Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
And then there were three (Kindle Comparison)

First I bought the Kindle Keyboard, then I bought
the Kindle DX, and then the Kindle Fire.

Now after using all Three here is how I view them.

The Kindle Keyboard is the one I grab when I want to read for
enjoyment it's light, and small and is like reading a paperback book.

The Kindle DX is the one I grab when I am reading a Manual
or a PDF it is a bit heavier and is like reading a Textbook.

The Kindle Fire is what I use when I want a multimedia device.
I use it to quickly check my e-mail, or to listen to music (or a book).
Pretty much it is a tablet computer pretending to be a Kindle.

All three have their place, and I use all three for different task.

Just throwing this out there for others who may want a real life comparison.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I am the same way with my K3 and Fire. I use the Fire for reading magazines, news, and productive stuff as well as creative, and the K3 for reading and audiobooks.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
They are pretty clearly defined differences/obvious different uses for those three Kindles (which is probably why many people are still happy to hold onto their Kindle DX). The differences get blurry when you are comparing the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT and Kindle Touch.

How much do you enjoy the touch-screen interface on your Kindle Fire for example, will it maybe lead you to considering 'upgrading' your Kindle Keyboard for the Kindle Touch?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
They are pretty clearly defined differences/obvious different uses for those three Kindles (which is probably why many people are still happy to hold onto their Kindle DX). The differences get blurry when you are comparing the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT and Kindle Touch.

How much do you enjoy the touch-screen interface on your Kindle Fire for example, will it maybe lead you to considering 'upgrading' your Kindle Keyboard for the Kindle Touch?
I'm constantly wiping off the screen on the fire.
A touch screen is nice on a media device,
but for straight reading I like the buttons.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I'm constantly wiping off the screen on the fire.
A touch screen is nice on a media device,
but for straight reading I like the buttons.
I hear what you're saying and given a choice it's nice for a device to have both, but fingerprints on a glossy tablet LCD aren't anything like fingerprints on an eInk touch screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I hear what you're saying and given a choice it's nice for a device to have both, but fingerprints on a glossy tablet LCD aren't anything like fingerprints on an eInk touch screen.
Totally true. My iPad is a "fingerprint magnet"; I perhaps give my Kindle Touch screen a wipe with a microfibre cloth once a month; it just doesn't show fingerprints.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
The Kindle Keyboard is the one I grab when I want to read for enjoyment it's light, and small and is like reading a paperback book.

The Kindle DX is the one I grab when I am reading a Manual
or a PDF it is a bit heavier and is like reading a Textbook.

The Kindle Fire is what I use when I want a multimedia device.
I use it to quickly check my e-mail, or to listen to music (or a book).
Pretty much it is a tablet computer pretending to be a Kindle.
Substitute a KT for the Keyboard and an iPad for the Fire and there I am, although I do use the iPad more for a general computing device. It's not really pretending to be a Kindle.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
While I don't have a DX (too rich for my blood), my general uses of my Kindle things echo what's already in this thread. Keyboard for most reading and Fire for pretty much everything else like email, quick browsing, videos, etc.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
While I don't have a DX (too rich for my blood), my general uses of my Kindle things echo what's already in this thread. Keyboard for most reading and Fire for pretty much everything else like email, quick browsing, videos, etc.
I will admit the DX was the hardest for me to buy,
The price is a bit stiff, but it really was the only way other
than sitting at the PC for me to read a lot of the docs I have.

But I will admit the Fire is Fun
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm surprised how much I'm using my Kindle Fire over my K3. It's not that it's a better e-reader (because it isn't, by a long shot), but the Fire is excellent for watching videos while I'm on the treadmill, and reading a bit here and there. The backlight is great for low-light situations, but I still go back to my K3 for serious reading sessions and for any outdoor reading.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
The price is a bit stiff, but it really was the only way other
than sitting at the PC for me to read a lot of the docs I have.
This is what's so frustrating (and why I haven't bought it): no wi-fi for effortless transfer from PC to DX. Would buy it just for Calibre newspapers and magazines effortlessly delivered over wi-fi. Or the "Send to my Kindle" Firefox extension.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote