Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Java RSS2Book?

The RSS2Book thing looks great, but it's Windows only

I can hack a program out of Java, and I know a lot of other people here can too (if not better). So how about making a Java-based RSS2Book?

Before I start anything I am wondering what backends should be used for RSS parsing and PDF generating?

Here is what I found for PDF generating:
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

And RSS parsing:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/feedparser/

The jakarta RSS parser looks to be way overkill for what I'm looking for, though. Any other suggestions for something lighter weight?

Any thoughts on the PDF generator?

Anyone want to work on the Java RSS2Book another than me?

Thanks!
Sam Krupa
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
griffbrad
griffbrad began at the beginning.

Alternative OS Hacking

Earlier this week, I hacked up a tool that lets me download RSS feeds and the related articles, tweak various aspects of them (header, footer, logo, cover page, etc.), and uses HTMLDoc to convert the result HTML to a PDF sized for the sony reader.
I did this in Python with the goal of being able to manage news on my Linux box.
I'm considering extending these tools further and writing a PyGTK frontend to this tool and perhaps adding in Music/Photo management and a Project Gutenberg/Creative Commons book browser as well. Essentially, a cross-platform, open source Connect alternative.
The biggest problem, however, is the actual USB syncing to the Reader. I don't have much experience with USB hacking, so I'd need help on that part of the project.
Currently, I have to pop an SD card into my reader, sync up and then put it back in the reader.
Anyway, in short, I'm very interested in working on any project aimed at making cross platform use of these devices more practical, and while I don't work in Java uch, I'll certainly keep an eye on any project that pops up and hopefully will be contributing some Python-based projects in the near future.
griffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
The iText library is excellent for generating PDF. I've written RSS/Atom parsing logic using the NekoHTML library, the code of which is available in the Sunrise project. Contrary to what its name suggests, you can adapt NekoHTML to parse any tag-based format. The problem with RSS is that many feeds are ill-formed, so any strict XML parser will choke on them.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Igor has already written Python code for much of the necessary USB plumbing. I'm willing to post my C# code for rss2book soon which may help kickstart Java apps; right now its a bit busted as I'm trying to incorporate USB access too.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I will start an RSS2Book project in Java if I ever have some free time!

Sam Krpa
Advert
Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Okay,
I have the basic RSS parser code setup, now I need an interface and I need to connect it to HTMLDoc.

I was wondering about comics on the Reader, anyone want to write a comics downloader?

Sam Krupa
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Shake
Shake began at the beginning.

Hi,

I am also very interested in such a nice piece of software. And maybe I can help you.
Do you have a public SVN/CVS server anywhere? A sourceforge project?
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Nothing like that is setup, but I can post the latest version of the code here if you want.

It is coming along nicely, almost caught up with geekraver's development of his RSS2Book, but some the code is very buggy (-:

Want to take a look?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@griffbrad http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Shake

Hi,

yes - I would definitly like to take a look at the code.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Java RSS2Book--Latest Code 12-14-06

I am a beginner coder, so don't hurt my little spaghetti code!

The file included is a Java source (java 5) file that needs to be compiled. It is in a compressed zip file and the images used in the program are included.

It requires as a dependency:

http://informa.sourceforge.net/

and HTMLDoc must be installed. Only tested on Mac OS X 10.4 so far.

Any feedback from Java coders would be welcome (including new code!).

The code is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Have fun!

UPDATE: Actually included file this time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RSS2Book.zip (51.2 KB, 698 views)

Last edited by sammykrupa; 12-14-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
Shake

Thanks for posting. I have taken a short look at it. I hope I will find some time soon to make some improvements.

Just one comment to the license: I think Creative Commons licences should preferably used for documents or other data like pictures or music.
For programs I would prefer the GPL...
Old 12-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Any feedback from Java coders would be welcome (including new code!).
You might wish to think about seperating out the gui from the logic... Currently everything is one class which might be confusing when it becomes more complex...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Thanks for the info jaed and Shake! Question, does Java RSS2Book "work" fine for you guys on your systems? What OSs are you guys using?

Thanks!
Sam Krupa
Old 12-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Shake

I have set up a project a java.net. I selected GPL as license. May I use your work and release it under the GPL?