Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
will kindle dx help publishers see they need to hyperlink textbooks?

right now the amazon e-textbooks for kindle are not well formatted. Publishers are being lazy and not adding features like hyperlinked TOC or more commonly - no hyperlinked Index in the back of the book.

combined with the problem I had with my 128 mb harrison's principles of internal medicine kindle book (before they removed it from the market) - the problem was it did not search...

overall, I think amazon needs to require publishers to do more before submitting textbooks to the amazon kindle store. they need to raise the quality bar...
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
No, they are about the most arrogant, pompous lot of publishers extant. They have a monopoly based on course requirements and have squeezed it to the max, without conscience. Any enhancements will only be provided at a cost.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't really think it is practical to expect Amazon to try and force anything on publishers. It is hard enough getting them to produce ebooks at all. I hope that eventually, market pressure will force them to do a decent job formatting all books, not just textbooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
i wonder if this has changed yet this year. still wishing textbooks had better ebook conversion formating.
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
si14
si14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
In contrast, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1163494 has a proper hyperlinked TOC
si14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Of all the ebook textbooks I have, none have ever come with hyperlinked TOCs, and searching for strings is a nightmare, its just as hard to find stuff in them as a hardbound book.

Cost of ebook textbooks isn't really a money saver either, they charge you almost the same amount, unless you chose to purchase by chapter (which RARELY is an option, as most courses cover entire books).

I have probably 40 textbooks from getting my degrees, and I only still use about 6 or so, and they are all 20-30$ reference books. The 120$ hard bounds just rot on the shelf, their esoteric contents probably undeserving of TOCs anyways.

It isn't terribly hard to edit in TOCs yourself, I've done it before in acrobat (as they are always always always released exclusively in PDF for some reason), it just takes a really long time, and you may need to fiddle with the DRM in some cases. But I paid for the book, so I figure I have the right to do whatever the hell I want with it, including deleting pages I don't want to see.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

A bit better than when I was in Grad school in the early 1980s. The profs would send us to the local Kinkos to get a xeroxed copy of their course agenda and quite often their textbook. Nope, no digital file that was printed at Kinkos like today. The profs would give Kinkos a printed copy on letter size paper and have them xerox and bind it. It still cost out the backside, usually had a few pages missing, upside down, out of order, or simply too screwed up to read. Of course few people had computers in those days.

But as far as today's textbooks and technical papers, there is no excuse for these being put in PDF format for ebook readers. PDFs are for printing, not for reading electronically. HTML has been around the better part of two decades, so if the publishers cannot figure out how to use it and convert it to different formats, they should not be publishers. If they would use HTML they could easily add hyperlinks and easily convert it to MOBI, ePub, or even PDF. Basically we readers are in the 21st century and the publishers are still in the 20th century--pre-1990s.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Oh, I didn't count those 50$ spiral bound crapbooks, I just trashbin those after every course.

0 Re-readability.

DX doesn't support TOC/navigation/links anyways at the moment, though they show up.

Or am I just stupid and can't figure out how to work the joystick and such?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Oh, I didn't count those 50$ spiral bound crapbooks, I just trashbin those after every course.

0 Re-readability.

DX doesn't support TOC/navigation/links anyways at the moment, though they show up.

Or am I just stupid and can't figure out how to work the joystick and such?
No, PDF links are not currently supported on any Kindle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote