Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Belgariad is one of those series that is good the first time you read it, but it is actually better when you re-read it, as you better understand what was going on in the first books that made no sense the first time through.

My recommendations are going to be Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. It is the first book in a long series, however, the first book in and of itself is a complete story, and I loved it when I read it the first time.
My second recommendation is L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s The Magic of Recluse and The Magic Engineer. Both can be read by themselves, or as parts of the larger series, and out of the books in the series I have read I liked them the best.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #47
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I don't know if the Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross might fit the bill?
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #48
TechQn
TechQn began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD-Kindle
""Okay, so I'm currrently working on a fantasy novel that is the usual Hero's Journey type plot. For inspiration I would like to be reading a similar sort of tale as I write, something involving quests, coming-of-age, mysterious mentors, and that sort of thing.""

That's easy.
The Ryiria Revelations is almost EXACTLY what your referring to.
TechQn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #49
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Both Kyralia trilogies by Trudi Canavan.
Elvenbane by Norton & Lackey
Black Trillium by MZB; Norton; May

Because you mentioned standalones:

The Redemption of Althalus by Eddings
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote