Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
FREE BOOK: JA Konrath

JA Konrath is offering some of his books for free on his website.
Check it out.
He is one of the few authors who have adopted this business of giving away free ebooks and dont see these free ebooks as a threat to his sales.

http://www.jakonrath.com/freebies.htm#ebooks

You may also download his printed novel Whiskey Sour for free from his website
http://www.jakonrath.com/index.htm

Last edited by arvsinha; 11-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
JA Konrath is offering some of his books for free on his website.
Check it out.
He is one of the few authors who have adopted this business of giving away free ebooks and dont see these free ebooks as a threat to his sales.

http://www.jakonrath.com/freebies.htm#ebooks
Nice! To bad they are PDF's, they sounded interesting enough, but in PDF-format, I think I'll pass.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I'm reading Origin from this author and so far I like it
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
He has an anthology of 55 (count em) shorties available. Notice to self: Put on reading list some place in the Top Ten!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
He just doesn't get it. Converting PDF is not that easy to do. it's a shame when an author doesn't understand his audience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
He just doesn't get it. Converting PDF is not that easy to do. it's a shame when an author doesn't understand his audience.
He is one of the early proponents of giving away free ebooks.
He knows that most of his audience is through sale of paper books.
He is trying to open new avenues by giving away free ebooks.
I think that Joe is a pretty approachable guy - you can try to contact him with your problem - I think he would seriously try to give you a html version.

I, for one, did manage to convert it to prc without any problem.
Cheers
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Thanks for posting this. I have been meaning to try this book. I also had no problem with converting it. It doesn't have any drm so I ran it through calibre and it looks good on the reader. I thank any author who gives away a book free (esp. w/o drm) and I don't expect them to have it in every known format. PDF's can be made into mobi and sony formatted books pretty fast and easily.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's no problem converting the PDF... I know that, most of the people here at MR knows that. But if e-readers are going to take off like most of us here wants, authors that are giving away there books must be aware of the fact that they should offer their books in ready formats.

Look at starrigger (aka Jeffrey A. Carver) who started to convert his books with the help of the people on here. Also that most of the other authors that frequent MR "gets it" when it comes to formating e-books.

That being said I downloaded Origin, converted it to an fb2 and a couple of chapters into it absolutely LOVE the book and am totally flabbergasted at the fact that he couldn't find a publisher for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What converter did you use to go from PDF to FB2? I have not seen or heard of any PDF converter that will do a conversion wothout errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
What converter did you use to go from PDF to FB2? I have not seen or heard of any PDF converter that will do a conversion wothout errors.
Using linux I used pdf2html, then html2fb. Had to clean up the HTML a bit, but it created a "passable" book which reads without too many problems on my BeBook
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The bottom of the site says
Quote:
Q: So I can actually offer these books on my website for free if I want to?

A: As long as you link back to me, yes. I encourage it.
However, he also mentions contacting him if you need a different format.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Just about finished Origin, and I must say it was a fun read, not one of the great novels of all time, but a fun read none the less. I will definitely read more from this author!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Just about finished Origin, and I must say it was a fun read, not one of the great novels of all time, but a fun read none the less. I will definitely read more from this author!
Same ere few more pages to go and I agree it's entertaining
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Same ere few more pages to go and I agree it's entertaining
I hope you did not miss the part about Whiskey sour - First Book of the Jack Daniels Series and is a published book - This book is also being offered free on the site, albeit at a different location.
It is a very good book

You may also download his printed novel Whiskey Sour for free from his website
http://www.jakonrath.com/index.htm
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
JA Konrath
Thriller Writer
JA Konrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
LOL. I'm a quick learner and converted the books to Kindle:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...084#post424084

Unfortunately, I can't give books away on Kindle yet--Amazon won't let me. So I'm made them really cheap.

Pdf to Kindle format is a HUGE pain to convert, so let me know if there are formatting issues and I'll try to fix them.

I'll try the Sony Reader next, but it won't be for a few weeks, because I'm going on tour...

Last edited by JA Konrath; 04-10-2009 at 09:41 AM.
JA Konrath is offline   Reply With Quote