Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Cleveland Public Library First to Offer EPUB eBook Downloads

CLEVELAND, OH - Cleveland Public Library (http://emedia.clevnet.org) today became the first public library to offer eBook downloads in the industry standard EPUB format. Readers at both Cleveland Public Library and CLEVNET member libraries can check out and download EPUB eBooks from the library's download website.

The EPUB files are optimized for the Sony® Reader and can also be read on a PC or Mac® with free Adobe® Digital Editions software.

Details:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28675619/
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009...ong_first.html

Last edited by Kris777; 01-17-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
cindynsg
cindynsg began at the beginning.

Device: none
That's nice but you must be a member of one of these libraries for it to work.

1. Cleveland Public Library
2. Bellevue Public Library
3. Birchard Public Library
4. Burton Public Library
5. Cleveland Hts. - University Hts. Public Library
Cleveland Law Library *
6. Clyde Public Library
7. East Cleveland Public Library
8. Elyria Public Library
9. Euclid Public Library
10. Fairport Harbor Public Library
Global Issues Resource Center *
Hawken School *
11. Hudson Library & Historical Society
12. Huron Public Library
13. Kirtland Public Library
14. Lorain Public Library
15. Madison Public Library
16. Medina County District Library
17. Milan - Berlin Township Public Library
18. Orrville Public Library
19. Peninsula Library
20. Perry Public Library
21. Ritter Public Library
22. Sandusky Library
23. Shaker Heights Public Library
24. Twinsburg Public Library
25. Wayne County Public Library
26. Wickliffe Public Library
27. Willoughby - Eastlake Public Library
cindynsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent news, thanks for the info !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Does anyone want to add this information to our wiki page on ebook lending libraries?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
Ooh I'm jealous. I doubt my local library (which is in rural New Hampshire and is about the size of my living room) will be offering ebook downloads anytime soon... On the other hand, they do offer downloadable audiobooks, so maybe ebooks are the next step.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraptured View Post
Ooh I'm jealous. I doubt my local library (which is in rural New Hampshire and is about the size of my living room) will be offering ebook downloads anytime soon... On the other hand, they do offer downloadable audiobooks, so maybe ebooks are the next step.
If you want you can, as several here have, join the New York public library system. As a non-resident it cost $100 a year, but that is much cheaper than buying 5-10 books a month if you are a heavy reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I hope that the compensation going back to the authors and publishers is updated to reflect this new reality. With this model going out to the 8500+ Overdrive supplied libraries it's going to be easier to borrow a well formatted electronic book then to buy it.

I'm fine with it if the compensation going back to the authors and publishers is the same when the book is borrowed as when it was purchased. The difference being that the tax payer is picking up the tab. As long as the tax payers are willing to fund it everything is fine. My understanding right now is that the compensation going back is more of a symbolic pittance.

Most of the members of my family will be thrilled with this news though. I'm the black sheep that continues to buy books.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Does anyone want to add this information to our wiki page on ebook lending libraries?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
i added it to the wiki page with a link back to this thread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you want you can, as several here have, join the New York public library system. As a non-resident it cost $100 a year, but that is much cheaper than buying 5-10 books a month if you are a heavy reader.

BOb
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I hope that the compensation going back to the authors and publishers is updated to reflect this new reality. With this model going out to the 8500+ Overdrive supplied libraries it's going to be easier to borrow a well formatted electronic book then to buy it.

I'm fine with it if the compensation going back to the authors and publishers is the same when the book is borrowed as when it was purchased. The difference being that the tax payer is picking up the tab. As long as the tax payers are willing to fund it everything is fine. My understanding right now is that the compensation going back is more of a symbolic pittance.

Most of the members of my family will be thrilled with this news though. I'm the black sheep that continues to buy books.
Is borrowing an ebook from the library different from borrowing a print book from the library?
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the tip

Is borrowing an ebook from the library different from borrowing a print book from the library?
Yes, you can borrow it online once you have a library card and you don't need to return it since it expires.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So far as I can tell, if a library buys N copies of an ebook then N patrons can checkout the ebook at any one time. The checkout time is a fixed period of time with the ebook expiring at the end of the checkout period. However, with Adobe (but not MOBI) there is an early return capability. OverDrive allows for "consortia", which I take to mean groups of libraries that are pooling resources, but overall this seems to be patterned on how physical books are handled by libraries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
No good for the Kindle . . .

Its really difficult reading this thread being a Kindle owner who lives in the Cleveland area

I knew going into it that it supported only the Kindle proprietary eBook format, so I can't complain or gripe.

Hopefully they'll re-think things and add the e-Pub format, but I highly doubt it. Why would they, they want Kindle owners to buy all their eBooks from them!

I may have to start combing these forums and choose another eReader; I can always sell the Kindle.
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTrail View Post
Its really difficult reading this thread being a Kindle owner who lives in the Cleveland area

I knew going into it that it supported only the Kindle proprietary eBook format, so I can't complain or gripe.

Hopefully they'll re-think things and add the e-Pub format, but I highly doubt it. Why would they, they want Kindle owners to buy all their eBooks from them!

I may have to start combing these forums and choose another eReader; I can always sell the Kindle.
Kindle owners have never had to buy all their books from Amazon. I believe fictionwise and other stores sell mobi format books. Check our wiki.

And the clevnet has almost a thousand mobipocket books which you can check out, download to your computer, and read on your kindle if you install kindlefix. This doesn't strip DRM, and the book will still be unreadable after the checkout period.

If I were you, I'd be the first in line tomorrow if I didn't already have a library card.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
Hope Yet . . .

I do have the KindlePID utility installed and know how to use it, I've just not yet had a reason to

Our city's library is a Cuyahoga County Public Library branch, and I'm a member of this library.

Hopefully I can get a Cleveland Public Library card, I don't know how they base their memberships.
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is a list of the libraries which make up clevnet....if you belong to just one, you can use your current library ID to check out books. Make sure you already have mobipocket (free) installed.

Have fun!

http://www.cpl.org/index.php?q=node/90
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote