Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Distracted by the hunt

I've been reading ebooks for quite a while but just recently bought a dedicated reading device (well, three of them to be precise). The problem is that I've fallen in love with all my "gadgets" and now spend most of my time chasing down content - free and other.
I think I'm actually spending LESS time reading! But I'm downloading new books almost everyday. Mastercard and Visa love me. :-)

Is this weird or just a temporary fascination with the devices? Anyone else having this problem - esp. Kindle owners?
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think this is relatively common with new gadgets. A person wants to feel that she hasn't wasted her money, so she searches out a load of content in order to justify the original investment.
If you like classics then try our (free) ebook section and save some money.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
pff, that's nothing. just wait till you decide to start making your own books (by formatting gutenberg texts for example). it's crazy to spend more time formatting a book than you do reading it, right ? but... that's what happens... just ask Patricia...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've actually decided to read on of the eBooks I've formatted. Both to correct errors ad because I like the way the author writes. It's the first free eBook from Tor that came as PDF.

PDF is a problem these days as far as free eBooks go. Too many authors think PDF is a good format to give away when it's an absolutely dreadful format to give away.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It is a normal thing eBookNerd, as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Now I for one love making new ebooks that I can share with others through the MobileRead download section.

I have not posted many books lately and it is Patricia's fault. Yes that Patricia who posted response #2 in this thread. She posted a wonderful collection of Voltaire books (a lot that I had only read about but never read.) I have become distracted. (And work also seems to intrude on my ebook creation time.) Then there's Dr Drib and his cheesy pulp novels. I'll get back to posting again, right now I'm having too much fun reading.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must spend at least 10x as long creating books than I do reading them. Although I am actually now starting to read some of the books I've created .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Is this weird or just a temporary fascination with the devices? Anyone else having this problem - esp. Kindle owners?
Quite normal! I had a 5 week wait for my Kindle (I know; that's less than some people had to wait) and I spent that month reading in these forums and downloading books from the Books forum here. Now that I've got scads and scads of free books, I'm reading like crazy. So one goes through phases. I'm *trying* to only have one purchased book at a time, since it is so easy to go purchase another with the Kindle. Almost TOO easy .... in fact, you never have to see the price of the book, if you download the sample and then click "buy the whole thing". Well, supposedly you saw the price while asking for the sample, but I don't always remember.

Enjoy!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
It's kinda like those people who have this urge to go into every bookstore they see, AND need to buy a book from every bookstore they go into. Quite a lot of people buy way more books than they actually read.
Some have this to-read list of about 20 books, but always rearrange this list when they find a new book they want to read "soon"
I used to work in a second hand bookstore, and we love those kinds of people that buy more than they actually read, because the books they bring in usually are in almost new shape (apart from the few they have actually read of course).
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote