Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #301
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
It's possible to change those settings, someone in the german community actually released a little mod to enable better hyphenation for german, english and russian.

The KoboRootX.tgz file in the package is the file you want to use.

http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...-glo/?c2060e18
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #302
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it out though. It doesn't mention fw 2.5. Have you installed it yourself?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #303
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thanks for the answer on the hyphens. That means that Kobo is using a newer version of ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #304
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
PC Mag have their own review up.

There are a few points the reviewer points out:
  • The device feels heavier
  • The Aura HD takes about 10 seconds to wake up from sleep

Anybody have similar issues with the Aura yet?

Last edited by RZetlin; 04-22-2013 at 01:58 PM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #305
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Very sober, just white, black and brown http://www.kobo.com/koboauraHD
I'm sort of hoping that if it is a hit and they keep offering it, we might see some more exciting colors. I would love a wine color or dark blue. Could also go for a deep purple.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #306
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post

I need to read the review but....

1. The device is heavier but not by much. I expected it to be because of the size.

2. I just timed mine and from sleep it took a little over a second to open the page and turn on the light.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #307
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it out though. It doesn't mention fw 2.5. Have you installed it yourself?
Yes just did the update to 2.5 today to check out the report about improved (darker) font rendering in that version, and it works fine.
Btw the fonts really got darker, I could decrease the strength setting by two levels with the new patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0023.png
Views:	472
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	104794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0027.png
Views:	484
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	104795  
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #308
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Well of course it's heavier; it's bigger. It is still a smidgen lighter than my kindle keyboard, which is fine.

I don't know what the deal is with the 10 sec delay.

Anyway, what interests me is side by side, he says text just plain looks better than kpw. Very even lighting, no cones at bottom like kpw. Pretty impressive because the bigger the screen, the harder it is to get lighting even.

What's keeping me from ordering is that weird back because of my abnormal hand.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #309
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Ok, just got my hands on one.
It is only very slightly heavier than a Touch, and I don't think I would notice a difference in using an Aura.

Wake from sleep, with WiFi enabled is about a second, Touch is the same.

Going to sleep is about 0.5 of a second slower than the Touch.

Dev credits don't seem to be in the About Kobo Aura HD screen, *sniff*
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #310
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Ok, just got my hands on one.
It is only very slightly heavier than a Touch, and I don't think I would notice a difference in using an Aura.
The only place I could find weights is the Future Shop site. They are not exactly famous for accuracy.

Kobo Touch 200 grams
Kobo Glo 190 grams
Kobo Aura 240 grams
Sleep cover Glo 140 grams
Sleep cover Aura 180 grams

I would notice a difference between the Glo with a sleep cover and the Aura with a sleep cover. 90 grams = 3.17 ounces.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #311
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:

The author of the article has edited it. He had meant to say from power off instead of sleep. He is saying from sleep it is almost instantaneous.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #312
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
A Kobo Aura Review from MarketNews.

Summary: Great hardware, but disappointing UI for the online bookstore.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #313
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
Just checked WHSmith UK my sleep case has dispatched just waiting on the Aura HD. As it goes WHSmith UK are now quoting the Espresso Brown and the Ivory as out of stock, only the the Black one remains open to pre order!
I have tried checking WHSmithUK on Chrome and also IE, but when I login all I get is a white page with a bunch of links that don't work. The only link that works is the logout one Will just have to wait for my tracking email to hit my inbox.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #314
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Yes just did the update to 2.5 today to check out the report about improved (darker) font rendering in that version, and it works fine.
Btw the fonts really got darker, I could decrease the strength setting by two levels with the new patch.
Which font is that? I'd like to know so I can avoid it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #315
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I have tried checking WHSmithUK on Chrome and also IE, but when I login all I get is a white page with a bunch of links that don't work. The only link that works is the logout one Will just have to wait for my tracking email to hit my inbox.
I've been using Chrome Beta on my GT-N7100 (phone) and Safari on my 3rd Gen iPad with no problems at all. Because I signed up to Whsmith with a Google mail account all the tracking info gets rounded up by Google Now so I'm just waiting for my phone to beep!!
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote