Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Wow, I'd missed that.

I've posted links to fics at Archiveofourown several times and nobody's warned me. And I'd argue loudly if they did... AO3 is run by the OTW, which contends that most fanfiction is transformative, not derivative, and therefore covered under fair use laws, at least in the US.
Fair use favors uses that (1) are noncommercial and not sold for a profit; (2) are transformative, adding new meaning and messages to the original; (3) are limited, not copying the entirety of the original; and (4) do not substitute for the original work. None of these factors is absolutely necessary for fair use, but they all help, and we believe that fanworks like those in the archive easily qualify as fair uses based on all these factors.
The vast majority of fanfic fits all four of those criteria.
If you get in a debate over this issue, let me know so I can witness it and possibly add support, ok? Good luck!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
The best HP fanfic I've ever read was the Psychic Serpent trilogy by Barb Purdom. I don't have the links handy but Google is your friend.

Seriously, her books replace books 5, 6 and 7 and in my opinion are better than Rowling's work.
Hi:

I actually went looking for this--when I want to feed my inner kid, I like the occasional (well-done) HP fanfic. I've never read any type of fanfic before, and I stumbled across the Lippert books over Xmas and liked them. Not fabulous, but perfectly readable. But when I look for the Purdom book, all I find is a book in webpages, on that fan fic site. Does she not have it up in ePUB or MOBI anywhere? (And if it's against MR rules to post links to fanfic, would you mind PM'ing me the location if you know it? Thx.). I don't mean to be lazy, but I don't want to build myself an entire ePUB from kinda crappily-formatted webpages if I can help it. Legal sources only, pls, thanks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi:

I actually went looking for this--when I want to feed my inner kid, I like the occasional (well-done) HP fanfic. I've never read any type of fanfic before, and I stumbled across the Lippert books over Xmas and liked them. Not fabulous, but perfectly readable. But when I look for the Purdom book, all I find is a book in webpages, on that fan fic site. Does she not have it up in ePUB or MOBI anywhere? (And if it's against MR rules to post links to fanfic, would you mind PM'ing me the location if you know it? Thx.). I don't mean to be lazy, but I don't want to build myself an entire ePUB from kinda crappily-formatted webpages if I can help it. Legal sources only, pls, thanks.

Hitch
It's a pretty old fanfic and might not have ePubs handy now. I have ePubs, of course, and would be happy to email them to any one that wants them. Just PM me your email address and I will send them on.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
It's a pretty old fanfic and might not have ePubs handy now. I have ePubs, of course, and would be happy to email them to any one that wants them. Just PM me your email address and I will send them on.
A fellow MR'er kindly sent me ePUBs and the PDF's, as well. The ePUBs are in dreadful shape; I thought of writing to her (I don't know the legalities involved with fanfic, as until December I'd never read any) and asking if she'd be okay with me remaking them, from the PDF source, into something better-formatted. (The ePUBs also seem to have a lot of OCR errors). Not for ducats; just so she could have something for folks like us who want to read it. {shrug). If you have the epubs in an already-cleaned format, of course, that's a different story. I'll pm you, thank you.

My brain gets kerfuffled if I try to read something that is really badly ocr'd and formatted. Obviously, it's a hazard of my profession, but, there you go. I was very cranky about the PG Dash Hammetts when I got them--the Thin Man was very poorly done. ;-)

Thanks!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote