Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Lots of wonderful apps in the app store really! I have soo many favorites already. just go to itunes store and go to the top50/100 apps.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Thanks guys.

Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Didn't see anyone mention it, but I like eReader they don't have the huge list as amazon, but sometimes I do find cheaper prices with their store. You can also read your books on your desktop with their free software.

PocketGod = Fun!
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
PandoraBox - a great free app that watches the app store for sales and freebies. Worth it if you want to wait for an app to come down in price

Dictionary - App related to dictionary.com

Midomi - listens to some music and tells you what it is (I've found this very useful when a piece of music is annoying me and I want to know what it is)

These are a few of my personal favourite free apps. There are others paid for, but it all depends on what you like...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Excellent - as a writer, the dictionary one is very appealing! Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #21
defender
defender began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wikimap

Check out Wikimap which allows users to save open street maps for offline navigation and browsing. It also allows the creation of new waypoints and uploading of images (related to the waypoints) which are automatically shared to other Wikimap users.

http://wiki.alumni.net/wiki/Wikimap
defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #22
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
The camera does not have a zoom function, until you download a little beauty called "Camera Zoom v1.1"

There is also a new Tom Tom function. Your phone becomes a Sat Nav. Maybe not much use in NSW but useful in Europe.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #23
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use Camera Zoom which I love.
There is also an alternative which is called camera Genius (or something like that). It does have some better features, but I still prefer the simplicity of Camera Zoom.

One thing to note, this doesn't zoom as such, rather crops the images on the fly - still, they do a great job and clean up the image before it is saved. highly advisable
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

More good tips, thanks!

And we have Tom Toms here. We're not THAT backward.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #25
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Does Stanza for the iPhone finally support formatted text? As in "italic", "bold" etc?
I tested the desktop version which does not recognize any of these, and removes images from epub and html too.

Is the iPhone version any better?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #26
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Italics appears on my iPhone stanza.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Does Stanza for the iPhone finally support formatted text? As in "italic", "bold" etc?
I tested the desktop version which does not recognize any of these, and removes images from epub and html too.

Is the iPhone version any better?
Yes. Stanza iPhone has supported styles since day one. It's just Stanza Desktop that's lagging behind, hence, the reason I use Calibre instead.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Welcome to the iPhone/Touch reader club!

I'd definitely recommend jailbreaking. Some things I have on my 32G 3GS:

Stanza
Action Menu
SBSettings
Five Icon Dock
Five Coumn Springboard
FiveIRows

Units
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Thanks. I've been finding some amazing apps (I've got the phone now). Keep the tips coming!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, Lets split up the recommenadations a bit

Document and Reading Related -

* Stanza - One of the best ebook reading programs available on the iphone.

* eReader - A Very nice readerw which syncs up with eReader/Fictionwise

* Files - A great program for just getting your documents on the iPhone. It allws yout o just copy files and folders onto you iPhone, and access them on the go. It also allows you to place bookmarks inside documents, which is really handy.

* Bookshelf -A Really nice reader which natively supports non protected Mobi/PDB/PRC and has a companion program to easily allow you to access a folder or HD over your network.

I Use all four for different things, Stanza for general reading, and eReader for all the stuff I buy off fictionwise (Though stanza supports it as well, like to keep it separate).

Files is great place to store important documenst, and text files which i want I access to at all times. Bookshelf, I just point at a folder where I've stored all my Mobi formatted files, and just download the ones I want to read actively.

Entertainment related -

* Twit.am - Access to the TWIT Live audio feed and chatroom, a definate must if you follow tech news.

* Fstream - Streaming Radio app which allows you to add your own streams.

* France24 Live - Live Streaming International news video.

* Shazam - Music ID App, allows you to ID whats playing on the radio or TV

* Midomi - Music ID app, which also allows you to sing or hum the song.

I Use a couple of others like Spotify, but which are not availabe to you I believe.

General -

* Appsniper - Allows you to track and see price in price of different apps in the App store. Its a great way to see whether or not a app has really gone down, and to have active watch list of apps which will inform you when a price has changed. Best $1 Spent.

* Wikiamo - Great interface to access Wikipedia. Much better then the official app.

* Convert - Best multiple conversion App i've used, and while there are a ton of free ones available, the slick interface and extended fuctionality is worh the buck it cost.

* Photgene - Nice basic photo editor which allows you tyo make a few changes such as Levels, Exposure, Colors, RGB, crop, straighten, etc. great f you want to do a bit of minimal editing befor emailing photos ftraight off the phone.

* Facebook - Great interface to access facebook, better then the web interface in many ways IMHO.

* IRChon - nice little IRC client

* VLC Remote - Nice app which allows you to control VLC over wifi, allowing normal play back function, modify playlist etc. Relly hand if you use VLC as your primary media player.

* Air Mouse - Allows you to control everything on your computer as it acts as an additional mouse and keyboard interface, and works nicely, though is a little finicky for my taste.

These are just a few of the great apps I use pretty regularly.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote