press the button with the debug build from my last post?
Attached is a new try with, could you test and post the log as well?
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-nightmode_buildMark5Test.zip (13.0 KB, 202 views)

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch