Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
JayCook
JayCook began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Must Register?

I have read the newbies thread (thanks!). Can you clarify please, does one have to register their unit? I have a smartcard and I was going to just copy books from my computer onto the card, then put the card into the reader. Will the card show up on the reader? At this point, I am only interested in the classics and free (noncopywrighted) stuff. I haven't taken the reader out of the box yet!

JayCook
JayCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
No, but it can't hurt!

See the thread, Newbie question re: registering, for more info.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, JayCook
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Suggest registering before 12/4/2012 (the last day Fictionwise, etc. is selling), as it will put your name into it's memory as owner - as far as I know this has to be done while on-line.

Last edited by ThePage; 11-28-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: punctuation
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
As far as I can tell, you can no longer register eBookwise devices.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
As far as I can tell, you can no longer register eBookwise devices.
I remember when I had acquired my first REB1200 (manufactured by RCA but sold by Gemstar), the seller on ebay was shipping it to me as the Gemstar ebook servers were going down for good.

Just my luck, I received the REB1200 just AFTER the servers permanently shut down and thus I could not register my device.

Ah, it seems history is repeating itself with the REB1200's little brother, the EWB1150...

My saving grace, at the time, was that www.ebookwise.com come to be and I could finally register my device and purchase mainstream ebooks. And a large part of that ebookwise.com launch was ETI Technologies in the background helping with technical support.

Well, sorry for the digression, but ETI set up a personal server where you could upload content and hopefully still register your device (just for now or forever... ).

Try accessing https://my.ebooksystem.net/personal/default.asp (don't be too worried about the certificate violation, it's just a renewal issue, I believe, or lack there of; damn money grab!) Just click the "I understand the Risks..." button.

Once there, click https://my.ebooksystem.net/personal/uid-help.asp to (hopefully) register your device.

This assumes that you have already tried the "on-device" registration method and that failed.

If this method fails, then I don't know what else will help short of contacting the "old" ETI contacts (Garth/John) to see if they can help....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
JayCook

Re: Must register?

When I connected to my Online Bookshelf today, there is a "Shutdown Notification" There is nothing about registering (I guess they figure who is going to want to register if they haven't already?)

What they do say is the the servers will be shut down permanently as of January 13, 2013. Looks like we have to download as much as we can up to that date, then that's it.

I have so enjoyed this ereader. We have three in the house. I don't want the bells and whistles and I really don't like these thin, thin, thin ones that are out now. Sorry to see it go.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
JayCook

Re: Must register?

Sorry, make that January 31st!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
whitequeen54
whitequeen54 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
You can still upload books to your ereader with the eBookwise Librarian program. I plan to use my two eBookwise readers until they die. And my sister has one and my nephew, and I'm sure they will give me theirs if I need them (they've both been Kindle-ize). I've had my first one for 7 years now and it's still going strong.
whitequeen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
whitequeen54

Also, I convert my books (with Calibre) to rb (Rocketbook) format before I put them on the Librarian program. It works great.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
JayCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitequeen54 View Post
You can still upload books to your ereader with the eBookwise Librarian program.
Unfortunately, one can no longer get the Librarian program. It was unavailable when my trial ran out.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
whitequeen54

Go to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/GEB_Librarian. Down towards the bottom it says "Ebookwise Librarian - rebranded GEBLibrarian software (no longer being offered for sale by www.ebookwise.com, but is available for direct download here)"

Click on the "here" and you can download the program directly to your computer.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
JayCook

Thanks for that whitequeen54. I have used the librarian software before and found the ebookwise servers much more efficient. So now that they (the servers) will no longer be available, I downloaded the Librarian program again. I converted an epub to an rb, then Right Clicked on the *.rb > send to Librarian to Import. The Librarian prog seems to work but when I go to the Online Boodshelf, it says there is a book there but not in the correct format for my ereader. Any idea why I can't get it to accept and *.rb?
Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
JayCook

Sorry, should have added that I used Calibre to convert.
I also tried with a *.txt ebook, with the same error message.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
whitequeen54

I think I encountered that once and I think I reinstalled the eBookwise driver, which solved the problem. Sorry I can't remember but try that and let me know. I will check this thread every day now, since they only seem to send out updates once a week.

Another problem you might encounter is when you first try to upload the books to your reader, you will get an error. You then need to reset the reader and try again and so far it has always worked for me.