Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Hall of Shame

There have been several threads complaining about the number of typos in ebooks etc. Most of the discussions have been about the causes of the shoddy productions, but I would like to try to do something to improve the situation.

We all know that there are many ebooks which are produced very well indeed, as well as any print book. But we also know that many ebooks are so poorly produced that most of us would be ashamed to have them go out over our signature.

My idea has two parts
1. That we name poorly produced books and their publishers, giving details of the faults;
2. That we let the publisher know that we have done so, including at least the name of the thread on this forum.

I hope in this way to motivate the publisher to correct the faults for the sake of continuing to make sales.

I'll start with Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser, published by HarperCollins UK. It is an ePub, and I read it on my ECO Reader.

To start with it has wide left and right margins, so that only 68mm of the 92mm wide screen is available for text. Even worse there is a quote from another book as a preface, and this quote is in a column only 28mm wide. It looks ridiculous.

Each chapter in the book starts on a new page, which I like. But the text of each new chapter starts 75mm down the 125mm screen.

One of the charms of the Flashman series is that Mr. Fraser gives several footnotes providing historical background. But the superscript in this ebook is the same size font as the rest of the text, which require a bigger line space and is very distracting. Even worse, although the links work to take one from the text to the footnote they do not work to take one from the footnote back to the text.

There are a disgraceful number of typos scattered throughout the text. Flashman appears as Flash-man several times, FU appears in a sentence and makes the meaning incomprehensible, and If! occurs where the text calls for If I. And there are many other typos.

I certainly would not have bought this book if I had know how badly formatted it is.

Regards, Alex

PS. I suggest that this thread be restricted to complaints about poor formatting and typos, and that the name of the book, publisher, format, and ebook reader used be included in the review.

Still no response from HarperCollins. When I went into the HTML to try to fix the typos I found that my HTML editor could not read it; it looks like machine code to my untutored ey.

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-25-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: No response from HarperCollins UK after a week
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. Purchased at Fictionwise. Many typos, missing punctuation. My guess is that they OCRd to generate the ebook. I would think any kind of proof reading/spell checking would have turned up many errors.

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris. The table of contents and chapter titles are wrong. Chapters are titled "~1", ~2". If you go to kobo books, you can see the problem just by looking at the web page for the book. I thought this was kinda funny as the table of contents and chapter titles appear messed up even at the most cursory review.

I purchased both of these at Fictionwise. They were very nice to deal with. I told them I didn't want a refund (as I had read the books), but they gave me one anyway.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
E-squared by Matthew Beaumont, published by HarperCollins, purchased at Sony's eBookstore. Half of the book is unreadable. Sure, the book was written in the form of emails, text messages, and blogs, but I've purchased the other two books in this series and had no trouble at all. With this book, it's like they just scanned it in--and didn't go back and check to make sure it looked okay.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
To start with it has wide left and right margins, so that only 68mm of the 92mm wide screen is available for text. Even worse there is a quote from another book as a preface, and this quote is in a column only 28mm wide. It looks ridiculous.
If it isn't copy protected, that is something you could easily change yourself. I usually have the opposite problem, where the margins aren't wide enough and the page numbers my reader adds crash into the text.

BTW, the one I posted example mistakes from was Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. The last ebook I bought was Fetish by J F Gonzalez, but it was a PDF that needed converting so I ran it through a spelling check in my word processor as part of that. There was lots and lots of mistakes, but I didn't keep a list of them.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Zionism, the Real Enemy of the Jews, vol 1:The False Messiah, published by Clarity Press www.claritypress.com, downloaded as a sample from Amazon as Kindle for PC, and read on my ECO Reader.

This is the worst formatted ebook I have ever read.

I hardly know where to start.
- there are many lines of text in which there are no spaces at all between the words. E.g. unconditionalsupportforIsraelisnotinAmerica'sownbe stinterests.Infact

I know that's hard to believe, but it's there, along with many others.
- There are many footnotes in the text. They numbers are full size font, thus requiring a noticeably increased line space. And the foot notes don't even work! At all!
- Some paragraphs are indented, some are not.
- There are many occasions in which the last word of a sentence is followed by a period, and then there is the first word of the next sentence without any space.
- Subheadings are not marked off in any way, so that one never knows whether it's a subheading or a single sentence paragraph.
- I suspect that the print book uses 'pull-quotes', i.e. short sentences which are taken out of the text, and put in a box at the side in a darker font, with the rest of the text flowing around the pull-quote. In this ebook version the pull-quote just appears at the side of the page, and the text starts again after it. All that does is to repeat the text for no obvious reason. And though pull-quotes can be effective in books and websites they occur so often in this ebook that they become a distraction.
- The absolute crowning example though is that one of the _author's_ previous books, Waiting for the Apocalypse, is cited as Waiting for the Apocalpyse.

I certainly won't be buying this ebook.

I would like to see something like the Ig-nobel annual prize for the worst formatted ebook which is sold each year. Perhaps we could make nominations and have the moderators (many of whom upload superbly formatted ebooks) choose the 'winner'. I nominate this book for 2010.

--
Regards, Alex

The version at Amazon remains unchanged.

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-25-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Update
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Another entry for the Hall of Shame - from Penguin Books of all people.

The book is Interventions, by Noam Chomsky, as an ePub ebook. I'll review the errors found in the first three sections, though there are many faults are scattered through the rest of the book - on almost every 'page'.

It has margins of 1.5em, which works out to be 9mm on my Cybook Gen3 which has a screen 90mm wide. So 20% of the screen is white space; not available for text.

- 'written specifically for the Ne w Y o r k T imes', and this is repeated again in the Editor's note and in several other places.

- 'Scheer's f i ring could have been attributed .. by the likes of Fox's BillO' Reilly'

- 'after Hu go Chavez praised it'

- 'he would not be that unusualXB... because'

- 'relatively pri v i l e ged minority'

- 'w e ll b e f o r e 9/11 it was'

Almost every page has a similar error.

As in so many ebook footnotes are shown by a superscript number, which forces an ugly wider line space. Penguin does not seem to have noticed that ebooks are not print books, and need not be bound by the same conventions. There is no need to mark footnotes by superscripts - putting them in square brackets with a smaller font works just as well.

But the crowning glory is that there is an index, complete with page numbers - page numbers are meaningless in ebooks.

In the past I haven't known whether to be more concerned that publishers would shovel out rubbish like this without proof reading it, or that the publisher shoveled it out anyway without any concern for their reputation. Now I'm starting to wonder whether this is a deliberate ploy by Penguin to turn people off ebooks so that they will return to print books.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Formatting issues are opinions. . .

and will vary from file format to file format. I think a hall of shame needs a more universal approach and deal with issues that transcend format, opinion and maybe even language issues.

Yeah, it's tougher that way, but you don't get bogged down in endless arguments over whether or not a book should or should not be included.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
and will vary from file format to file format. I think a hall of shame needs a more universal approach and deal with issues that transcend format, opinion and maybe even language issues.

Yeah, it's tougher that way, but you don't get bogged down in endless arguments over whether or not a book should or should not be included.
I think most formatting issues are not opinion. They are in fact poor formatting/proofing. Most ePub I get be it purchased or from the library has rather poor formatting. Sometimes an error can take you out of the book you are reading.

A lot of ePub have large paragraph spaces and some have margins that are too wide. Even small paragraph spaces are considered poor formatting. I do prefer no margins, but if the ePub has small margins, then that's my choice to change it as I don't conciser that to be a formatting blunder.

Another issue I've found a lot of is that the publishers think having a text size of small for the body is a good idea. It's not. It's too small. The default size for the body font is what should be used (i.e., no size specified at all for the body).

It's not hard at all to make a good looking ePub. So why is it that publishers have their heads stuck so far up their collective asses that they don't see this?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Great idea!

I think in fact that we need to be less specific!
The problem is generally at publisher level. Many dont appreciate that there is significant work required to get a printed book to represent well on an ereader. They should be giving equal priority to the setting and design of all formats.

By giving feedback on the actual publishers, we are encouraging them to up their game as well as rewarding those that do a good job. In turn, knowing that certain publishers have an excellent reputation for the finished product should encourage readers to favour their titles when deciding between eBooks.

We should have some kind or ranking system whereby whenever you read a good or bad eBook, the relevant publisher gets the thumbs up or down. get enough people to participate and believe me, publsihers will start to take notice.

I would actually be willing to help set up such a site either as part of MR or otherwise.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
JSWolf, I too prefer to margins, but unfortunately ADE on my reader likes to display little page numbers on the right hand side, and increase in size when I zoom the text. My only fix so far for non DRM is to remove all text resizing and set the right margin to 20pt, that way the text of the body does not overlap the page number and keeps the book readable.

Does anyone have any solutions to removing pages numbers entirely, or are we kind of stuck with it?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
JSWolf, I too prefer to margins, but unfortunately ADE on my reader likes to display little page numbers on the right hand side, and increase in size when I zoom the text. My only fix so far for non DRM is to remove all text resizing and set the right margin to 20pt, that way the text of the body does not overlap the page number and keeps the book readable.

Does anyone have any solutions to removing pages numbers entirely, or are we kind of stuck with it?
You Astak PP has a bug inb it's version of ADE. The page number on the right side is NOT supposed to increase when you change the font size. It is supposed to be tiny all the time.

Newer versions of mobile ADE can do away with that page number. The Sony Reader PRS-900 doesn't have the page number on the right side.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Great idea!

I think in fact that we need to be less specific!
The problem is generally at publisher level. Many don't appreciate that there is significant work required to get a printed book to represent well on an ereader. They should be giving equal priority to the setting and design of all formats.
Most ePub that I fix the formatting is not difficult to get it right in the first place. The formatting is fairly standard. Once that's sorted, it's then easy enough to convert to MS Reader and Mobipocket so they look good.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Great idea!

We should have some kind or ranking system whereby whenever you read a good or bad eBook, the relevant publisher gets the thumbs up or down. get enough people to participate and believe me, publsihers will start to take notice.

I would actually be willing to help set up such a site either as part of MR or otherwise.
tony cole, a member of MobileRead Forum, has a section of his blog about poorly formatted ebooks, but has not had much response.

Regards, Alex

PS: the URL is http://www.ebookanoid.com/typos-the-hall-of-typo-shame/

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-26-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe those who distribute e-books should establish quality control standards and reject anything shoddy, with idea that the publisher should correct the problems and resubmit. It may slightly drive up prices but I think it would be worth it.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote