Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
PM me about Christmas titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I just bought a Pocket Pro (and love it so far, flashed the firmware last night, no problems), but didn't order the charity pack because the links made it look like it was Christmas (I'm not Christian) and Dickens (I don't much care for him) oriented. Still, Second Harvest is awesome, and if I'd read more closely, I'd probably have bought it to help support them.

I did get the 2 gig card, with the Halloween stories and the 300 PG books, though. It wasn't on the invoice or the box (it came last Monday). I assumed someone just chucked it in. I'm more than willing to pay for it or to send it back, as it appears it was an error. Robertb, just drop me an e-mail if I can make this right.

It was very nice to get it, though. Gave me something to read right away after the initial charge. My friends were impressed, too.
I am sorry to call them Christmas titles and not Holiday Classics. I understand that we need to be as open to all... no matter what religion or no religion.

Dop me a P.M. and I can give you a link to downlaod the Holiday Classics! I have done this for others and they said it worked great!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dop me a P.M. and I can give you a link to downlaod the Holiday Classics! I have done this for others and they said it worked great!
I shouldn't have gotten the 2 gig SD card, as I didn't buy the gift basket. That's why I was offering to return it or to pay for it.

Not that it isn't a lovely touch!
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
I shouldn't have gotten the 2 gig SD card, as I didn't buy the gift basket. That's why I was offering to return it or to pay for it.

The 2 GB SD card loaded with books has been included with all Astak purchases since at least October. It is a very lovely touch and part of what makes Astak such a class act.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lovely touch!

Quote:

Dear QIbHom:

Our Head Techie does some nice things even I do not know about. His including the 2GB card is one of them. He does this because WE at Astak feel that it is frustrating to open a new box with a new device and then NOT be able to use it. It would be like buying a radio where there is no signal.

The key thing is we at Astak are always trying to be down-to-earth and in touch with our customers. We do not look at the sale being the end... we see it as the beginning!

Enjoy your 2GB card with classics pre-loaded!!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Ah, thank you, Polly and RobertB. It was, indeed, a very nice touch. It has impressed my friends who have Kindles and Sonys and such. I'd downloaded a bunch of stuff from Baen and PG, but I didn't have time to load them after the initial charge.

In fact, one of my co-workers saw me with it today, and asked for the url to get one after playing with it for about a minute flat.
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Robertb

That is how the word gets around!

Quote:
Ah, thank you, Polly and RobertB. It was, indeed, a very nice touch. It has impressed my friends who have Kindles and Sonys and such. I'd downloaded a bunch of stuff from Baen and PG, but I didn't have time to load them after the initial charge.

In fact, one of my co-workers saw me with it today, and asked for the url to get one after playing with it for about a minute flat.
In a better economic climate, Astak would be advertising and meeting press. Not this year. We have a fine product... but friends and co-workers are going to be the way word spreads.

I hate being the "Best Kept Secret". This is a really fine device that offers so much more. I just wish more people knew about it!!

Thank you for showing it to the coworker!!

Do not forget to feed the FAQ sheet on [url]www.theEZreader.com under support. That is filled with great info!!

Always recharge when the battery life meter shows a little below half. Meters are never very exact and doing it this way has worked wonderfully for me!!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Always recharge when the battery life meter shows a little below half. Meters are never very exact and doing it this way has worked wonderfully for me!!
Good to know. One of the main reasons I got it was because I commute 4 hours a day, give or take, on trains and buses. I was sick of mis-estimating when I'd finish books. So, running out of power would annoy me. Although the instructions said to fully discharge and fully charge the battery the first 3 or so cycles.

I'm going to a library vendor conference with a heavy technical component in March. One of my librarians has a couple different e-readers, so we're going to round up a few more friends with e-readers, and do a BOF in the bar one evening. Let folks play with them, answer questions, stuff like that. Very informal. Should be fun, and it is hard to drop serious money on a device you've never gotten to fondle. Lot of interest in e-readers among library technical staff.

Word of mouth is slow, but once it reaches a certain critical mass, it is danged near unstoppable.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Good to know. One of the main reasons I got it was because I commute 4 hours a day, give or take, on trains and buses. I was sick of mis-estimating when I'd finish books. So, running out of power would annoy me. Although the instructions said to fully discharge and fully charge the battery the first 3 or so cycles.
Only 4 Hours of reading EVERY day for a week, on a battery charge, is a piece of cake on my PEz.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Good battery

Could not sleep , so I plugged in a set of Sony MDR-V150 over the ear headphones (more efficient and better sounding than the ear buds) into my PEz and read for over 4 hours with the music playing the whole time.

Only down 1 bar and I did not start with a full charge wit the music or page turns OR battery life.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I am sorry to call them Christmas titles and not Holiday Classics. I understand that we need to be as open to all... no matter what religion or no religion.
LOL. Wouldn't that imply that there would be Classics from from Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Cinco de Mayo, as well? Perhaps Mother's Day, even tho' its not technically a "holiday"?

I know. This PC thing can get out of hand at times and makes advertising a challenge, and I don't envy your position trying to avoid offending someone somewhere.

The gift pack is a generous offering, no matter what type of books are included, which are but a small part of what makes the package what it is -- and can be erased if not to the recipient's liking.

However, perhaps you have inadvertently hit on why the Halloween books are still included.

By the way, I got mine, but all I am allowed to see is this big cardboard box. Sigh.

And did you really mean the Holiday package needs to be ordered by January 18? Are you sure you don't mean Dec 18? Probably were looking at the same calendar when quoting the date of the expected firmware update, eh?

Ahhhh. Perhaps "Seasonal Classics" would be a better description.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I also bought myself the gift pack! I am very very happy with the deivce. After reading tons of reviews and doing much research on the Kindle, Sony reader and Nook, I decided to go with the Pocket Pro. I went to diff. bookstores to try out all the devices before I bought but was not able to find that had Pocket Pro. However, after reading reviews on all the devices I was extreamly pleased to several users saying things such as "the support offered by astak is outsounding", "I have never dealt with a company that has such great coustomer service". One person mentioning that astak had called him directly after realizing that there was a flaw in the paint (from what I read it's corrected now) and offered to send him a replacement free of charge. While the device it self was the primary reason for going with astak, the coustomer sevice reviews had a huge part in my choice. I am happy to see that a company is concerned with everyones satifaction.

Now, my question.... I have seen online that some people were able to change thier greetting screens to display names and address. I would like to know if anyone knows how to do this. I would much rather have it stored in the device than have to put an ugly address sticker on it in case it gets misplaced.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post

Now, my question.... I have seen online that some people were able to change thier greetting screens to display names and address. I would like to know if anyone knows how to do this. I would much rather have it stored in the device than have to put an ugly address sticker on it in case it gets misplaced.

I think you need to download the logomaker application from Jinke.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #28
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I think you need to download the logomaker application from Jinke.
@Nimblem
The logomaker Jusmee mentioned is available from the Astak website also. There are versions for both the 5" and 6" readers. This is how to do it:
Quote:
Method of update logo

1. Prepare two pictures in bmp format, size is 600×800 pixels, one is booting logo and the other is power off interface.

2. Use LogoMaker to produce logo.bin and logo.md5.

3. Create /jinke/logo/ folders under the root index of SD card, copy logo.bin and logo.md5 to this folder.

4.Insert SD card to device

5.Enter into settings fuction, the item will be appeared, which is "Update boot and shutdown logo".

6. Press number key and press OK to update logo.

7.The device can automatically restart after successfully update.
If you ever want to go back to the original start up and close down screens (instead of the custom ones) this is possible by reinstalling the firmware.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
QIbHom
Connoisseur

e-Geezer, I'm not being PC, just pointing out that not everyone is Christian. Heck, aren't you a little sick by now of "Frosty the Snowman"? Especially when done musak-style?

There are good alternatives. As someone pointed out, "holiday" is too vague. But, something like the "Dickens and Friends Gift Basket" or the "Second Harvest Gift Pack" would also get the point across. Even "Post-Ghost Scrooge Basket" might work.

It isn't a big deal. Only meant to comment that a *quick* glance at the gift basket made it look less attractive than it really was, to me. My co-worker is getting one, though, so it all works out. It isn't like I can't send a check off to Second Harvest (excellent choice of charity, btw, they rock) without aid.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
e-Geezer, I'm not being PC, just pointing out that not everyone is Christian. Heck, aren't you a little sick by now of "Frosty the Snowman"?
LOL on the Frosty comment. (He is, however, only a Winter song, not a Christmas song.)

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to be commenting on your comment. While I enjoy a Christmas carol now and then, at this time of the year, I tune off my normal "Oldies" station because the day after Thanksgiving, they start playing nothing but Christmas carols.

I was merely commenting on Robert's position (as with all retailers) in having to twist in knots to avoid offense during this season, which is supposed to be one of celebrating joy and peace -- such as there might be.

The rest of the year, PC is just fine, but the Christmas Season is the Christmas Season, and it celebrates the birth of a famous historical figure upon whom a somewhat extensive set of religions has been based. (Acknowledging, of course, that the birth was actually in March and some roman emperor wanted the March gift-exchanges to take place during HIS celebration in December)

I only roll my eyes at all those who want to celebrate the season without acknowledging (or having anyone else acknowledge) the historical reference while demanding that they, too, be recognized merely for NOT buying (pun intended) into the original basis for the season. I may or may not be in one camp or the other, but its all just silliness just the same.

But I do heartily agree in this instance that some other more generic term would be appropriate, and was just sympathizing with Robert's position.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote