Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
I think you'll find all the info you need in synergi's first post above, lionel.
Actually, the trouble I am experiencing is that I already have CM7 running. I am not finding a way to install Nook 1.3 over it. Basically, I want to revert to stock B&N firmware and then do the mod. Can anyone help?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Here's info on reverting back to stock (1.2 I believe). Once you're there, you should be able to update to 1.3 and then do a ManualNooter. There's tons of info over at XDA.

So, I guess the short answer, at least afaik, is "yes" - you need to uninstall CM7 and go back to stock.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Here's info on reverting back to stock (1.2 I believe). Once you're there, you should be able to update to 1.3 and then do a ManualNooter. There's tons of info over at XDA.

So, I guess the short answer, at least afaik, is "yes" - you need to uninstall CM7 and go back to stock.
My bad. I googled the answer and am in the process of doing it now.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Here's info on reverting back to stock (1.2 I believe). Once you're there, you should be able to update to 1.3 and then do a ManualNooter.
Those instructions will work fine, but no need to revert to 1.0.1 or 1.2:

update-NC-stock-1.3.zip
update-NC-stock-1.3-keepcwm.zip

The first one will remove CWM if it is installed to your internal recovery, and the second will just restore the OS but leave CWM in place.

A lot of people in this thread also seem very unclear on what they've done to their NCs and what is the difference between rooting and installing a custom ROM, among other things. From my blog:
Quote:
When used as a verb, rooting means altering your current stock firmware to enable root, or superuser, access. Like having the Administrator account on a Windows PC, root allows you to change high-level settings such as those preventing you from installing unapproved apps, and accessing unapproved app markets. Rooting the NC maintains the stock interface, the stock reading app, and device-specific perks like in-store reading, but lets you install the Google and/or Amazon app markets, which have many more apps than the B&N market, often at lower prices. Apps purchased on those markets can also be installed on other Android devices.

If you basically like the NC's interface but would like a couple more apps, rooting may be your best option. The most common way to root the NC is ManualNooter.

Custom ROMs are volunteer-built operating systems that completely replace stock firmware when installed on a device. Virtually all custom ROMs have root access by default, and do not need to be rooted. Because we can boot from ɥSD, it's also not necessary for us to root before installing a custom ROM, as is necessary on many other Android devices.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
How did it go OP?
Great, and thanks again for the suggestion. I'm with you. The best of both worlds is to be able to use the NC as originally intended but to also be able to install apps from Google market. The B&N market so far looks to be a rip-off, with mostly paid apps and some that are available for free in the Google market.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Can somebody explain to me how I can still use the stock home and still get access to the market? Just like the last time I rooted I have to use a launcher. Then my home is messed up. I like my books there. I don't know if I am overlooking something or what.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Great. So I rooted again. Everything was fine. I was trying to download the keyboard I like and realized a lot of the market apps weren't showing so I followed the directions in the thread posted in the second post (the actual manual nooter thread that had a fix for the market). After my NC said to restart so I did and ever since it won't get past the nook co (doesn't even finish the color, just co). I turned it off and plugged it into the wall thinking maybe the battery was too low. That was 45 mins ago. It is still doing the same thing when I reboot.

Am I going to have to reset it?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #23
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Great. So I rooted again. Everything was fine. I was trying to download the keyboard I like and realized a lot of the market apps weren't showing so I followed the directions in the thread posted in the second post (the actual manual nooter thread that had a fix for the market). After my NC said to restart so I did and ever since it won't get past the nook co (doesn't even finish the color, just co). I turned it off and plugged it into the wall thinking maybe the battery was too low. That was 45 mins ago. It is still doing the same thing when I reboot.

Am I going to have to reset it?
That exact same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I scrapped the rooting and went back to stock NC 1.3. I just don't have the time for nonsense.

Hopefully, at some point, B&N will realize that 178 apps do not make a marketplace. Until then, I guess I'm stuck with stock.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
That exact same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I scrapped the rooting and went back to stock NC 1.3. I just don't have the time for nonsense.

Hopefully, at some point, B&N will realize that 178 apps do not make a marketplace. Until then, I guess I'm stuck with stock.
I just reset mine too. I will probably root again and see if I can get the apk for my keyboard and see if that will work.

I also can't figure out how to still use the B&N home screen and still have the market which I thought was the whole point of this root. Or how to get books I am reading on the launchers home page.

Edit: I re-rooted with the manual nooter instructions posted here. I still couldn't find anything I wanted on the Market so I again did what it says at the bottom of that thread. This time it didn't freeze, but I get virtually nothing in the market. At least I could find Opera Mini before and I had it installed (I want Dolphin HD though), now I can't even get that. This is really pissing me off. I didn't have this problem when I did the autonooter.

so can somebody please tell me, can you have it rooted and still have your books on your homepage? I don't want to bother messing around if I can't get what I want anyway. Thanks.

Last edited by Care; 10-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #25
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
My NC is rooted with Manual Nooter and to be honest I am very very close to resetting it back to stock. What I wanted was what others had mentioned: I wanted the B&N home screen and stuff, with an android marketplace icon under my apps so I could install stuff from there. I guess we cant actually have that. That being said I have purchased quite a few apps from the B&N marketplace and none (that weren't free) from the android marketplace. I actually quite like the stock software. My only problem with going back to stock is that I am lazy. I have over 200 downloaded e-books on my NC and all of them are properly files in their categorized shelves. It would take me a long time to redo that.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #26
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Instead of rooting why don't you just put cm7 on an Sd card and when you want to run the stock NC just pull the card.

Temetka couldn't you just transfer the full folder over to your NC memory and then access it from stock?

I guess some people, like me, just throw a bunch of books on to read and then delete them when finished, maintaining their library on home PC, Notebook whatever.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #27
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Instead of rooting why don't you just put cm7 on an Sd card and when you want to run the stock NC just pull the card.

Temetka couldn't you just transfer the full folder over to your NC memory and then access it from stock?

I guess some people, like me, just throw a bunch of books on to read and then delete them when finished, maintaining their library on home PC, Notebook whatever.
I think the point is that we want the best of both worlds. The ability to use the stock software with the regular Google marketplace is very appealing. Since my son was born, I find I have a lot less time to hack my devices/computers to get them the way I want. And then, once an upgrade is offered, to re-hack again.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by temetka View Post
My NC is rooted with Manual Nooter and to be honest I am very very close to resetting it back to stock. What I wanted was what others had mentioned: I wanted the B&N home screen and stuff, with an android marketplace icon under my apps so I could install stuff from there. I guess we cant actually have that. That being said I have purchased quite a few apps from the B&N marketplace and none (that weren't free) from the android marketplace. I actually quite like the stock software. My only problem with going back to stock is that I am lazy. I have over 200 downloaded e-books on my NC and all of them are properly files in their categorized shelves. It would take me a long time to redo that.
You want what I want so hopefully this will help you get your NC set up pretty close to how you would like it. This is what I did and it seems to work great. First I enabled softkeys. I then went into softkeys settings and set softkeys home key to go to the B&N home with a quick press. Then I set it to go to Zeam launcher with a long press. I then set the softkeys to keep a shortcut in my notification tray. I also set my main N button on my NC to go to the B&N home. So all I have to do is press the N like normal and use my NC like it is stock (but with a better keyboard and browser). And when I do want to do something with my non-B&N apps I hit the softkeys and long press on the home icon. That takes me right to zeam and only takes 3 seconds.

If at any time you need to get to either home (B&N or Zeam) and you don't have your softkeys enabled, just do a search. Home should bring up B&N home and zeam should bring up the zeam launcher. It takes a bit longer but it is there if you need it.

I also set my browser button on b&n home to go to Opera mini instead of the stock browser, but that doesn't work 100% of the time. I can't seem to get Dolphin browser to show up in the market. I wonder if I had the apk if I could install it with Root Explorer?

Oh and I don't know if any of you are aware, but don't let your NC install any Adobe Flash or Adobe Air updates. It will throw yiu rooted NC into a bootloop and you will have to start from scratch. If it does update go into NookColor tools app, select application management (or something like that I can't remember if that is the actual header) go to all and select those apps. If it did update there should be an option to uninstall that update and set you back to what you had. There is also a flash install to help prevent this but I don't know if it actually works. I found it at the xda forums and all you do is put it on your memory card and install just like the manual root. I have a thread here about my problems and there are links there.

Tags
mod, rooting