Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
PeterHartman
PeterHartman began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Red face OnyX M92 - only 1 audio channel working

Hello everybody. I have ordered and received a white OnyX M92 from a dutch retailer and it has been a big disappointment where build quality is concerned.

Because the unit did not have sound on the right audio channel I had it replaced. However, that replacement is even worse. Again there is only sound on the left channel (via earphone) and in addition, the back is scratched and the white case has brown stains on the back, side and bottom (where it is attached to the cover). The stains have gone IN the plastic and can not be removed.

Is anybody else experiencing that the sound via headphone is only one channel ? I have tested this with different ear-phones, different MP3s (even mono) and before and after updating the firmware (I am now on firmware 1.7-juli).

How I wished there was a more solid brand creating big ereaders....

Thanks,
- Peter -

Last edited by PeterHartman; 08-11-2012 at 03:14 AM.
PeterHartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
And what is about to use it as Ereader?

In Russia they have removed the complete audio hardware on M92 and nobody there is going to miss it..

In your case I would suggest you to return the device back to your vendor and ask him to test the replacement device before sending .

Last edited by Booxtor; 08-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
gaurav_singh_md
gaurav_singh_md began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

In Russia they have removed the complete audio hardware on M92 and nobody there is going to miss it..

In your case I would suggest you to return the device back to your vendor and ask him to test the replacement device before sending .
@Booxtor - I bought the M92 recently from your online store. No stains or scratches and it does a good job with pdf, djvu and epub files.
The problems are with Mobi and chm files. the pictures and tables are not showing in some of the mobi files (working well on pc) and it opens only the first page of some chm files (some chms are working ok).
the audio system is also not working properly. only left channel is working with headphones.
gaurav_singh_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
PeterHartman
PeterHartman began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
@Gaurav_singh_md : Thank you very much for confirming that this is a common issue with the ONYX M92.
--
If the manufacturer of the device believes it is sensible to have audio capabilities built into the device than they should also ensure it is functioning properly.

Unless the supplier has a M92 or M92S without stains and a working audio I will try to get a refund and get the hell out of readers altogether (my first ereader is an IRex800 - not a success either).

I think swapping the M92 for an Icarus does not make sense either. I believe they do nothing with firmware updates (march 2012 is latest I think) and of course, you still run the risk that the audio doesn't work....

It is a shame, the M92 seems to be quite capable as a large ereader (it works fine with complex O'Reilly epub publications and PDF).

Cheers !
- Peter -
PeterHartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_singh_md View Post
@Booxtor - I bought the M92 recently from your online store. No stains or scratches and it does a good job with pdf, djvu and epub files.
The problems are with Mobi and chm files. the pictures and tables are not showing in some of the mobi files (working well on pc) and it opens only the first page of some chm files (some chms are working ok).
the audio system is also not working properly. only left channel is working with headphones.
To be honest I never tested the M92 with a headset but I am sure it is not a common issue.. I know some user use it with headsets and nobody has report the problem like yours ( functionality of just one audio channel) before. I will test tomorrow the last delivered batch if it is a general problem of hardware, software or possibly of your particular device.
About the problems with some .chm and .mobi files - just send me a sample of that not working files to test it and find the solution.

Last edited by Booxtor; 08-05-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Hi,

I can confirm that only one audio channel works (in my case, the left one) on my M92 (v1.6 and 1.7) (in this case, Booxtor, the vendor is you).

bob_tm

Last edited by bob_tm; 08-05-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Tried v 1.7
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_tm View Post
Hi,

I can confirm that only one audio channel works (in my case, the left one) on the M92 (v1.6) (in this case, Booxtor, the vendor is you).

bob_tm

Hi,
when did you buy it?

As I said, I will test it (it could be a software problem, that we just didn't notice before and nobody reported it to us). If it is so, than it is a bug and we will focus the dev team on it, to solve it ASAP.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
"Order placed on 2012-05-23 14:21:39"

I did notice it a while back, but I do not use it for audio, so it is no pressing issue. Checked with fw 1.7, but no change in the audio problem.

-- Inge
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
To be honest I never tested the M92 with a headset but I am sure it is not a common issue.. I know some user use it with headsets and nobody has report the problem like yours ( functionality of just one audio channel) before. I will test tomorrow the last delivered batch if it is a general problem of hardware, software or possibly of your particular device.
As one user who used the audio through headset on a unit from Booxtor, I can confirm that there is no channel issue, i.e. both channels are there.
But as Booxtor knows full well, there are issues with the volume level (way to high to be usable with headset). What's best? One working channel, or two non-usable due to high volume? It's really not much of a choice, is it?

Cheers!
CJ

Last edited by CJY; 08-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
I have never had any problems with audio (other than playlists being displayed incorrectly after first repetition, but that's music player's bug, not audio system's), and that after three or four firmware updates since I got my device from Booxtor.

So this looks like a hardware problem.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

perhaps you should try with a diffrent headphone. i tried diffrent and i noticed with one of them i only had one channel. and with my device i have to look that the plug is really complete inside the hole.
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Unfortunately mine is only outputting sound on the left channel also. Tried it with different headphones, making sure the plug was properly inserted. I oredered mine from ereader-store.de on 12 July.
It's not a dealbreaker for me, but on a 350 euro device, it's not what you expect. It makes me less eager to recommend the M92.
If it's a software issue, I'd expect it to be corrected soon. If it's hw... well, a free stylus would undo the damage :-)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I also confirm, that I do not have any problem with the sound on my M92. Both channels work and it is stereo.

Also the volume seems to me quite OK. There is quite big jump between 0-level volume and 1-level volume, but I use it on 2-level volume. I agree with users, it would be better to start with lover volume at lower levels.... And end up with current volume at level-10, which is too much aloud for normal mp3, but might be handy for those not recorded with full dynamics (quite often the lectures or so...).

Last edited by Mono; 08-09-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:

I just got a message from the Vendor the PeterHartman spoke about: "I tested both M92 that were returned and there was no issue. The stereo headphone worked just fine... "
I also have tested about thirty devices in our warehouse and could not find devices with stereo issues either. Perhaps it was the connector issue of the headphones? I remember an user posted already here his expirience with different headphones and connectors a couple of months ago. He described similar issue by some headphone connectors.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
artemk
artemk began at the beginning.

I ordered mine M92 on 26 July from ereader-store.de. No problems with the sound, if plug is properly inserted. But in some plug positions I have also sound only on left channel.
artemk is offline   Reply With Quote