Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #27106
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honour Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKGDumNZDQ )

... because to me, it's just not Christmas without the Little Drummer Boy...

Good morning, everyone. The sun shines brightly on this last frantic shopping/crafting day before Christmas... Even a Jewish Taoist living in a Buddhist society can enjoy the holiday spirit that infects northern Thailand. I even found peppermint candy canes last night! I've been missing them. I only eat them for a day or two a year, but love 'em when I do! It makes Christmas Christmas along with the Little Drummer Boy. I just wish they would show remakes of the opera 'Ahmal and the Night Visitors,' the opera about the Little Drummer Boy and the three Wise Guys.

Good, reliable East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea in my cup this morning, a visit to the Food Lady in a few minutes, a jam session with friends this afternoon (I wonder if they will object to a 30 minute rendition of the Little Drummer Boy? I DO love this song!) Ho ho ho!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #27107
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honour Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKGDumNZDQ )

... because to me, it's just not Christmas without the Little Drummer Boy...

Stitchawl
Love that song! Really like Mandisa version of it...

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #27108
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The pediatrician recommended a higher dose then we had been giving but less than the hospital, 5ml instead of 6 ml. And she gave him the flu meds. His fever has dropped to the low 100's, like 100.3 so much better.

Water in. MY glass
Glad to hear!!!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #27109
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have some Sierra Mist in the cup.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #27110
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sencha!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #27111
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm drinking a glass of Blue Christmas Cheer, and wishing each and every one of you a very Merry (and/or Happy) Christmas! I shall now set up my camera on a motion-sensor trigger to catch Santa in the act!

See you all again on Christmas Day!

Stitchawl
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #27112
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The pediatrician recommended a higher dose then we had been giving but less than the hospital, 5ml instead of 6 ml. And she gave him the flu meds. His fever has dropped to the low 100's, like 100.3 so much better.

Water in. MY glass
I glad to hear he is doing better. It's a much nicer Christmas when everyone is well.

Coffee in my cup and packing the boxes with the wrapped gifts. Later I have to pack the ice chest with the groceries that will be used for Christmas Morning breakfast. All in preparation for the trip to my brother's for Christmas Eve dinner and then back for Christmas morning breakfast. The chaos of 20-30+ people is always fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #27113
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
sounds like chaos, dreams. And ProfCrash, glad LM's temp is down to a more reasonable level.

As for the song -- sorry, that's one of my least favourite holiday songs. But that's OK, my taste runs more to Diana Krall. (And it's on sale.)

Work today, but I'm taking tomorrow off. But today, we're having Holiday Breakfast Blend tea.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #27114
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7LW0Y00kE )

There is 5" of fresh powder snow on the ground, over a solid base of 18". Blue wax for the skis, and a new ski sweater... Then I woke up.

Good morning, everyone. While it IS a lovely morning here in the Land of Smiles, it's 22°c outside, without a chance of a sleigh ride... I don't mind. I have a cup of my local "English Breakfast" tea beside me, some delightful presents from my even more delightful wife to play with, and it's going to be another nice day in paradise!

For you single-malt drinkers... I 'almost' bought myself a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yr old last night... I've never been a Scotch drinker, but the last time I tasted any was about 25 years ago and wondered if my taste buds had changed. My wife wanted some Kahlua, and I saw the Glenfiddich on the shelf, both in 12yr and 18yr bottles. The cost of the 18yr was about $125 US, and of course I balked at that for an experiment. But I was wondering if that is a high, low, or usual price for a bottle of this stuff? And would it be a suitable 'experimental' drink for a Gin/Rum/Tequila guy? Opinions, please?

Stitchawl
Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #27115
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
In general, the longer aged the single malt, the smoother it is on the palate. Single malts are aged usually in used bourbon white oak barrels that are 'fired' or charred before filling, or sherry barrels. Shorter aging periods (10 - 12 years) produce a 'rougher' tasting scotch, while older vintages are smoother, taking more character from the barrels.

I'm a fan of the Islay single malts - that are heavily peated - and fairly rough on the palate, but very complex.

I'm not a real fan of Glenfiddich - a Speyside single malt, the taste to me is less complex and relatively bland.

Charlie (CRussel) I think has more experience with Glenfiddich and may be more helpful on this.

Given your taste preferences, I'd suggest a blended "sweeter" Scotch to try: Dewars, Chivas Regal, or Cutty Sark.
In single malts, probably a Highland variety: Oban, Glenmorangie - these have a fruity/floral/heather bouquet. If you're brave enough to try the Islays, Talisker is a great place to start - very mild & tasty.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #27116
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh - and yes - you pay for the "name" in single malts - so $125 is reasonable for 18 yr Glenfiddich - but I don't think it's worth it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #27117
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
LM took a while to figure out opening gifts but once he did he had a blast. Family gift opening was followed by Sushi for dinner, bed time for LM, and hot tub for the parents. A great day.

Merry. Christmas all!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #27118
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
In general, the longer aged the single malt, the smoother it is on the palate. Single malts are aged usually in used bourbon white oak barrels that are 'fired' or charred before filling, or sherry barrels. Shorter aging periods (10 - 12 years) produce a 'rougher' tasting scotch, while older vintages are smoother, taking more character from the barrels.

I'm a fan of the Islay single malts - that are heavily peated - and fairly rough on the palate, but very complex.

I'm not a real fan of Glenfiddich - a Speyside single malt, the taste to me is less complex and relatively bland.

Charlie (CRussel) I think has more experience with Glenfiddich and may be more helpful on this.

Given your taste preferences, I'd suggest a blended "sweeter" Scotch to try: Dewars, Chivas Regal, or Cutty Sark.
In single malts, probably a Highland variety: Oban, Glenmorangie - these have a fruity/floral/heather bouquet. If you're brave enough to try the Islays, Talisker is a great place to start - very mild & tasty.
Glenfiddich is hardly my favourite, either. But might not be a bad place to start, though Glenmorangie might be even better. Both are "mild" in peaty-ness, which can be a bit overwhelming at first. Talisker is peaty without the almost oily smokiness of the strongest Inlays. Lagavulin is lovely, but not for the neophyte.

I would start with a 10 year. You'll get a good idea of taste without spending major $$ to get it. Drink it straight, no ice, and either no water or only a tiny splash. (5ml in 50ml at most)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #27119
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I would start with a 10 year. You'll get a good idea of taste without spending major $$ to get it. Drink it straight, no ice, and either no water or only a tiny splash. (5ml in 50ml at most)

I guess I shouldn't mix it with Coca Cola or Pineapple juice either, eh?

Thanks for all the good suggestions, guys.
My wife came up with the idea of buying by the shot in a good bar. That way if I don't care for it, I haven't blown the rent money. Japan is well known for its excellent shot bars, but I don't know about Thailand. If I can, I'll line up 2-3 different ones, keeping within the classes, and see if there is one that I prefer. Then I'll match the two favorites and see how they differ. Should be interesting, and if not, at least intoxicating.

But that will be for later in the evening. Right now, it's an afternoon Assam tea that's pleasing me. Thank you, East India Company!

Stitchawl
Old 12-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #27120
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
First cup of the Christmas coffee I bought yesterday. It's quite good.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?