Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Rapefruit
Rapefruit has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3 (64MB)
Question OpenInkpot Beginners-Questions

Hi everybody!

After fixing the hardware (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...105#post558105) I became more brave to try out alternative firmware as well.

There are a lot of things that I liked very much and some things that I didn't like. I'll make a separate post of my experience.

My questions:
  1. Why couldn't I see PDFs in the bookshelf application? Should I try a different snapshot for that? Which one? Or is there something I can do in the shell? Some config file maybe?
  2. Where I can I decide on a per file-type basis whether cr of fb opens a file?
  3. Maybe I just didn't see it but to me there was very little information about config files for the custom made applications. Where are they?
  4. Do the games work yet? I couldn't find any documentation about it anywhere.

Thanks
Rapefruit
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Looks like you installed one of the August snapshots, which don't read PDFs and there's no cr there either - so you can't choose reader application. Otherwise, you would choose it by long pressing the number of the book, which gives you a pop-up menu.
If you want all these functions, try older snapshots - March or May (there's only the installable version for the May snapshot).
I suppose the games don't work much, at least on Hanlin - I did give them a try, but without much success
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Rapefruit

Hey, thank!

True, I tried 2009-08-12. Will try the may version.
Thanks for the tip with the long-press, will try that as well.

Rapefruit
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
If you want all these functions, try older snapshots - March or May (there's only the installable version for the May snapshot).
Just a little comment in addition to some good advice.

The August snapshot reformats the book storage FAT file system to jffs2, so it will probably also require reformatting the file system back to FAT16 to revert to an earlier snapshot?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Rapefruit

Thanks for the hint. I wouldn't know, because I had the official hanlin firmware installed in between. And that one flashed fine without reformatting.
So maybe the same is true when downgrading OI directly?
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
What games are there in OIP?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Sudoku and a few other ones that I don't know what you're supposed to do. But as I said, they don't seem to work much yet.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Sudoku and a few other ones that I don't know what you're supposed to do. But as I said, they don't seem to work much yet.
One of them is called fifteen. It's an old puzzel (4x4) with the numbers 1 - 15 and one blank. The object is to line the numbers up sequentially. The left side page turn moves numbers left & right but I found nothing to move them up & down.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
One of them is called fifteen. It's an old puzzel (4x4) with the numbers 1 - 15 and one blank. The object is to line the numbers up sequentially. The left side page turn moves numbers left & right but I found nothing to move them up & down.
Wow, I am glad I was not the only one who could not figure that out.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
You're right, I knew this one, just forgot about it at the moment I was writing the answer. I figured about as much as you did.
And there's a similar one there with a square of numbers and somehow I managed to switch places of some of them (like I was turning a small square of 2x2 numbers inside).
The Bridges game draws links between some of the numbers sometimes, even multiple ones.
All in all there seem to be "up" and "down" keys missing, I guess they are on the Hanvon device so the games make more sense there.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The volume up & down would be logical for that but didn't do anything.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yeah, puzzles are not really adapted to V3 yet.

What do you think about WASD-like cursor on 2/5/6/7 keys?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
What do you think about WASD-like cursor on 2/5/6/7 keys?
Rather 2/6/7/8, I think. Sounds good.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Rather 2/6/7/8, I think. Sounds good.
I concur.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #15
Rapefruit

That was my first try, also. I have admit, it didn't even occur to me to try the volume buttons... So: WASD-like cursor on 2/6/7/8 keys would be the best solution in my view. Mainly because it is intuitive.