Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have a 3yo flip phone. The battery is starting to go, so I'll need to renew my contract and get another free one.

If I got the Nook right now, then it would have to stay home on my trips to the back country. That's why I want longer battery life. The Kindle has enough and the Nook doesn't.

How it works for you is irrelevant to my situation.
Just out of curiosity, just where is "the back country"? Just asking; no judgment.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Just out of curiosity, just where is "the back country"? Just asking; no judgment.
Mountain cabin, no power.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I have a 3yo flip phone. The battery is starting to go, so I'll need to renew my contract and get another free one.

If I got the Nook right now, then it would have to stay home on my trips to the back country. That's why I want longer battery life. The Kindle has enough and the Nook doesn't.

How it works for you is irrelevant to my situation.
so basically you would also have no other electronic devices correct? No generator etc.

if epub is your concern maybe you should check the Kobo 2 coming out next month.

Actually if you don't like or care about the LCD screen the new Kobo IMHO is actually a better deal than the Kindle Wi fi. It's more sleaker looking, has epub, just as thin and compact (actually first so, since the new kindle looks to match the original kobo's design) Pretty solid book platform with Borders/Kobo

Personally I still think the Nook with it's color touch screen is the better of the three.

but you've been on here for a while now doing nothing but complaining about the nook and everything you hate about it.
well this is you chance to move on give teh Kobo 2 a whirl.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I doubt if there are many potential buyers of e-readers who intend to regularly take their devices to an isolated mountain cabin with no power. Ted Kusinski might have but he's no longer with us. ;-)

Edit. He's still with us but in prison. My bad.

Last edited by AndyfromVA; 09-29-2010 at 02:31 PM.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
Why can't you charge it with the car? I have a little multi device car charger that accepts any usb connection. With that I can charge the nook, the ipods, and even the new cell phones in my family. You can probably get a days worth of reading out of 20 minutes of charging. Not ideal- but it works.

Now if you are hiking in- that won't work. I backpack, but don't think I'd want or risk my electronics on those adventures. Haul around a couple paper books.

If you that's the ONLY reason you don't want a nook, then that is a solution.

Oh by the way, the car charger was about $5 at Ross's Dress for Less. I'm sure you can get one on amazon for a similar price.

Last edited by LynnO; 09-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #21
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Hmmmm...OK...in that case, my recommendation would be to stick to paper books and forget the ereader. I mean, if you're going to kick it old school, kick it old school. You will probably read the device by gas lamp anyway. You can't beat paper for that. Just sayin'...
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmmm...OK...in that case, my recommendation would be to stick to paper books and forget the ereader. I mean, if you're going to kick it old school, kick it old school. You will probably read the device by gas lamp anyway. You can't beat paper for that. Just sayin'...
Books cost money; ebooks don't.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Books cost money; ebooks don't.
Then, you'll just have to get a Kindle 3. It meets your requirements. What else is there to say?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Then, you'll just have to get a Kindle 3. It meets your requirements. What else is there to say?
Library books.

I'll wait for Nook 2 to see how it compares.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
You have a tough life tubemonkey.

As for recharging the battery on my Nook I have to do it every 3 days. But then I read a lot since I carry it with me & read whenever I can catch a few minutes here & there.

My DH is after me to also get a Kindle3 so that I can get some books I can't get through B&N. That is why I took a look at Kindle3. But I can live without those books I guess....At least I think I can.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Why can't you charge it with the car? I have a little multi device car charger that accepts any usb connection. With that I can charge the nook, the ipods, and even the new cell phones in my family. You can probably get a days worth of reading out of 20 minutes of charging. Not ideal- but it works.

Now if you are hiking in- that won't work. I backpack, but don't think I'd want or risk my electronics on those adventures. Haul around a couple paper books.

If you that's the ONLY reason you don't want a nook, then that is a solution.

Oh by the way, the car charger was about $5 at Ross's Dress for Less. I'm sure you can get one on amazon for a similar price.
No car. Books cost money, ebooks don't.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
so basically you would also have no other electronic devices correct? No generator etc.
No car, no generator. I have an old AAA battery powered MP3 player that also goes along.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
You have a tough life tubemonkey.
Not a tough life. Just looking for a way to read while getting away from it all.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #29
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
if epub is your concern maybe you should check the Kobo 2 coming out next month.
Err... isn't Kobo's battery life even worse? Or was there such a significant improvement with software updates?
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Not a tough life. Just looking for a way to read while getting away from it all.
Aren't there solar-powered chargers out there?
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote