Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1.4.2 really slow?

I was trying out the nook today and found it really slow to turn pages. I had a look and found it was using firmware 1.4.2. I would have thought that a recent model reader would be much faster then the nook.

Is there a later firmware that fixes the slow page turns?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
The 1.5 that comes out this month should make the page turns faster.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why have updates that don't fix the most fundamental flaw? I would have though page turn speed was the #1 priority given how well other readers change screens.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why have updates that don't fix the most fundamental flaw? I would have though page turn speed was the #1 priority given how well other readers change screens.
Dude, mellow out. It's a work in progress. And if it's really a problem, provide a recommendation for a solution. Expressing disappointment when you own the device is one thing. When you don't own the device, it might come off as trolling or just being a pain in the butt.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Dude, mellow out. It's a work in progress. And if it's really a problem, provide a recommendation for a solution. Expressing disappointment when you own the device is one thing. When you don't own the device, it might come off as trolling or just being a pain in the butt.
I don't have to own it to know what I saw in person. I'm just surprised is all.
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Hmmmm.....did the softroot improve page turn speeds? I don't think it's really that slow. I'm comparing it to the Sony PRS-300, so it's not a "newer model" but I don't really notice it.

I should also say that I have no idea how a regular Nook works...I rooted it before I read even one book LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Is it all that slow? That's somewhat strange. I've been updating all the way from 1.2 and the speed increase has been quite impressive. Right now, when I swipe (or press the page turn button), the update time is less than (but close to) a second. Would that be considered slow? It feels pretty normal if you're used to reading paper books. It may seem slow compared to LCD screens but we kinda knew that going in.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Is it all that slow? That's somewhat strange. I've been updating all the way from 1.2 and the speed increase has been quite impressive. Right now, when I swipe (or press the page turn button), the update time is less than (but close to) a second. Would that be considered slow? It feels pretty normal if you're used to reading paper books. It may seem slow compared to LCD screens but we kinda knew that going in.
the speed is just fine, my co worker has the K2 and we've compared page turning and its minimal at best.

The OP is a well know nook hater. Which I just find strange, it's an ereader for crying out loud.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't hate the nook. But the nook does feel slower then the 600 which is an older reader. A women came into B&n to ask about the nook and I was so tempted to pull out my 650 to show her. But I was good and didn't do so.

The one thing about the nook I rather highly dislike is the DRM used on ePub B&N sells.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
I don't hate the nook. But the nook does feel slower then the 600 which is an older reader. A women came into B&n to ask about the nook and I was so tempted to pull out my 650 to show her. But I was good and didn't do so.

The one thing about the nook I rather highly dislike is the DRM used on ePub B&N sells.
Really?? It's no different than wants on overdrive, Amazon, Sony, etc. And of you hate it that much then it's easily strippable. Why single out B&N, why not just say all DRM? It really sounds like you are trolling.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Really?? It's no different than wants on overdrive, Amazon, Sony, etc. And of you hate it that much then it's easily strippable. Why single out B&N, why not just say all DRM? It really sounds like you are trolling.
Depends which choice of drm you are talking about. It supports the same drm as overdrive, and Sony and other adobe digital editions protected epub files (not the same as Amazon though). However they also put in a new option. One that can be considered better for a common use case. It easily allows for a family to share ebooks, once you enter in the common 'password' one time on each nook. This option for the drm is supposed to also be in the new release of the kit adobe releases for oem's to implement the drm code, so it should not remain limited to the nook.

At least they didn't install a root kit on my computer over drm, Sony has one of the worse records on drm.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hmmm...I have a nook running software version 1.40 and a Sony 650. The page turns on my nook may be just slightly slower than those on my 650--certainly not enough to bother me though.

And I don't as jhempel and twobits point out, the nook can read books with the same DRM scheme as the Sonys in addition to the version that B&N has chosen to implement for their ebooks. So, I don't think that's something you can hold against the nook--the B&N ebookstore, maybe but not the nook.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

The ePub DRM used by B&N is one of the easiest to strip off. Besides, using B&N's DRM'd ePubs on B&N's own Nook works fine.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
I was trying out the nook today and found it really slow to turn pages. I had a look and found it was using firmware 1.4.2...
After my v1.4.0 Nook bricked itself, I received a v1.4.2 replacement and noticed the same thing. Page turns do appear to be a bit slower. No big deal, since you still get there in a reasonable time.

I did notice one more difference between versions. The page turn buttons feel different on the newer device. They seem to have less travel, and a more solid contact.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
I did notice one more difference between versions. The page turn buttons feel different on the newer device. They seem to have less travel, and a more solid contact.
I'm on my second Nook and the page turn buttons are definitely different. The feel solid and there is no clicking sound when you turn a page. All in all, I'm happy with it.

BTW, my wife gave me a $100 ebook gift card from B&N for my birthday. I wonder if I can use it toward the purchase of a Nook Color...
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote