Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #46
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
Not an ebook.....but another perk to the Free Library of Philadelphia is their "freegal" music service. You can download, and save to your computer 3 free songs a week from the sony catalog. They have all kinds of music, including current hits

checkout the link under music downloads http://search.freelibrary.org/digitalmedia.cfm

Use your FLP card and pin
Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Karma to you.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #47
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but if you are 65 or over the Philly library card is free.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #48
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Karma to you.
I have gotten a nice little collection of music through it.

Quote:
Update: Figured out my local library's PIN and logged into both Freegal and Freading with it. Looks like Freading is run by the same people as Freegal. I have 5 credits on that Freading account, but since this is the first time I've logged in there, I'm not sure if those are built up or new (I've been a patron of this library since January 2011).
Yea I checked it out when they first offered it but couldn't really see much advantage over FLP's overdrive collection. I guess if they offered books or publishers that weren't available through overdrive.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Not an ebook.....but another perk to the Free Library of Philadelphia is their "freegal" music service. You can download, and save to your computer 3 free songs a week from the sony catalog. They have all kinds of music, including current hits

checkout the link under music downloads http://search.freelibrary.org/digitalmedia.cfm

Use your FLP card and pin
I've had this card for over a year and didn't even know! Karma to you!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-14-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Yea I checked it out when they first offered it but couldn't really see much advantage over FLP's overdrive collection. I guess if they offered books or publishers that weren't available through overdrive.
I think the allocation of books is a little different: with Overdrive, the library may have 5 virtual copies of a book and 10 people are waiting on it... with Freading, many people can borrow the same book until the library reaches the total limit for checkouts.

A perfect example is that my wife likes Georgette Heyer... FLP's Overdrive has about 15 titles, most with a waiting list. Freading had ALL the titles currently available in eBook with no waiting.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but if you are 65 or over the Philly library card is free.
Also free for veterans.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I'm also waiting for answer from Brooklyn, and checking other libraries. Katel have you by any chance tried Houston library?
No I haven't Danicca so will do that. Thanks.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #53
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
I found something interesting on Freading last night: they have a pretty good selection of the Barnes & Noble Classic Editions. As far as I know, those are only sold by B&N for use with Nook... since B&N uses their own proprietary DRM, there's no legal way to read them on other eink readers (unless you hack a Sony and load the Nook app). Apparently Overdrive carries them as well although only one of my local libraries has a couple of them (Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland). The Overdrive versions actually have covers in the EPUB while the Nookbook versions don't. I'm not sure about the Freading versions. Just figured I'd point it out.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #54
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just had a reply from the Library of Brooklyn when I asked
for clarification of their non-residents' card -

"Non-resident is anyone not living outside of NYS, and out of state
residents have full access to all of our ebook, and online research
databases.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Circulation Deparment"

I bolded the NOT here as surely that's a mistake?
So - I've asked them for clarification again.
I think they will blacklist me.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #55
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Katel, just curious, why are you especially interested in the Brooklyn library over the others?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #56
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I definitely think it's a typo. Their website clearly states that they not only welcome international applicants, but that they enjoy the same library privileges as the out-of-state patrons do.

You should probably be getting an email from them with detailed instructions any day now.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #57
Katel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Katel, just curious, why are you especially interested in the Brooklyn library over the others?

I guess because they have such a large amount of books on Overdrive compared
to some of the other libraries I've check out , and their waiting lists are not long. For a couple of authors I like there are only 1 or 2 waiting whereas at FLP for example there are up to 80.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #58
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Brooklyn added over 12,000 ebooks to their collection this year. Very impressive. Generous check-out policies. And it appears the service is underutilized by the local residents. For some it may present a better value to join.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #59
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I found something interesting on Freading last night: they have a pretty good selection of the Barnes & Noble Classic Editions. As far as I know, those are only sold by B&N for use with Nook... since B&N uses their own proprietary DRM, there's no legal way to read them on other eink readers (unless you hack a Sony and load the Nook app). Apparently Overdrive carries them as well although only one of my local libraries has a couple of them (Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland). The Overdrive versions actually have covers in the EPUB while the Nookbook versions don't. I'm not sure about the Freading versions. Just figured I'd point it out.
Ohhh very interesting and good to know, I'll have to check it out. I sent some karma your way
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Weird, I checked out their hold lines, and they ARE much shorter than other libraries. Weird, you'd think it's a densely populated area, thefore long waiting lists...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote