Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
caviedogz
Banned
caviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Question Off line publishing & Online publishing

Wonder if someone here could answer a question for me. I am nearly finished writing a novel which I will put in Kindle books on Amazon and other ebook sites. However, a friend who is proof reading the novel has suggested I look at getting it published off line as well (e.g. paperback or whatever) which I would like to do. Would it be alright to publish the book online first then approach publishers or would publishers take a dim view of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
caviedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by caviedogz View Post
Would it be alright to publish the book online first then approach publishers or would publishers take a dim view of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If your novel sells 100,000 Kindle copies in the first week, publishers will be delighted to meet you, otherwise not.

If you are interested in trying the traditional publishing route, you should do that first. About 10 per cent of the agents/small publishers you send your novel to will look at it and you may get some useful comments if nothing else - you may even strike lucky. You should calculate on 30-40 rejections before you start looking at alternatives.

If you go straight to direct publishing you will almost certainly sell x+10 copies (x being the number of friends and relations you have) in the first year. This will not be enough to excite any publisher.

Incidentally, I don't know what things are like in Australia, but in the UK no publisher of any size will accept submissions directly.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
If you're going to self publish your ebook, you can release a print version through Createspace. It's an Amazon company, but you can opt for expanded distribution and have it available everywhere. It won't be on bookstore shelves, but people will be able to order it outside of Amazon.

Big news was recently made when Bella Andre made a print-only deal for her books that she self-publishes. She's a mega superstar in ebook sales, however. Many others (like Amanda Hocking) who made the jump from self-publishing to traditional publishing had to give the publishers their digital rights as well. Only time will tell whether others will be able to make similar print-only deals, but I think you'd have to have a lot of ebook sales behind you to even attempt to make such a deal.

You should check out the Kindleboard forums - http://www.kindleboards.com - for threads on releasing print copies of your self-published work. Most people find that the majority of their sales come through their ebooks, but it's always nice to have the paper option available.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
caviedogz
Banned
caviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-bookscaviedogz has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for your replies. I guess I can only hope.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
If you are interested in trying the traditional publishing route, you should do that first. About 10 per cent of the agents/small publishers you send your novel to will look at it and you may get some useful comments if nothing else - you may even strike lucky. You should calculate on 30-40 rejections before you start looking at alternatives.
There's also a very good chance your book might never be reprinted as an ebook, and that you might not even be able to retain any rights at all to it. Pbook publishers have some damn nasty contracts.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
caviedogz
Banned

Yes, I figured that. If in the event I get a positive response, I would definitely check out all the small print as I do want to list digitally.

Tags
ebooks, kindle, offline publishing, online publisher, publishing novels