Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
lotusindigo
lotusindigo began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Exclusive to MobiPocket?

I'm satisfied from what I've learned about the Iliad's note-taking capabilities (to be honest, I'd buy it for that reason first) but since it IS an ebook reader I looked at the selection of ebooks I'd be able to get from mobipocket. I was very unimpressed, unfortunately. Mobipocket has a very incomplete selection of every one of my favorite authors' books. It would have a few titles from each author, but the most important ones (like the first ones from a series) would be missing. Is there any other source that you can download books from with the Iliad?
lotusindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
DanM
DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I had a Cybook Gen3 (broken, shopping for a new reader), and here's a list of eBook sources that I have bookmarked, which provide Mobipocket or common non-DRMed formats: Mobipocket, Baen, Books on Board, Fictionwise, Diesel eBooks, Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks.net, archive.org, FeedBooks, Pan McMillan. I'm quite sure that this is not an exhaustive list.

I also recently discovered ebookprice.info, which provides a multi-source search engine for eBooks and eBook prices.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MOBI ebooks are sold by many ebook stores, but they are almost always selling ebooks they get from mobipocket.com. They are often selling them for less than mobipocket.com, so it is worth shopping around. The exception to this is Books on Board which sells MOBI ebooks from mobipocket.com and from OverDrive. So BoB can have an ebook in MOBI format that other ebook stores don't have.

In the UK and Europe there are many ePub-only ebooks. See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented, for how to remove the DRM. Calibre does a good job of converting DRM-free ePub to MOBI.

Finally, http://www.ebookprice.info/ searches multiple stores and multiple formats. So you can see if an ebook is available in some other format. In my experience, a few older ebooks are Adobe PDF only but most recent non-technical ebooks are availbale in either MOBI or ePub or both.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
lotusindigo
lotusindigo began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Thanks for those links! That gives me a little more wiggle room.
lotusindigo is offline   Reply With Quote