Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
fozzy40
fozzy40 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Best Reader for Research Papers

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good iphone app for reading research papers which are typically in PDF form. I've tried calibre and stanza but the formatting seems to be off which makes reading very difficult. I have dropbox which works well but I was hoping to find an app that gives it more of a ereader feel as opposed to having to keep swiping through the document.

Any suggestions?
fozzy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Try Goodreader. There's a free version so you can try it out first, but I bought it for just $0.99.

Goodreader is the best pdf reader for the iPhone for me, it allows you to crop margins, reflow the PDF text, and there's an autoscroll feature so you don't have to keep swiping.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I use iBooks for my PDF's as you can sync with your desk top, and also load them in by email. And it's free
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot sync with your desktop. That's a load of rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I use iBooks for my PDF's as you can sync with your desk top, and also load them in by email. And it's free
I hate using iBooks for PDFs. If I read a PDF on the iPhone/iTouch, I read it horizontal. I then have to enlarge each page of the PDF, since it reverts back to the original size for each page. Very irritating. Plus, iBooks has no text reflow feature. Or autoscroll.

Plus, iBooks is so sluggish. It takes forever for it to open books, turn orientation, turn pages, it's virtually unreadable for me.

Last edited by arcadata; 08-14-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
not true. it syncs with iTunes, which is on my desktop! Fact.

iBooks can be slow on an iphone3g running ios4, but is ok on the iphone4 and iPad, well it is for me.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't be impolite, Jon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
mjhudston
All round good egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And I appologise for biting back!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I've used both iBooks and Goodreader for pdfs. GoodReader wins hands-down. You can open it as a disk on your computer and transfer folders direct. It allows you to crop pages, which can give you a larger text-image. It also offers a lot of other possibilities: you can use it as a file-manager, for it transfers files to other apps (such as iBooks).

A big drawback for the moment is the lack of annotation. They say they are working on this. For the moment, when I have a pdf that I wish to scribble on, I send it from GoodReader to iAnnotate and mark up there.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
A big drawback for the moment is the lack of annotation. They say they are working on this. For the moment, when I have a pdf that I wish to scribble on, I send it from GoodReader to iAnnotate and mark up there.

There's an app called Aji Annotate that supposedly allows you to annotate PDF books. I've never tried it though. I did download the Aji Reader PDF (it was free), but I couldn't get the wireless sync to work to add books, so I can't tell if Aji is a good PDF reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
iBooks can be slow on an iphone3g running ios4, but is ok on the iphone4 and iPad, well it is for me.
I have a 3rd Gen iTouch and the iBooks app is very very sluggish. What takes a split second for Kindle/Stanza/Goodreader takes several seconds for iBooks. And the lag is worse if the book is bought from the iBookstore. The app works noticeably faster for ePubs that I sideloaded.

Last edited by arcadata; 08-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

I use Aji's iAnnotate. It works well and you can load documents down from the web with its built-in browser or from DropBox. Usually, however, I wirelessly transfer from my computer with GoodReader, and then use the OpenIn command to transfer to iAnnotate. I do this because I have found GoodReader offers excellent file-handling.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's true. You can't. There is no way to sync a PDF viewing program on a desktop with a PDF viewing program on an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

Besides, what do you call it when the information give is clearly wrong?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
TimMason
Big Ears

Quote:
There is no way to sync a PDF viewing program on a desktop with a PDF viewing program on an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.
If you use the wifi capacity on e.g. Goodreader and the Folders Synchronizer X by SofttoBe (OSX) you can synchronize the folders in the Goodreader sandbox. Doesn't Windows have synchronization built in? Just copy over and it asks if you want to update or replace, if I recall correctly.