Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
505 - Could Not Find Driver Software...

Hi Folks -

I have a working Sony PRS-500, and went to install my new 505 today. During the installation, I keep getting error messages that Windows is unable to find the driver software for the device...

Help!

I'm mostly a Mac guy, so consider me fairly ignorant to the ways of the PC...

Also, I put my Sony Duo card in the 505, and while all my books show up the DRM copies won't display - probably because the ebook wasn't set up...

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

Larry
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Z. View Post
Hi Folks -

I have a working Sony PRS-500, and went to install my new 505 today. During the installation, I keep getting error messages that Windows is unable to find the driver software for the device...

Help!

I'm mostly a Mac guy, so consider me fairly ignorant to the ways of the PC...

Also, I put my Sony Duo card in the 505, and while all my books show up the DRM copies won't display - probably because the ebook wasn't set up...

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

Larry
Once you do manage to get the software installed, you'll need to register your 505 under your Connect account. Then you can download your books and they will then work on both the 505 and the 500. I suggest you update your books you have on your computer and the 500 after you get the 505 registered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you do manage to get the software installed, you'll need to register your 505 under your Connect account. Then you can download your books and they will then work on both the 505 and the 500. I suggest you update your books you have on your computer and the 500 after you get the 505 registered.
Cool - but I can't even get the 505 to come up on the computer!

Grr...

Does anyone have the driver that they can post or send me?

LZ.

Last edited by Larry Z.; 10-04-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cool - but I can't even get the 505 to come up on the computer!

Grr...

Does anyone have the driver that they can post or send me?

LZ.
The driver should be on the CD that came with the 505.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
The driver should be on the CD that came with the 505.
It just isn't getting found when I put the CD in. Very weird - I already called support, and they asked me to call software support; which is closed.

The strange thing is that the CD seems fine - the library installed, everything else went smoothly...

I'm baffled - but thanks for your help...

Larry
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It just isn't getting found when I put the CD in. Very weird - I already called support, and they asked me to call software support; which is closed.

The strange thing is that the CD seems fine - the library installed, everything else went smoothly...

I'm baffled - but thanks for your help...

Larry
Have you gone to System Properties and then Hardware and then Device Manager to see if you could find where it;s not working so you can tell it to try to find the driver on the CD?

Also, in the 1.1 version is the following ... C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\drivers ... You can right click on the inf file and install the driver. You might possibly have the same thing with the new version.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you gone to System Properties and then Hardware and then Device Manager to see if you could find where it;s not working so you can tell it to try to find the driver on the CD?

Also, in the 1.1 version is the following ... C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\drivers ... You can right click on the inf file and install the driver. You might possibly have the same thing with the new version.
Well, I traced down the directory and got to C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT. Past that, there was an .EXE program called, "Unwise." That's strange, and I didn't open it... There was no Reader/Data/Drivers.

I also searched the contents of the CD as best I could, and wasn't able to find anything resembling a driver - which is probably embedded in the launcher program.

As I might have mentioned, I'm a MAC guy and PC's have always given me a hard time when a problem comes up.

Thanks for your patience!
Larry Z.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well, I traced down the directory and got to C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT. Past that, there was an .EXE program called, "Unwise." That's strange, and I didn't open it... There was no Reader/Data/Drivers.
There's a popular program installation tool for Windows called the "Wise Installer". "Unwise" is the uninstaller for it. I use it for my own software, as it happens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's a popular program installation tool for Windows called the "Wise Installer". "Unwise" is the uninstaller for it. I use it for my own software, as it happens.
Well, that's encouraging. At least it isn't a virus...

Thanks!
LZ
Old 10-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Ugh - it appears that my Reader is fine - it's my computer that's bad...

My PC is a two-year old Vaio that I upgraded from XP to Vista Home Premium. Ever since the upgrade it's acted weird - but not broken.

I also have a tiny Sony Vaio UX180 computer, and by copying the PRS-505 startup disk to a Memory Stick Pro Duo, I was able to load the Reader software on to the handtop. The new Reader 505 started right up on the little Vaio, and is now recognized and working well.

I figured out the large Vaio was malfunctioning by attempting to install a Cruzer drive on it, and it wouldn't recognize those drivers either... So it looks like I'm off to Best Buy this afternoon to replace my seldom used PC... I sure wish the 505 was fully mac-compatible!

Thank you so much JSWolf and HarryT for bearing with me and helping sort out the problem. I'm happy to say my new 505 is loaded with 65 books and ready to compete with my 500 and the iLiad for my attention.

Larry

Thank

Last edited by Larry Z.; 10-05-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Larry, if you still have Windows XP laying around with a legit key, what you could do it install that in place of Vista and you'd be all set (IMHO).
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Larry, if you still have Windows XP laying around with a legit key, what you could do it install that in place of Vista and you'd be all set (IMHO).
Right after I installed Vista I knew something was wrong. For instance, my Treo/Palm software wasn't compatible. So I tried to locate my XP disk to reverse the change and couldn't find it.

Turns out that the Vista update I bought (a Home Premium version from Costco) isn't totally compatible with the Vaio series because of Sony customizations that are needed.

It's been frustrating - but so far I've been able to work around the problem. However, you raise a great point. It's worth another trip to the (shudder) garage to look for that box and try to find the disk!

Thanks again -
Larry
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Do you have the key for your XP?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you have the key for your XP?
No, Jon, I don't - at least not yet...

I think I can find it though - this weekend I'll rummage around the garage and grab the stuff that came with the computer and see if the restore disk and key are there.

Also, my friend advised me to get a Lenovo laptop to replace the Vaio, which I might do instead.

The PC world is so complicated...that's why Macs appeal to me. Or maybe I'm just a dweeb...

Cheers!
LZ
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, Jon, I don't - at least not yet...

I think I can find it though - this weekend I'll rummage around the garage and grab the stuff that came with the computer and see if the restore disk and key are there.

Also, my friend advised me to get a Lenovo laptop to replace the Vaio, which I might do instead.

The PC world is so complicated...that's why Macs appeal to me. Or maybe I'm just a dweeb...

Cheers!
LZ
Most laptops that run Windows are not so specialized. One thing you could do is contact Sony and see if they can supply you with restore CD(s) if you cannot find what you need.