Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
GooReader launched, supports Google Books

A new reading app for Google Books was just announced today. It's called GooReader and it interfaces directly with the Google Books website. It comes in both paid and free versions.

I just posted an early review over on my blog. I'm not impressed. I really have to wonder what's the point. You can download these books as PDFs. I have a couple really good PDF readers and this wasn't any better.

The Digital Reader

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-13-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I hate those cheesy "pretend to turn a page" animations in readers.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Me too. It just seems anachronistic at this point. I just don't get it. It's not like being able to swipe to turn the page makes it feel any more like a "book". Once you get rid of the paper, that ship has sailed. People just need to deal with it.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Generally I think of a portable devices like smart phones, iPad, Android platforms when term "app" is used. This appears to be a Windows computer only program. And agreed, how many readers do we really need?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I just posted an early review over on my blog. I'm not impressed. I really have to wonder what's the point. You can download these books as PDFs. I have a couple really good PDF readers and this wasn't any better.
That was my first reaction, then I read the "sales" page and they are promoting all of the features I don't care to have.

Quote:
+1 I can't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Generally I think of a portable devices like smart phones, iPad, Android platforms when term "app" is used. This appears to be a Windows computer only program. And agreed, how many readers do we really need?
The term "app" has been used for several decades on every platform and OS I can think of. When Java when it first came out SUN tried to call their web apps "Applets" to differentiate that they where not full blown apps.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Me too. It just seems anachronistic at this point. I just don't get it. It's not like being able to swipe to turn the page makes it feel any more like a "book". Once you get rid of the paper, that ship has sailed. People just need to deal with it.
The next step? A special ebook mouse-- at random intervals as you are flipping over the virtual page, the software sends a signal to the mouse to extend a small razor blade embedded in the left button. It gives the authentic "paper cut" experience.

This is unrelated to my idea for the indie writer's keyboard! That keyboard has a needle in the center of the key for the exclamation mark! It teaches you to only use exclamation marks when you actually need exclamation marks!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The next step? A special ebook mouse-- at random intervals as you are flipping over the virtual page, the software sends a signal to the mouse to extend a small razor blade embedded in the left button. It gives the authentic "paper cut" experience.

This is unrelated to my idea for the indie writer's keyboard! That keyboard has a needle in the center of the key for the exclamation mark! It teaches you to only use exclamation marks when you actually need exclamation marks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Might be interesting if you could 'bulk download' the google pdfs.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
This is lame. I'd expect more from Google. Page turning animation? Seriously? I don't think they understand what a digital reading experience should be. Even the 'bookshelf analogy' UI is anachronistic as well.

Digital books are not about recreating the physical book - they are about marrying the words from a book with the convenience and flexibility of a digital format.

Turning a page and storing a book on a shelf are not FEATURES of books, they are limitations of a physical format. Will Google next be inventing some technology to make our reading devices smell of paper and ink?

And they also seem to love PDF. PDF is a format designed to replicate a physical page (with set layout, fonts, etc.). This is not appropriate for electronic reading in most cases.

And does anyone read actual magazines in digital format? With content that is already a few weeks out of date before it gets printed? Why not just browse to a website with up-to-the-second information that will generally format to the screen you're reading it on?
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
A new reading app for Google Books was just announced today. It's called GooReader and it interfaces directly with the Google Books website. It comes in both paid and free versions.
- I like it!

Shame the Search doesn't return as many hits as the Google Books site, and it's hard to read some of the titles without resorting to the Info button.

Added: Just figured out I can change the number of search hits in the Options screen (deafault is 10 and max is 40 - too few!)

Not sure what the "Only books with Full View" tickbox does - it changes the search results, but doesn't restrict them to only books with Full View.

Last edited by Sparrow; 08-14-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
This is lame. I'd expect more from Google. Page turning animation? Seriously? I don't think they understand what a digital reading experience should be. Even the 'bookshelf analogy' UI is anachronistic as well.
Sorry I'm confused. Where does it say that this is a Google product?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Sorry I'm confused. Where does it say that this is a Google product?
And now that you mention it, who exactly does make gooreader?

Just searching around, I'm unable to find who the developer actually is.
If you go to books.google.com, there's no mention of it. If this were developed by Google, you'd most likely see this all over their pages.

For those that have installed this: In the license, does it say who develops this product?

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

And an ad at the foot of the gooreader site mentions Alpha ereader manager ....
how many more of these things do we need ?

[ps - I like the page turning mimic !]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

And an ad at the foot of the gooreader site mentions Alpha ereader manager ....
how many more of these things do we need ?
And that ebook manager costs 30 bucks. For a product that does less than the very capable and free Calibre, which runs on more than one platform.

Wonder how they decided on that price point.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrickh View Post
And that ebook manager costs 30 bucks. For a product that does less than the very capable and free Calibre, which runs on more than one platform.

Wonder how they decided on that price point.

R.
==

Pluck a figure out of the sky !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote